Huge Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

3.1

Huge CEO Aaron Shapiro
Aaron Shapiro

Pros
  • Learn from a group of extremely talented people (in 12 reviews)

• Cool location, free snacks, free beer, week off between Christmas and New Year's (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • the high expectations on all employees from the get go- true that it can be a sink or swim environment, with sometimes very little direct management (in 4 reviews)

• Be willing to work long hours if necessary (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Career launchpad for many, trauma for some.

Former Employee - Technology
    Former Employee - Technology

I worked at Huge full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Huge gained fame by designing clean digital interfaces that challenged entire industries. In the last five years, quality digital design has become more commonplace. In that time, Huge has increased it's strategic and technical abilities to rival the biggest digital agencies. I have recommended the company to many of my friends over the years, and most of them have been incredibly happy with the opportunities given them at Huge. Even the ones who left after only a year are very grateful for the career boost that comes with the Huge name and the quality of projects Huge launches. I have benefitted immeasurably from having Huge on my resume. All-in-all, Huge is a great place to be surrounded by really smart people who really care about the work they do.

Cons

Far too few folks at the top, in sales, and in communications have any idea how the sausage is made. Designers and engineers (good ones anyway) are rare in the executive ranks; MBAs are the rule. They sell new projects with little appreciation for what it takes to actually build them. Leadership can be blasé in firing people, which rises in part from a lack of interest in what people working for them actually do. Practitioners are thought of by leadership as resources to be shuffled around, nothing more. Huge's public persona is built around carefully placed sound bytes and crowd-accessible public speaking engagements that don't represent the design prowess and technical prowess that are actually at the core of the company.

There's no way to hold onto the old vibe of Huge, so don't bother. Instead, just be better than the other big digital agencies by doing better work. Over time, snarky tote bags will lose their meaning, but you can always be a great place to work.

Huge School

Former Employee - Huge Schooler  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Huge Schooler in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Huge as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Amazing learning opportunity, working with awesomely smart, talented, passionate people.

Cons

I get the sense that longer-term staff tends to get a bit jaded and loses the passion a bit.

Make sure that the interaction doesn't stop when School is over. Schoolers get really close, bonding with each other and with other staff in their department. Use that as an opportunity to foster further department camaraderie, if needed.

It's like working in fear.

I worked at Huge as a contractor

Pros

Huge hires really smart people, work with notable clients, and carry a semi-chill culture. It's also a dog friendly environment- so that's always a good thing, right?

Cons

Management may seem like your friends, but if you're service isn't needed anymore, then they won't hesitate to let you go. You never know when you're going to get the boot. But I'm sure it's like that with most big agencies. I'm just speaking from experience...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They have been very good to me

Current Employee - Web Developer  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Huge full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture, overall nice people to work with. Snacks, outings, summer fridays, and little perks like that. Large open office space in Bklyn. Dog friendly.

Cons

A little unorganized. There have been some growing pains as they have expanded faster than they could keep on top of everything. So hence they are now putting more processes in place. Salaries aren't great and gone are the days of 10% increases.

negative, immature, passive aggressive and stale

I worked at Huge full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Some good clients.
    - Industry still thinks the work is great so always on the list for good pitches
    - a load of time off
    - free snacks
    - amazing place to learn about presenting and packaging ideas

Cons

- a cult
    - incredibly immature with young leaders managing by telling you how much you suck at your job
    - constant complaining and whining, chronic disrespect and name calling
    - the rude, negative and abusive people are the only one's who advance under a guise of "passionate"
    - the departments are not cohesive or out for the same mission at all, it's all about individuals
    - leadership is divorced from the work and the people, focuses solely on ipg
    - no accountability, just a blame shifting game
    - surprisingly sexist, the same idea from a woman will be categorized as "emotional and sneaky" but a man "decisive and ambitious" it's gross and totally overlooked
    - design is stale and all looks the same because creativity divergence is not encouraged.
    - slow decision making and a philosophy of "pushing people out" to avoid looking bad by firing.
    - you will be judged by how you look more than how you work.
    - all that matters is the press huge can get for it's "leadership" in the trades

- learn your business, you have almost no idea how your field of industry works
    - teach respect by being respectful, motivation through negativity is not productive
    - take responsibility
    - stop managing with a chip on your shoulder as if you have to prove something
    - keep your CEO from interacting with employee's until he learns how to behave
    - do not reward deceptive liars because they tell you what you want to hear
    - don't treat people based on how they look, bring talent to meetings, not people who will look right in the room.
    - stop thinking being a man over 45 makes you a leader by default

If I had known the trajectory of the company, would have probably taken another offer elsewhere.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Huge full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall, culture is pretty good. There are lots of opportunities to socialize in and out of the office. It's a pretty laid-back atmosphere and people don't work too many hours – you even get summer Fridays and nice quality of life perks like free booze. People are respectful and friendly – probably because only about half of them come from the ad agency world, for now.

Cons

The marketing people are increasing in number and it's only going to get worse. It's quickly losing what made it unique by flooding itself with all of these agency hacks, though it makes sense because the CEO wants to be another crappy digital agency. The new business it's getting is reflective of that – totally uninspiring projects all in an effort to get some kind of retainer fee so they can pad their coffers. Not that it's going to the average employee – I had to take a pay cut to take the same level job that I had before, though I ended up doing junior-level work that was very different than what was promised when I was hired.

All of typical big-agency BS that I was trying to get away from – like over-promising and under-delivering to clients (new ones, in particular) and spending a lot of time on ill-advised projects – is quickly gaining foothold here. There's also generally very poor oversight and lack of feedback, but that doesn't stop senior leaders from coming in at the last minute without any knowledge of what's going on and blowing things up if they feel like it. Lots of favoritism at play, and it's cliquish.

Don't forget what made you special – though it might be too late for that. Trying to be good at everything often makes you not very good at anything. Hiring people who only know about advertising will make you just like everyone else – dead in the water. Get some senior-level people who actually care and have an original thought in their head.

It was a learning experience

I worked at Huge

Pros

Lots of opportunity, friendly but serious environment

Cons

Very large company, can get lost in the mileau

personal growth, leadership

Not what I expected

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Huge

Pros

After having worked here, the only things I can come up with are:

Cool space. Free beer?

Everything else is bs.

Cons

The hiring process was a bit shifty which sort of set the tone for te entries experience there. They pulled me in under the pretense I would be working for one client then they put me on another my first day. Huge was not what I expected. No one works, everyone complains. It's even worse if you've been there awhile.

Take a hard long look at what you're putting importance on.

Not horrible but not good

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Huge full-time

Pros

Free fruit
    Free wine
    Good location for office

Cons

No process
    No structure
    Crazy
    Free for all

Factory Farm

I worked at Huge full-time

Pros

You don't have to shower every day, free beer, important-sounding projects

Cons

Politics, BCC/butt-covering, people working hard to avoid work

Keep it up, something seems to be working.

Worked for Huge? Contribute to the Community!