Hughes Network

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hughes Network Chairman and CEO Pradman P. Kaul

Pradman P. Kaul

Pros
  • Work life balance, community, days between Christmas and New Years off(in 5 reviews)

• The overall work environment and people are great(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Top heavy - many VPs and so emphasis on recruiting entry and low levels in attempt to correct and so now a hole in mid-level expertise(in 6 reviews)

• The potential for greatness is present but is not exploited properly by senior management(in 4 reviews)

Very Good Company for freshers

ProsSenior staff is very supportive. They listen to your opinion, and give you chance to executive them. In all it is a good company to start your career.

ConsPay is not very attractive,medical benefits are less. At lease in the FPGA group, they are short of people, so many a times have to do months of testing for which an intern or technician should be hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more intern for automation and testing. Even Senior staff have waste a lot of time on testing

Depends on your department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsSome neat perks, especially at HQ: onsite nurse and massage therapists, company store where you can buy gear/discounted events, cafeteria, plenty of free parking and right off I270 exit. There are a lot of long tenured employees.

ConsJust average vacation time. Only one option for healthcare: HSA. Bring back options like PPO and HMO. Used to have the week off between Christmas and New Year's, but this went away in 2012 when EchoStar took over benefits. Some managers have been there too long and don't know how to manage. Your particular department will determine your experience. Technical staff seems to be treated much more professionally than admin/non technical. No telecommuting policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementI never saw the CEO. Come out of your hidey hole and mingle with the working folk once in awhile.

Company provides great opportunity to learn the entire system and diversify experience.

Senior Director Technical (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsLot of encouragement to contribute original ideas.

ConsVery slow growth as it is a top heavy company. Lot of people with 15yrs or more experience in Hughes and still at Hughes. You will still be coding even after becoming a middle level manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould provide growth opportunities and expansion of work area.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interview process at Hughes.

Prosstable, get to learn a lot, good co-workers.

ConsNo work from home policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone so far.

Fair till date

MTS-2 Software Engineer (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsLots of experienced people to work with, some super smart and brilliant.

ConsVery slow growth, bad policies since takeover by Echostar

Technically satisfying, average pay & benefits

Member Technical Staff III (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsGood co-workers, challenging projects, opportunities to learn about different fields related to your work, decent HR, onsite perks (yoga, health related programs, cafeteria, nurse), pay tuition fees for further education in Engineering related fields

ConsNot exactly a meritocracy based system, benefits (especially medical/dental) have gone down since EchoStar bought this company, no tuition fees paid for MBA, project planning is poor as little time given for execution, not enough training to further expertise

Advice to Senior Managementhigher pay especially since MD is costly, better medical benefits, bring in more performance linked award system, provide tuition for MBA, provide more time for execution of projects

Very stable, but no career advancement

SMTS3 (Former Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsAt least when I was working there they had generous vacation and health benefits (but I heard that's changed since they were sold to echo star)

ConsThere was no way for junior people to advance. Seniority is the king at Hughes regardless of merit. It's work your way up in the true sense of the phrase. The pay is also way below industry standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're stuck in stone ages. Look around what others are doing to retain their talents.

software engineer intern

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsGreat technology. Great people. It is a great company to start building your resume. They will make you learn about their product and development. They show you the entire approach as a group to develop a new product and will make you feel important. You are given a task just like any other team member.

ConsHR is not the best. Hard to reach and not very helpful. Not very active kind of job, can spend days in your office without contact to anybody besides emails.

Advice to Senior ManagementForce HR to be more reachable and helpful with new interns. I know that most interns want to keep working with you but HR does not follow up or communicate at the end of internship. HR won't respond to emails on time.

Software development practices need a rewrite...

Senior Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsStable work, people are not laid off to cut costs, pretty large company, lots of varying opportunities in many technical areas are available and you can move around to get into differing work for career development, CEO seems to really care about the people and keeping them for long term vs. cutting staff to make the numbers for Wall Street

ConsDevelopment practices are dated, too much focus on fire fighting problems, too top heavy with entrenched management, a lot of management comes from hardware backgrounds and that though pattern is not well suited to software development life cycles. I never see the CEO, ever, except at the quarterly tent review. We seem to loose a lot of younger talent making the company even more top heavy and culturally entrenched in old practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet more junior engineers take much more responsibility and hold them accountable (in a positive way) to spur their career growth and ownership in the company and products they develop. CEO should walk around the place and pop in on people for adhoc encounters,

Discrimination and slow career growth

Network Engineer III (Former Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsPros depends on the Manager you work for. But very few good Managers

ConsProprietary Technology used by Hughes only. You will be good for no other company after few years of job at Hughes. You have to start from scratch where ever you go with Entry level Salary. If you are not getting any other option, then yes you can give Hughes a try.
    No trainings are provided. No one listens to you.
    On-call sucks- day n night. Just peanuts of money for extra work/ time done. Very less bonus. Benefits are very bad, just one medical plan with highest deductible.
    Only US Citizens and PR are given normal ID badges, other Visa holders have same ID but with a dark red line mark which makes you feels like you are a threat and US citizens should be cautious of you while talking.
    Nearby parking is reserved for upper Management. Other employees are supposed to park in the next row. This shows discrimination done between employees. In my new company there is only reserved parking for Expectant mothers. All others are treated equal.
    There is also discrimination on the coffee service. Upper level management is provided with Half-n-Half milk and better cups but other employees are given powder milk :). I know this is not a great point to mention but everyone has its opinion.
    Security guard inside the building opens door for upper management only. Other employees are neglected.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to discriminate among employees. people should be treated equally.

Worked for Hughes Network? Contribute to the Community!