Hudson Advisors

Updated February 26, 2015
4.1

Bob Corcoran

Tough, but good

I have been working at Hudson Advisors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's like experience on steroids. Typically, I master jobs within about 2 months and am anxious to be promoted. That would not be the case here. The people are all brilliant and hard working. You can learn a lot

Cons

The stress and anxiety surrounding me never really ceases. That's a relatively new experience for me. I definitely feel some pains in my chest most days and the work life balance isn't really there. If you're used to working in IB in NYC, then this will be a walk in the park. If you're a Texas lad from a non-IB past, it'll be a rude awakening

Develop strategies to share the planned direction and load balance your people

The most amazing career of my life so far!!

I have been working at Hudson Advisors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere in the New York office is unlike any I've ever experienced. It's vibrant and full of intelligent, motivated people that have the patience to explain all of the confusing concepts that are in this line of work (structured finance). I absolutely love working with the people on my small team and have learned so much in such a short time. The work creates pressure as there are dealines everywhere but the time really flies and no more is expected of you than what you're actually capable of doing. I've found this to be a strength of the management - to be able to manage timelines and allocate resources appropriately.

While the days can certainly be long and demanding, the rewards make it all worthwhile. Everything, from the compensation and benefits to the after work social events, has created great experiences that keep me motivated to work harder. Both the institution and the work have definitely met expectations (prior to accepting the job offer) as the perfect place to work.

Cons

The hours can be long so managing my social life with work during the weeks can be difficult at times.

Great Company, high turnover

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hudson Advisors

Pros

Awesome benefits, laid back environment, and fun place to work.

Cons

Laid off and while I was there I saw many people get laid off.

Fast paced working environment, and loving it….

I have been working at Hudson Advisors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work hard and fast from the moment you walk in the door. Love the busy days, time goes by so quick I have to set an alarm to leave on time. Company benefits are on par or above standard for the industry. Company provided new modern HP laptop dual monitors and iPhone from day one. Plenty of fun after work corporate events and charitable fund raisers for the community. Holiday Party is awesome! Larry North Fitness is in the building and Hudson Advisors pays a portion of the membership cost. Got to love getting in shape while at work and not having to make time after work. Hudson Advisors provides underground parking in the building and that’s a plus in my book.

Cons

Hard work and fast pace. If you’re not ready to work all day and at times work at home, you may want to look at the greener grass on the other side of the fence.

Running a successful company is hard enough, your employees make the difference. Hire the rights ones from the start, provide the tools they need and it will all work out.

Quality company from the ground up

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at Hudson Advisors

Pros

Started by a world-class management team who actively recognize the value of their employees. Sustainable workflow and growth, excellent pay and work environment, and excellent management across every department I have encountered thus far.

These people know what it takes to attract and keep high-performing employees.

Cons

The work can be challenging, but it is easily manageable and nothing you wouldn't expect to see from a finance position at a relatable company.

Run! Don't walk away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Hudson Advisors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary isn't too bad and Health benefits are adequate.

Cons

I have no idea who these people are that give this location 4 and 5 stars, but I have to believe they are fake or current employees asked to make a comment and bring the score up. The work environment, extreme office politics, it's like being back in High School. You will confront many people who think they know what they are talking about, but couldn't figure out how to get out of a wet paper bag. I'll say it again, don't walk, but run as fast as you can to another company.

Grow up, stop creating such a hostile and opprobrium environment. Stop acting like you in HS or Jr High and actually listen to the people actually performing the work, that's what good managers do.

OK Pay, Terrible Middle Management and Business Practices

I have been working at Hudson Advisors

Pros

The pay is generally okay. The location of the actual office in Dallas is nice. There is a great opportunity to learn, but this place is only a stepping stone.

Cons

Management: seriously, get some real management (VPs and SVP) in there that values their employees and knows how to remove the political aspect from the workplace -- this seriously distracts and destroys the investors' profits

Work Space: not conducive to working and being efficient/effective; some departments allow for privacy and quiet while others are totally egregious with half-wall cubicles; the latter really, really makes no sense due to they are the ones bringing in the money for the funds!

Work/Life Balance: dependent upon which department you're in, there is generally none; to be fair, some employees get special treatment and do feel valued, while the majority are not made to feel valued nor their personal lives

Turnover: is insane; in all the years I've been around, I've never seen the type of turnover as there is at Hudson; yes, there are business cycles, but this place is a joke in turn of high turnover/low morale!

In summary, you truly should evaluate middle management based on the opinions of the employees. Some are great, others have become tyrants that only live to make a paycheck and watch out for their own selves. Also, if you won't consider providing employees with privacy and quiet instead of a bullpen call center, why not consider remote work a bit more for those employees that would benefit as well as the company?

Incredible first "real" job experience - a high bar has been set

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hudson Advisors as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Although I can only compare my time here with my past experience in the entertainment and service industries, I have found this company (or at least my department) to have an extremely positive, encouraging, and helpful attitude. Each person is cared for. I am only a contractor, so I don't get to enjoy the benefits (which I hear are fantastic) but I do know that I don't have to take my work home with me. I get to enjoy having plenty to do for 40 hours a week and then I get paid enough and have enough free time to pursue my other passions.

Cons

I received very little training at my job's onset. Sometimes I feel like I have to really prove that I'm doing worthwhile things that only I know how to do so that I can have some job security. But I try to turn these con's into pro's by having them push me toward doing my best work possible.

Look for the opportunities

Current Employee - Supervisor Quality Control in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor Quality Control in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hudson Advisors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are amazing and most work with your schedule if flexibility is needed. It is a strong company with an innovative mindset so speaking up and offering a new outlook is not frowned upon. The people are nice to work with and an attitude of mutual respect is shared throughout the organization. Hudson requires an annual performance review which is a great opportunity to express wants/needs/opportunitites for growth for the employees and managers who take it seriously

Cons

Working from home even though most of your work is completed on the computer is not much of an option. I think it would be beneficial to both employee and employer to offer that flexibility.

I think Hudson should provide more growth opportunities through mentorship and leadership training for their current employees who show an interest and capacity to become prominent leaders in the organization.

Great place if you want to stay long-term

Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hudson Advisors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy the people at the company and the company itself promotes a relaxed atmosphere. There are events throughout the year where employees get to leave early to go have fun. The pay is above-market across the company and the benefits make it a place you want to stay.

Cons

The work itself is challenging, but manageable. The company is now subject to more regulation, so there are changes to the existing processes, which can be difficult to implement.

Hudson Advisors Photos