Hudson's Furniture

Updated July 6, 2014
Updated July 6, 2014
3.4

Joshua Hudson

Hudson's is a good place to work, IF you're Not afraid to work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hudson's Furniture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is Opportunity to excel and make a very nice living at Hudson's Furniture; if you plan your work; and work your plan.
    They have beautiful show rooms and Quality furniture to sell! I've been in sales for over 25 years. I'm GOOD at it…no; I'm GREAT at it! In fact; you've probably purchased something from me at some point in your life and never once had to complain about my service to you! Your CON is a PRO for me; yes the turn over is high, which leaves MORE opportunity for me to pick up the slack and sell your customers that you left behind…NOT because Hudson's is a bad place to work. But because like ALL Sales floors…only the strong survive! I'm a hard worker and an Honest one. Shocking for a sales person isn't it?

If you are Non-motivated, Lazy, and Undisciplined you will Not survive here or anywhere in the Sales Industry.
    I humbly suggest you find another line of work. Out of all my years working in sales in one form or another. The ones who are not successful are the ones that are complaining constantly and Not using their time wisely. When I get lazy and don't do my follow-up calls, ask for referrals etc…I too become disheartened.

Life is too short to be miserable. If you thrive on pleasing people and conquering obstacles to achieve your goals You will Soar above others because Sales is in your blood. If you lie, make broken promises, are afraid to take pride in the place you work and keep it clean, then Hudson's is not for you. It's a family owned company. I could talk all day long about what I like and don't like. but guess what? This is Earth folks, third rock from the sun. We aren't in Heaven Yet, so stop expecting unrealistic things from ANYONE in life. Make your own happiness and take responsibility for your own actions.

Cons

If Sales is not in you blood, you will be a sinking ship regardless of where you work...

Allow associates a desk to sit while working leads, doing follow up calls etc..
    They will be more productive and save the appearance of the furniture on the floor!!

Outdated and Stale compay

I have been working at Hudson's Furniture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some talented sales people that have worked here through thick n thin!!

Cons

Working private sales every month, bell to bell, long days no lunches except gulping something down quick! There is too much special ordering that can take 8 to 20 weeks in some cases and we don't get paid till that's delivered.

You have to spend money to make money!! We need new computers, software get rid of frog! The majority of the stores have POOR lighting, makes it hard to sell. Take a look at your managers starting from the top, what value and insight are they providing? Visiting stores and sitting there for a few hours does nothing.

Sales and management at many different stores for over 20 years.

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hudson's Furniture full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This is a very progressive furniture organization. They reward great people by paying a very fair commission and bonus system. You really feel like you are empowered to run your own business.

Cons

Commission is not for everyone. We know that all the best people prefer a commission based pay, after all the highest paid profession in the world is commission based sales.

For your top executives, shop around the world to find the highest quality management. The company is poised for great things.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great family owned business and wonderful to work for.

Current Employee - Office Worker  in  Sanford, FL
    Current Employee - Office Worker in Sanford, FL

I have been working at Hudson's Furniture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very flexible company. Because it is relatively small, people can make an impact and change things that you can't do at a larger company. Always aimed for excellence in every facet. It's retail so it is run lean, so there is always plenty to do. They are always reviewing what other companies are doing to try to improve their operations. Looking for best practices no matter where they come from.

Cons

The point of sale system could be better.

Continue doing what you've been doing and also make sure to encourage everyone to have fun with their jobs.

Great place to work if you feel confident in your sales skills

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Hudson's Furniture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best commission pay out there when you take in all factors. Great advertising and great managers overall. Everyone is very hands on.

Cons

Sales Commission is not easy. Plus it is a business dependent on lots of humans (delivery, service, etc) so there are opportunities for errors and issues. I feel the company does a really good job managing those but that is all I could come up with negative.

Keep doing what you are doing! The company is growing and that is due to the management.

If you are the best, then Hudson's is for you!!!!

Current Employee - Sales/Management
    Current Employee - Sales/Management

I have been working at Hudson's Furniture full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have TOTALLY enjoyed working with Hudson's Furniture. It is a family owned business that is not content with the "status quo". They are always looking for ways to grow and the reward is there for those who are willing to work hard, and have a positive attitude. The benefits package added this last year is great. Regardless of what is said, when you have the opportunity to talk to ownership, you will see that they really do care about people! The philosophy of " Improving lives" is true. The amount of advertising will drive traffic to the store, so you don't have to worry about lack of traffic (sure there are slow times as in any business).

Cons

No company is perfect. It is RETAIL, so the hours can be long as well as working the weekends and Holidays, but if you understand that when you are in a commission pay structure, then you will WANT to be there during those times.

My advice to management is simple. Don't ever stop listening to your employees. They bring a wealth of knowledge and they are on the "front lines". Keep listening.

Amazing

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Ocoee, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Ocoee, FL

I have been working at Hudson's Furniture full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best thing to work at Hudson's is: all the employees are valued to them and they invest the best in their employees to have them be successful and secure a good future .

Cons

Hiring the right people

We need to keep searching to hire the best of the best and with our successful training classes I thing it will keep the company going in the right direction and improve it to a hire level.

Working at Hudsons

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Ocoee, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Ocoee, FL

I have been working at Hudson's Furniture full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Family owned company, good products on display in showroom.

Cons

Working weekends and holidays and day's off, but that's retail.

Keep employees updated and make them feel part of the team, and create a good working atmosphere in the store.

Earnings are far short of given estimates

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Brandon, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Brandon, FL

I have been working at Hudson's Furniture full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are nice that you work with. Clean and fun job.

Cons

Financial rewards are not what are estimated, they like to keep employees on probationary status. Pay scales changes. Never have enough stock to handle orders.

Use progressive discipline and increase commissions. Increase stock levels to meet order needs

Problems Throughout Management

Former Employee - Design Consultant  in  Pinellas Park, FL
    Former Employee - Design Consultant in Pinellas Park, FL

I worked at Hudson's Furniture full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. I can't think of one good reason to work for them.

Cons

Hudson's has constant turnover at all levels of the company. They seem very unsure of what direction they want the company to go in therefore policy changes DAILY. Also, the compensation plan for commissioned salespeople changes every 3 months with the rate of pay getting lower while requirements for job description/responsibilities increase. While in training, it is STRONGLY inferred that salespeople are independent contractors, yet there is a never ending list of duties/chores which include housecleaning duties in assigned areas. I'm not just talking fluffing pillows either. Your base pay if you do not deliver enough furniture in a month is MINIMUM WAGE. And for this minimum wage hourly pay the company expects you to sell furniture, process all data concerning sales in their inferior computer operating system, take and process all payments, process confidential financing paperwork, arrange for all deliveries, make sure that another one of the Hudson's locations has not stolen merchandise that has already been bought and paid for by YOUR CUSTOMER, hand write and hang individual sales tags for your assigned area several times a month with basically the same sale a.k.a. 50% PERCENT OFF, work all kinds of PROMOTIONAL sales with less than a few days notification, constantly pressured to work on your days off, work while you are sick and under doctor's care, sweep/ vacuum, dust, clean glass and mirrors, empty waste baskets, etc. and the list goes on...
    VERY UNPROFFESSIONAL COMPANT TO WORK FOR!

My advice to management is to resign. Every one of you need to be replaced with personnel that understand retail furniture and not used car sales.

Worked for Hudson's Furniture? Contribute to the Community!