Hughes Network

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hughes Network Chairman and CEO Pradman P. Kaul

Pradman P. Kaul

Pros
  • Work life balance, community, days between Christmas and New Years off(in 5 reviews)

• The overall work environment and people are great(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Top heavy - many VPs and so emphasis on recruiting entry and low levels in attempt to correct and so now a hole in mid-level expertise(in 6 reviews)

• The potential for greatness is present but is not exploited properly by senior management(in 4 reviews)

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Pleasantly satisfied after many years

Senior Principal Hardware Engineer (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsIf you perform you will be recognized. Very engineering centric work pace, very tight schedules during the product development and launch phase and very relaxed during the off cycle. Overall a very good place to work with room for your growth with creative ideas, good perks and reasonable time off policies

ConsCould send employees to periodic system tools training and subject matter conferences. Very top heavy management, I anticipate a change coming in the next 3-5 years with a lot of the senior management retiring.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow your mid level management more effectively and do not promote people for loyalties only.

Decent work if you are in the right group, but below average pay

Member of Technical Staff II (Former Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsGood place to start your career and learn if you are in the right group. Solid engineers and very friendly people throughout the company.

ConsLack of structured training. Below average pay. Lack of career development and very slow advancement.

Downhill since Echostar Acquisition

Principal Engineer 2-Software (Former Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsAccess to free Internet and TV service, and discounts at other related companies.

ConsSince the purchase by Echostar, the benefits have been eroded, salaries have become stagnant and the pressure and expectations have risen exponentially.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop removing benefits and start rewarding the good hardworking employees instead of keeping that for yourself.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked underpaid

Systems Engineer II (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

Pros- interesting technology
    - not the worst work environment

Cons- management heavy
    - benefits went for a toss after Echostar took over
    - low pay
    - 20th century tools and processes

Advice to Senior Managementpay more if you expect top performing employees to stick around

Nice company to work for

MTS-2 Software Engineer (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsReally helpful colleagues and a very understanding manager

ConsIn a comparatively small city, Germantown

Great Engineers, Poor Management

Senior Department Adninitrator (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsForward thinking, great us of technology

ConsPoor management. The company was built and run by engineers. The understand nothing of Sales or Marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees. They know what's going on

Amazing culture and humble management

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsEveryone at this company from directors, senior directors, all the way up to the VP and President are friendly and amicable.

ConsThe cafeteria does not have the best options and the work can at times require a great number of off hours (unpaid) effort.

Depends on your department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsSome neat perks, especially at HQ: onsite nurse and massage therapists, company store where you can buy gear/discounted events, cafeteria, plenty of free parking and right off I270 exit. There are a lot of long tenured employees.

ConsJust average vacation time. Only one option for healthcare: HSA. Bring back options like PPO and HMO. Used to have the week off between Christmas and New Year's, but this went away in 2012 when EchoStar took over benefits. Some managers have been there too long and don't know how to manage. Your particular department will determine your experience. Technical staff seems to be treated much more professionally than admin/non technical. No telecommuting policy.

Advice to Senior ManagementI never saw the CEO. Come out of your hidey hole and mingle with the working folk once in awhile.

Company provides great opportunity to learn the entire system and diversify experience.

Senior Director Technical (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsLot of encouragement to contribute original ideas.

ConsVery slow growth as it is a top heavy company. Lot of people with 15yrs or more experience in Hughes and still at Hughes. You will still be coding even after becoming a middle level manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould provide growth opportunities and expansion of work area.

Fair till date

MTS-2 Software Engineer (Current Employee) Germantown, MD

ProsLots of experienced people to work with, some super smart and brilliant.

ConsVery slow growth, bad policies since takeover by Echostar

Worked for Hughes Network? Contribute to the Community!