Hult International Business School

Updated February 17, 2015
Updated February 17, 2015
2.3

CEO

Pros
  • Opportunities to travel and work with younger people who are interested in doing so too (in 4 reviews)

• Opportunity to meet and work with people around the world (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Easy to get sucked into a bad work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• No-one here will micro-manage you, its down to you to be as productive as you can (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

12 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

A generally terrible place to work - globally.

Former Employee - Associate Director of Recruiting in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate Director of Recruiting in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hult International Business School full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with and interact with different departments and campuses. If you find the right team than it is a good place to work but only if you accept that your work will be rarely appreciated. The only great work that Hult was able to do was get Hult Prize working - even after first both resisting or supporting it in it's early stages. Please don't ruin it.

Cons

More focus on Sales and Marketing than on anything else. It can be justified as Hult is in a competitive place
    Hypocrisy - teaching students about valuable skills to have in the future work place but failing to practice and build a culture around the same internally. Level of nepotism is astonishing but not surprising as Hult is owned and operated as part of a larger family business. Zero room for personal development or growth - long job titles have very little meaning with the person having pretty much the same job or being a glorified junior member of their own team. Moving targets and lack of accountability especially with senior management create a toxic culture of mistrust and lack of direction.

Some degree of accountability and not cloaking the issues would go a long way. The merger, or take over with Ashridge is one way to have a back door into the rankings. Please take time to read the EF Staff Handbook - as much as you despise the parent company and being part of it they are responsible for your existence and continue to support you.

People Come, People Go.

Former Employee - Director of Recruiting in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hult International Business School full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learned I would not want to work here again in my short time here in London.

Cons

-Weak upper management
    -employee burn out culture
    -no training given
    -long work hours
    -low pay salaries
    -high sales targets
    -no employee investment for growth
    -unorganized structure
    -constant changes in staff and management
    -unprofessional employees and management
    -no opportunity to grow
    -no one cares about making the company better, only worries about more sales and growing the school

Invest in your employes and take a look at why top latent decides to leave each year. Just because you continue to grow as as school each year doesn't mean you can exploit staff and replaces them with newer peoples who will work for less. Looks as if Hult dont even care about being a good place to work.

Overworked and Underpaid

Current Employee - Student Recruiting Officer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Student Recruiting Officer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hult International Business School part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Mangers give free alcohol, candy, and cake to make telesales feel better about ourselves and what we have to do.

Cons

As a student recruiting officer, they give us the fake title because we are really the telasales and calling machines of Hult International business school. They gives us many lists of students names who the school buys from tofell, gmat, test centers and other places to call and book interviews to make them pay money for the application fee. They hire many foreign French, Italian, Spanish peoples and pay us minimum wage to call all day until 7:30 pm. Lots of calling ,too much. Staff leaves all the time and always changing new faces.

Pay your hard working peoples more money. Stuck in same position. Bosses all are very unprofessional and drink lots of alcohol and don't act responsible or as real leaders.

Exciting, innovative and fast-paced

Current Employee - Associate Director of Recruiting in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Director of Recruiting in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hult International Business School full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working at Hult because it is always challenging me and keeping me on my toes. Things are always changing, always new and I am never bored. The job has a lot of elements to it, so you are never doing the same thing for a huge amount of time, and your day is so full it flies by! For some people this might not be ideal, but I have a lot of energy and it keeps me super busy, which is great.

The office culture is amazing. It is super young, energetic and positive. There is always some kind of incentive and we have lots of perks. There is a really big focus on work hard, play hard. Sometimes we have to work long hours and weekends, but management recognize us and treat us to make up for it. There is quite a part culture, so if you want a glass of wine after a long day, there won't be a lack of company! The people I work with are super nice and friendly and I can definitely say that I have made some really good friends here.

The management really look out for you and I do feel very comfortable with them. I can talk to them about anything, and they do aim in getting the best from you, so there is a lot of room to improve yourself, succeed and move up in the company. I do think there are many opportunities within Hult, and if you work hard you will be given those opportunities.

The travelling aspect of the job, of course, is a great pro. As a people person I prefer to meet people face to face so the travelling really allows me to meet my candidates and feel more connected to my job.

There is not a lot of micro managing which is great, I like that I am trusted to do my job and no one is looking over my shoulder every 5 minutes.

Cons

The hours can be long and you will have to work weekends so sometimes you do get the feeling that the job takes over. It's really necessary to make sure you keep a good work/life balance, otherwise you will basically be surrounded by work 24/7. A key thing is to avoid the emails and work system outside of work!

When I started there was very little training if any at all, and although since then there has been a huge improvement, it's something that could still be worked on. New staff need to be taught and should have their expectations managed. Hult is very different to any other company and it can be a real shock for those coming in from outside to be thrown head first into the role and the culture.

Although change is good overall, sometimes there can be a lot of it. Although for me personally this is not that big of an issue, for the team it can sometimes set things back when a key member leaves or moves on. A good "bounce back" attitude is needed.

More training for new staff and setting expectations of the role.

Know what you are getting yourself into before applying

Current Employee - Director of Recruiting in London, England (UK)

Pros

Travel perks are nice. Get to travel on the companies dime to some pretty nice destinations. Got to travel within my first month of working here and traveled several times thereafter.

Cons

Hult is forever RUINING what the world of higher education means today. This is not a business school, but instead a for-profit sales and recruitment machine with pushy sales agents who work for low pay in long, demanding, and hostile hours. A well known practice for hiring and firing young talent who do not preform in reaching sales targets devised by weak management. Overall a very glossy product to the human eye, with rubbish and unethical practices which brand themselves as a place being the most international school in the world. They are very good and keen to invest in their sales and marketing budgets to make their brand most appealing, but do not realize people take notice of these efforts and it further weakens their degrees.

-The most AGGRESSIVE recruitment and SALES operations in the university sector (If you work for Hult, be prepared to sell. They are known for their hostile sales operations worldwide today.
    -Misleading advertised job postings which do not properly describe day to day job details (cold calling all day to sell students MBA, Masters, Bachelors degrees, and having to reach unrealistic sales targets.
    -Selling higher degrees with unethical means for admission and corrupt procedures
    -Overworked employees expected to do SO much in one working day, for way TOO little pay.
    -LONG sales hours to essentially SELL SELL SELL, and SELL more to students who cant afford programs and or would not be interested.
    -Admitting students who are not qualified or can barely speak English into all programs.
    -Being required to PUSH students to apply and submit application fees and tuition deposit (No other university in the world does this but Hult. It is the their method for growth.
    -Largest cash cow in the business. Not a real school, but simply a money making machine
    -Very secretive internal operations

-The travel benefits are cool, however every week people are hired and fired, and people leave on their own after getting burnt out. They do a great job NOT having a human resources division, and hire the best young top international talent they can, use, abuse and get as much out of them as possible, see how long they can last if they don't already fire them, and then move onto the next best thing. No investment or training for any employee, and honestly HULT does not give much attention to any of their employees.

Not a real business school, with the most bizarre, hostile, and BI-polar practices in the book.

Know what your getting yourself into before applying and accepting a job here.

A lifestyle not a job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hult International Business School full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very fast paced environment where your colleagues become your friends, so work and social life become mixed.

It is a love/hate culture. You will either love it. Or you will hate it. I don't know anyone who is only "OK".

People who love Hult like the hard-work culture, the flexibility, the high aspirations, the diversity of the workplace and the fast pace to decision making.

People who hate Hult do not like the fact that it is expected you work so hard (particularly in recruiting), that the management are quick to fire people, and the amount of travel required.

I suspect most of the people giving very negative comments on this board were fired.

Cons

Fit in or out culture that demands everything of people and is quick to discard them if the performance is not up to expectations. You need to be ok with the fluidity because it is likely you will have many different bosses through firing, promotion, relocation etc.

Benefits should be reviewed. Whilst salaries are competitive the benefits are behind that of alternate employers.

Provide more training to people. Don't be so cut throat be more forgiving.

good

Current Employee - Director of Recruiting in London, England (UK)

Pros

- Nice sales environment
    - Travel a lot

Cons

- Long work hours
    - Sales pressure

be more creative

Multicultural environment and an amazing place to work.

Former Intern - Social Media Marketing Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Social Media Marketing Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hult International Business School as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Being an intern at the London corporate office for 9 months, I was given the opportunity to contribute to big projects. The people there were always friendly, helpful and great listeners. In addition, Hult has many offices worldwide that makes it possible to relocate.

Cons

My overal experience from the Hult International Business School is positive and therefore there are no cons that I have to remark.

Steep learning curve at the beginning then no further opportunities to grow

Former Employee - Director of Recruiting in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hult International Business School full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- (mostly) international, young team
    - lots of travelling (including some nice incentive trips)
    - innovative solutions in running a business school
    - beautiful offices in great locations

Cons

- no HR department
    - protectionism (hiring friends and relatives who are unqualified to do the job, and then not sacking them)
    - no training, no induction
    - incompetent managers, even in top management
    - open racism and sexism from some of the colleagues and managers but there is no one to report these issues to
    - no honest feedback from supervisors and no willingness to grow their people
    - people played against each other by managers
    - huge variations between salaries of people officially working on the same level
    - extreme pressure to perform and no job security

Cutting down on protectionism will solve most of the other problems. Also, there needs to be an HR department, helping employees to plan their careers and improve their skills.

Shocking Corporate Culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hult International Business School full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice offices
    Staff trips
    Co-workers are nice
    Not micromanaged (or managed at all)
    Good social side if you want it

Cons

Contracts are unclear and subject to change
    Hire and fire culture
    Senior Managers job is to constantly squeeze as much as possible from their workers
    No HR Department
    Management have no morals
    No consideration for work/life balance (7 days a week, 24 hours a day)
    Constant pressure on staff who are treated like children
    No pension or other benefits
    No training given at any point
    Free for all in office - fact that computer/mouses/staplers etc are routinely taken from colleagues desk gives indication of culture
    Individuals set targets - no teamwork encouraged
    Although HULT says they are entrepreneurial the minute someone tries to do that they are stopped.

- Try to change corporate culture, very few really like working there and setting colleagues against each other with targets etc doesn't help
    - Introduce exit interviews so management can understand what is wrong. Ideally introduce an HR department to conduct this and to understand why the corporate culture is so appalling
    - Make contracts clearer and stick to them e.g. don't change targets throughout the year
    - Give staff support and training, e.g. induction. Also when staff are finding things difficult rather than immedietely threatening that they will lose their job support and training could be offered
    - More appraisals
    - Base senior management in same country as workers - currently senior management have very little idea of what is going on when they are located in a different country
    - If possible try for a seperation from EF as it's clear that EF doesn't care about their employees
    - Introduce some strategies which are developed with consultation with workers at lower levels and make them available to all employees so they can see where they fit in
    - Bring in some corporate values and live by them
    - Hult's MBA teaches about how to build good organisations and how to manage change perhaps the knowledge is already there for HULT/EF to learn from.

Hult International Business School Photos