Hugo Boss

Add Photos

Claus-Dietrich Lahrs

Sales Associate

I have been working at Hugo Boss

ProsWorking for Hugo Boss you learn to build relationships with clients

ConsAs a sales a associate you only get paid commissions

Absolutely shockingly bad

New York, NY

I have been working at Hugo Boss as an intern for less than a year

ProsYou get the name on your CV

ConsPhysical labour for all the interns in the NY head office - late nights - I came from England getting $100 a week - which I accepted for the experience; paid for my VISA, sorted out accomodation here - to discover a month in (leaving this week) that in fact you are the office skivvy... There is no job for you until the managers want you to lift a box or move some clothes. You are treated with no respect - I have had absolutely no experience in the area I thought I would be in - late nights for the sales people - and you treated like absolute rubbish. Ive had a few days where I have literally spent 9 hours on facebook and blogs. The office has no atmosphere and I have literally been bored to tears. The jobs you are given they expect you to know everything and when you ask you get attitude in return - Its got to the point where you have to answer back to self defend yourself and to remind them you've been there a month... and this is just a quick review I could go on and on. DO NOT DO IT!! Complete waste of money.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take titles so seriously.

Not great

I worked at Hugo Boss part-time

ProsBeautiful office space. Beautiful bathrooms. Nice building.

ConsUnpleasant team, unorganized. Absent upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so absent.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be a great place to work...

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hugo Boss full-time

ProsUpper management is easygoing and does not micro manage. The customers are easier to handle than in other retail environments. The clothing and product itself is of high quality and easy to sell.

ConsNot enough employees are allowed to work per store. Just imagine a four million a year volume store being run with eight employees. Upper management doesn't care if salaried managers have to work six day weeks and 12.5 hour days constantly. The president of the company and five or six other important people now have to sign off on any new hire or promotion. This can take up to a month and a half or longer. So imagine if a store is already understaffed and someone leaves. You can't even start to interview anyone to replace the missing person until all these people say its ok! If you are working full or part time in a lower volume store you will never get a pay raise ever. They consider an extra percentage in commission if you sell $500,000 or more in a year to be a pay raise. This is impossible to achieve in a large amount of the stores. So every year there is a turnover in staff when they finally figure out they will never make more money unless they are promoted to management. There is already enough turnover in retail why make it so hard on your store managers to keep good employees?

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your store managers and regional managers to make hiring decisions. Add loads more staff to your stores. Cutting back on payroll is not where you need to save money. Having enough people to sell to customers might make you more money and improve inventory percentages.

Fun, satisfying, and rewarding job, however not in terms of salary.

I worked at Hugo Boss

ProsNice atmosphere, fun people to work with, top quality clothes, discount, cool style.

ConsPoor management, no raise, no growth within the company, clothes are still expensive even with the discount.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair. Treat employees with respect and manage all employees with equal fairness, equal discipline.

Great place to work, building a strong foundation and prescence

I worked at Hugo Boss full-time

ProsGreat Management, very helpful. Will bend over backwards to help you. Clothing allowance of of 4,000 a year.

ConsSlow store and one must really call a lot to bring clients in

Advice to Senior ManagementLet employees pick out their own clothing

Not a bad place to work

I have been working at Hugo Boss

ProsThe main pro to this job was the outrageously amazing employee discount on everything, especially the women's wear!

ConsSince everything is commission and performance based the atmosphere can get very cut throat and very intense. have to be up for that.

wonderful

Assistant Selling Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hugo Boss full-time for more than 3 years

Prosbenefits are great to have

Conscommunication is sometimes not good

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

Frustrating

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hugo Boss

ProsWorking for Hugo Boss had some great perks about. We were never micro managed or watched under a microscope on anything and we had a fair amount of freedom at work. For example, If you wanted to step out of the store for a few minutes it was almost always possible to do so. Since sales associates operate on a commission only basis (originally 9% but now 8.5%), most managers expect for the associates to produce on their own.

ConsThe work expectancy is not at all equal. Be prepared for double standards and favoritism when it comes to anything to do with tasks that are unrelated to selling. At my store certain individuals were never asked to help with stock, merchandising, or anything other then selling because they were "not capable". This added to frustration and dissatisfaction among those who were required to carry out tasks unrelated to selling. Hugo Boss is also not the most organized company and management definitely keeps secrets from employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not have double standards for employee work expectancy or treatment of employees. Keeping secrets and ambiguity do not better a work environment, rather it adds stress and conflict.

Its a reasonable job just terrible Managment.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Ontario, CA

ProsThe commission is decent
If your full time benefits are ok
You may have a personal life and attend school depending on manager mine was pretty flexible

ConsManager is a two face (manager makes you want to quit)
You only get to be treated fairly if your the managers snitch and cover up for the fraudulent stuff she does.
Your praised for the work you do but THATS ALL. (she smiles and says your doing great and then does what she can to stop you saying, "is *** trying to be the store manager")
Promotions are like royalty ( until someone dies)

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to pay more attention to their store managers because even the questionnaires they do which are support to be confidential are not when you have the store manager responsible or it.

Worked for Hugo Boss? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hugo Boss reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hugo Boss CEO Claus-Dietrich Lahrs. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by Hugo Boss employees.