Hult International Business School

2.7
CEO

1. Vibrant, international, career-oriented

I worked at Hult International Business School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-growing company, multinational, with a strong emphasis on developing both business and employees. You need to work hard though, like in any serious corporate and hit your targets! The greatest feature of this company is the environment, which is fun, friendly and very supportive.

Cons

Like in any sales jobs, sometime is difficult to find a good work-life balance. But line managers are great people and really understand their employees’ needs. Sometimes you are required to work over weekends, but it often means travelling and participate to international events.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job in maintaining a great atmosphere and employees motivated. Perhaps, there should more consideration towards salary advancements, however, this is very much compensated by the amount of perks that each employee benefits from the company. You should make people more aware of them.

2. Seems like a start-up...

I worked at Hult International Business School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working for Hult is the good young atmosphere that you have. Most people are really friendly, although 26 years old on average...

Cons

Low salary, lack of professionalism, worked very long hours and weekends, quite stressful due to really high targets, extremely high turnover

Advice to Management

Pay better to people who deserve it and have a plan to grow your HIPOs

A generally terrible place to work - globally.

I worked at Hult International Business School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with and interact with different departments and campuses. If you find the right team than it is a good place to work but only if you accept that your work will be rarely appreciated. The only great work that Hult was able to do was get Hult Prize working - even after first both resisting or supporting it in it's early stages. Please don't ruin it.

Cons

More focus on Sales and Marketing than on anything else. It can be justified as Hult is in a competitive place
    Hypocrisy - teaching students about valuable skills to have in the future work place but failing to practice and build a culture around the same internally. Level of nepotism is astonishing but not surprising as Hult is owned and operated as part of a larger family business. Zero room for personal development or growth - long job titles have very little meaning with the person having pretty much the same job or being a glorified junior member of their own team. Moving targets and lack of accountability especially with senior management create a toxic culture of mistrust and lack of direction.

Advice to Management

Some degree of accountability and not cloaking the issues would go a long way. The merger, or take over with Ashridge is one way to have a back door into the rankings. Please take time to read the EF Staff Handbook - as much as you despise the parent company and being part of it they are responsible for your existence and continue to support you.

It is what YOU make it.

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Hult International Business School full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having previously worked at much smaller companies, the culture and pace change was certainly a shock. Almost 3 years into my Hult career I can safely say it was a shock for the better. Hult has challenged me both professionally and socially, and as a result I can say with confidence that I tackle projects with a newfound "can-do, do it now" entrepreneurial attitude.
    I get to travel the perfect amount for my liking, and have had the opportunity to see some amazing places around the world. The London office is a beautiful place to work, with some amazing perks that are really appreciated by staff who are passionate about Hult and work hard.
    For me the friends, colleagues and new connections I have made through our staff, student, alumni and partner base is unparalleled and a huge benefit.

Cons

The Hult passion is infectious, and I find myself striving to succeed and working long hours, albeit voluntarily. It's important to find yourself a balance between work and play. It's a struggle and a learning curve reiterated by many young international career driven individuals today.

Hult has taught me 2 things, you work hard and great things can happen. And to manage your own time. No-one here will micro-manage you, its down to you to be as productive as you can.

Yes we are international, yes we work hard, yes we play hard, yes we are passionate. But all of this is what you make it.

People Come, People Go.

Former Employee - Director of Recruiting in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Director of Recruiting in London, England (UK)

I worked at Hult International Business School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned I would not want to work here again in my short time here in London.

Cons

-Weak upper management
    -employee burn out culture
    -no training given
    -long work hours
    -low pay salaries
    -high sales targets
    -no employee investment for growth
    -unorganized structure
    -constant changes in staff and management
    -unprofessional employees and management
    -no opportunity to grow
    -no one cares about making the company better, only worries about more sales and growing the school

Advice to Management

Invest in your employes and take a look at why top latent decides to leave each year. Just because you continue to grow as as school each year doesn't mean you can exploit staff and replaces them with newer peoples who will work for less. Looks as if Hult dont even care about being a good place to work.

Overworked and Underpaid

Current Employee - Student Recruiting Officer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Student Recruiting Officer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hult International Business School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mangers give free alcohol, candy, and cake to make telesales feel better about ourselves and what we have to do.

Cons

As a student recruiting officer, they give us the fake title because we are really the telasales and calling machines of Hult International business school. They gives us many lists of students names who the school buys from tofell, gmat, test centers and other places to call and book interviews to make them pay money for the application fee. They hire many foreign French, Italian, Spanish peoples and pay us minimum wage to call all day until 7:30 pm. Lots of calling ,too much. Staff leaves all the time and always changing new faces.

Advice to Management

Pay your hard working peoples more money. Stuck in same position. Bosses all are very unprofessional and drink lots of alcohol and don't act responsible or as real leaders.

Exciting, innovative and fast-paced

Current Employee - Associate Director of Recruiting in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Director of Recruiting in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hult International Business School full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at Hult because it is always challenging me and keeping me on my toes. Things are always changing, always new and I am never bored. The job has a lot of elements to it, so you are never doing the same thing for a huge amount of time, and your day is so full it flies by! For some people this might not be ideal, but I have a lot of energy and it keeps me super busy, which is great.

The office culture is amazing. It is super young, energetic and positive. There is always some kind of incentive and we have lots of perks. There is a really big focus on work hard, play hard. Sometimes we have to work long hours and weekends, but management recognize us and treat us to make up for it. There is quite a part culture, so if you want a glass of wine after a long day, there won't be a lack of company! The people I work with are super nice and friendly and I can definitely say that I have made some really good friends here.

The management really look out for you and I do feel very comfortable with them. I can talk to them about anything, and they do aim in getting the best from you, so there is a lot of room to improve yourself, succeed and move up in the company. I do think there are many opportunities within Hult, and if you work hard you will be given those opportunities.

The travelling aspect of the job, of course, is a great pro. As a people person I prefer to meet people face to face so the travelling really allows me to meet my candidates and feel more connected to my job.

There is not a lot of micro managing which is great, I like that I am trusted to do my job and no one is looking over my shoulder every 5 minutes.

Cons

The hours can be long and you will have to work weekends so sometimes you do get the feeling that the job takes over. It's really necessary to make sure you keep a good work/life balance, otherwise you will basically be surrounded by work 24/7. A key thing is to avoid the emails and work system outside of work!

When I started there was very little training if any at all, and although since then there has been a huge improvement, it's something that could still be worked on. New staff need to be taught and should have their expectations managed. Hult is very different to any other company and it can be a real shock for those coming in from outside to be thrown head first into the role and the culture.

Although change is good overall, sometimes there can be a lot of it. Although for me personally this is not that big of an issue, for the team it can sometimes set things back when a key member leaves or moves on. A good "bounce back" attitude is needed.

Advice to Management

More training for new staff and setting expectations of the role.

Know what you are getting yourself into before applying

Current Employee - Director of Recruiting in London, England (UK)

Pros

Travel perks are nice. Get to travel on the companies dime to some pretty nice destinations. Got to travel within my first month of working here and traveled several times thereafter.

Cons

Hult is forever RUINING what the world of higher education means today. This is not a business school, but instead a for-profit sales and recruitment machine with pushy sales agents who work for low pay in long, demanding, and hostile hours. A well known practice for hiring and firing young talent who do not preform in reaching sales targets devised by weak management. Overall a very glossy product to the human eye, with rubbish and unethical practices which brand themselves as a place being the most international school in the world. They are very good and keen to invest in their sales and marketing budgets to make their brand most appealing, but do not realize people take notice of these efforts and it further weakens their degrees.

-The most AGGRESSIVE recruitment and SALES operations in the university sector (If you work for Hult, be prepared to sell. They are known for their hostile sales operations worldwide today.
    -Misleading advertised job postings which do not properly describe day to day job details (cold calling all day to sell students MBA, Masters, Bachelors degrees, and having to reach unrealistic sales targets.
    -Selling higher degrees with unethical means for admission and corrupt procedures
    -Overworked employees expected to do SO much in one working day, for way TOO little pay.
    -LONG sales hours to essentially SELL SELL SELL, and SELL more to students who cant afford programs and or would not be interested.
    -Admitting students who are not qualified or can barely speak English into all programs.
    -Being required to PUSH students to apply and submit application fees and tuition deposit (No other university in the world does this but Hult. It is the their method for growth.
    -Largest cash cow in the business. Not a real school, but simply a money making machine
    -Very secretive internal operations

-The travel benefits are cool, however every week people are hired and fired, and people leave on their own after getting burnt out. They do a great job NOT having a human resources division, and hire the best young top international talent they can, use, abuse and get as much out of them as possible, see how long they can last if they don't already fire them, and then move onto the next best thing. No investment or training for any employee, and honestly HULT does not give much attention to any of their employees.

Not a real business school, with the most bizarre, hostile, and BI-polar practices in the book.

Know what your getting yourself into before applying and accepting a job here.

10. A lifestyle not a job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Very fast paced environment where your colleagues become your friends, so work and social life become mixed.

It is a love/hate culture. You will either love it. Or you will hate it. I don't know anyone who is only "OK".

People who love Hult like the hard-work culture, the flexibility, the high aspirations, the diversity of the workplace and the fast pace to decision making.

People who hate Hult do not like the fact that it is expected you work so hard (particularly in recruiting), that the management are quick to fire people, and the amount of travel required.

I suspect most of the people giving very negative comments on this board were fired.

Cons

Fit in or out culture that demands everything of people and is quick to discard them if the performance is not up to expectations. You need to be ok with the fluidity because it is likely you will have many different bosses through firing, promotion, relocation etc.

Benefits should be reviewed. Whilst salaries are competitive the benefits are behind that of alternate employers.

Advice to Management

Provide more training to people. Don't be so cut throat be more forgiving.

11. good

Current Employee - Director of Recruiting in London, England (UK)

Pros

- Nice sales environment
    - Travel a lot

Cons

- Long work hours
    - Sales pressure

Advice to Management

be more creative

Hult International Business School Photos