Hult International Business School

Updated Feb 12, 2014

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A lifestyle not a job

London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hult International Business School full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery fast paced environment where your colleagues become your friends, so work and social life become mixed.

It is a love/hate culture. You will either love it. Or you will hate it. I don't know anyone who is only "OK".

People who love Hult like the hard-work culture, the flexibility, the high aspirations, the diversity of the workplace and the fast pace to decision making.

People who hate Hult do not like the fact that it is expected you work so hard (particularly in recruiting), that the management are quick to fire people, and the amount of travel required.

I suspect most of the people giving very negative comments on this board were fired.

ConsFit in or out culture that demands everything of people and is quick to discard them if the performance is not up to expectations. You need to be ok with the fluidity because it is likely you will have many different bosses through firing, promotion, relocation etc.

Benefits should be reviewed. Whilst salaries are competitive the benefits are behind that of alternate employers.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training to people. Don't be so cut throat be more forgiving.

good

Director of Recruiting (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hult International Business School full-time for more than a year

Pros- Nice sales environment
- Travel a lot

Cons- Long work hours
- Sales pressure

Advice to Senior Managementbe more creative

Multicultural environment and an amazing place to work.

Social Media Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Hult International Business School as an intern for less than a year

ProsBeing an intern at the London corporate office for 9 months, I was given the opportunity to contribute to big projects. The people there were always friendly, helpful and great listeners. In addition, Hult has many offices worldwide that makes it possible to relocate.

ConsMy overal experience from the Hult International Business School is positive and therefore there are no cons that I have to remark.

Steep learning curve at the beginning then no further opportunities to grow

Director of Recruiting (Former Employee)

I worked at Hult International Business School full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- (mostly) international, young team
- lots of travelling (including some nice incentive trips)
- innovative solutions in running a business school
- beautiful offices in great locations

Cons- no HR department
- protectionism (hiring friends and relatives who are unqualified to do the job, and then not sacking them)
- no training, no induction
- incompetent managers, even in top management
- open racism and sexism from some of the colleagues and managers but there is no one to report these issues to
- no honest feedback from supervisors and no willingness to grow their people
- people played against each other by managers
- huge variations between salaries of people officially working on the same level
- extreme pressure to perform and no job security

Advice to Senior ManagementCutting down on protectionism will solve most of the other problems. Also, there needs to be an HR department, helping employees to plan their careers and improve their skills.

Shocking Corporate Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hult International Business School full-time for more than a year

ProsNice offices
Staff trips
Co-workers are nice
Not micromanaged (or managed at all)
Good social side if you want it

ConsContracts are unclear and subject to change
Hire and fire culture
Senior Managers job is to constantly squeeze as much as possible from their workers
No HR Department
Management have no morals
No consideration for work/life balance (7 days a week, 24 hours a day)
Constant pressure on staff who are treated like children
No pension or other benefits
No training given at any point
Free for all in office - fact that computer/mouses/staplers etc are routinely taken from colleagues desk gives indication of culture
Individuals set targets - no teamwork encouraged
Although HULT says they are entrepreneurial the minute someone tries to do that they are stopped.

Advice to Senior Management- Try to change corporate culture, very few really like working there and setting colleagues against each other with targets etc doesn't help
- Introduce exit interviews so management can understand what is wrong. Ideally introduce an HR department to conduct this and to understand why the corporate culture is so appalling
- Make contracts clearer and stick to them e.g. don't change targets throughout the year
- Give staff support and training, e.g. induction. Also when staff are finding things difficult rather than immedietely threatening that they will lose their job support and training could be offered
- More appraisals
- Base senior management in same country as workers - currently senior management have very little idea of what is going on when they are located in a different country
- If possible try for a seperation from EF as it's clear that EF doesn't care about their employees
- Introduce some strategies which are developed with consultation with workers at lower levels and make them available to all employees so they can see where they fit in
- Bring in some corporate values and live by them
- Hult's MBA teaches about how to build good organisations and how to manage change perhaps the knowledge is already there for HULT/EF to learn from.

Good school with great opportunities to get culturally aware

Student (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hult International Business School full-time for less than a year

ProsInternational, very good locations, amazing people and students

ConsStill new, not big recognition, needs to improve management team

Advice to Senior Management-

Most entrepreneurial school in world

I have been working at Hult International Business School

ProsInspiring to work for a company that is trying to be the best it can be. Constantly changing and trying to do better. And willing to take risks in that process. Great to have similar minded colleagues all over the world. Very close knit, despite the geographic distances. And plenty of opportunity to travel.

ConsVery, very hard work. All senior managers are workaholics. And there is unlimited number of things to get on with, which at times can be very stressful. There is often not time to even pause to think since things are constantly changing and you are always challenged. Sometime dauntingly so.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease slow down a bit. It can still be exciting even if not going as fast as humanly possible!

Worked for Hult International Business School? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hult International Business School reviews and ratings in London, UK. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Hult International Business School employees.