Hulu Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Mike Hopkins

Pros
  • Great benefits, amazing culture, emphasis on being a team player (in 4 reviews)

• Great benefits, great people, great management, fun atmosphere, and good pay (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Like with a lot of tech companies, maintaining work/life balance can be a challenge (in 3 reviews)

• Going through major growing pains, but until they have the right leadership in, will continue to get it wrong (in 3 reviews)

Hulu is a model company

Current Employee - Customer Support Advocate in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Advocate in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great PTO Flexible Hours Fun Environment Great Insurance Virtual Positions Available Involved Management Caring HR Department. Gifts and Rewards for Great Work Overall I've never been more impressed with a company. I'd like to think that they'll be a model for other companies.

Cons

Possibly growing faster then they can keep up with sometimes. It's noticeable that they're not always certain of some of their own policies considering the rapid growth.

Advice to Management

Just to be careful not to stick with a policy just because its company policy. The faster we grow, the more complications will arise and we will need to be flexible.

2. Customer Care Advocate

Current Employee - Customer Support Advocate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Advocate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Training, Virtual Position, great company, friendly staff

Cons

Since it is virtual there are very strict time limits in your day and scheduling is need basis

Advice to Management

Just more flex on time schedules

3. Gold paint starts to chip...

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome, brilliant, young people that always have energy. Nice kitchen, snacks.

Cons

Work-life balance is always talked about but action is NEVER taken. Turnover is ridiculously high and salaries do not match work performance. They think a couple kegs in the kitchen will blind us to our real perception of our departments.

Advice to Management

Start hearing your employees out. Listen to the warning signs. Employees are leaving for a reason, and it's not because they don't like the company. Management needs to be held more accountable. We should have a review with HR each year to speak about our manager. Stop burning out top talent.

5. Senior Manager

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best place I've ever worked -- exciting work, brilliant people, career growth, and a fun and rewarding atmosphere. I'll be there for a long time.

Cons

Nothing really-- it's not so much of a startup anymore, but our growth has dictated that change. The cons are very minimal.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! The leadership team is excellent and really cares about employees.

Incompetency is rewarded

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Hulu full-time

Pros

Random perks related to entertainment, snacks, cool/fun coworkers that make things bearable, good company brand for resume, culture of forcing you to work a lot means depending on how you approach it you can learn a lot.

Cons

Most of the people are new/very young in their tenure at Hulu (high turnover, most of the older employees have all left). Low pay with weak justification, imbalance of workloads/ long hours for some (typically the hard workers). competency is rewarded with more work because you're trusted to do a good job, but you are not rewarded/compensated accordingly. Depending on favoritism some people coast by easily to collect paychecks, laziness is therefore in-explicitly encouraged. Plenty of managers who are clearly bad at management/lazy - false promises with a side of playing favorites... don't solve problems... encourage transparency but then turn it on you to say you're negative in x,y,z..., management implements changes without fully fleshing ideas out/concepts. everything is TBD and star employees are asked to "wait" / blindly follow. Lack of measures taken to prevent such high turnover rates or to help fix what can be negative/unhealthy environments... not the culture people sell you when you interview, that's more of a thing of the past. In terms of development there's very little... promises for room to grow/areas to development are empty and dragged on for months, years. Projects promised are not followed up on / do not come to fruition. HR/etc will advocate that you can switch departments but it's near impossible for a few departments (to switch out of).

Advice to Management

If you're hiring smart people, treat them like smart people and get it together. There's clearly effort in making things better but even those efforts are too little too late/too slow. Losing this many great, key people is a clear indication of a decline. You can keep hiring but if you don't solve it from within people will just keep leaving.

Hulu in 2015

I worked at Hulu full-time

Pros

- Great people who are smart and very driven - Exciting projects - Bagel and Donut Fridays - Unlimited vacation

Cons

- Long hours - No work/life balance - Open floor plan - No stock options available

Advice to Management

- Keep the organization flat and keep the hierarchy down - Reward those that are loyal to the company

8. Customer Support

I worked at Hulu full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Hulu service is amazing. Health care benefits are great.

Cons

Lack of communication and accountability for management. Feedback is given but it never goes anywhere. The same mistakes and issues occur time and time again with no accountability for management.

Advice to Management

Learn how to communicate effectively. Lead by example. Learn how to communicate the "why" to encourage buy in from subordinates. Stop making promises and start executing. Your actions are driving great talent away, its time you realize that.

Product Leadership Needed

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work at hulu are smart, talented, generous and kind. I come to work everyday because I love almost everyone I work with. Unlimited vacation. It's also a great brand to have on your resume. The office location is a nice, park-like environment.

Cons

The company offers classes (in public speaking and excel) and just started a $5k tuition assistance program. Those are OK, but when it comes to expanding your skillset or pursuing new opportunities on the job, it is difficult to the point of impossible. The company is badly in need of a re-org -- not to lay people off (the idea of an employee being dead weight really doesn't apply -- people are smart and want to work hard) but more the idea that some functions can be combined (and give opportunities for people to grow), some are no longer relevant and there are some new orgs that need to be created. The tech and project management team is very siloed and some stacks are really in need of great, engaged senior leadership. The existing management team doesn't seem to be very engaged. - There is a lot of hubris about the quality of hulu's product-- constant changes in direction, outlandish expectations from the business and years of neglect have left us with a very inflexible and fragile tech stack that's already beginning to crumble. We should just own that it's time to rebuild. - Conversations around new growth/career opportunities are usually met with blank stares.

Advice to Management

Do comprehensive 360 reviews of every manager (from every single member of their team). Hold them accountable to that feedback Understand that we all don't simply want promotions -- we want to challenge ourselves to do more and do better. But we need your help and support to do that. Find inspiring, people-oriented, entrepreneurial senior leaders. We need new energy, not more pictures of that dude's dog, that isn't a replacement for real culture and involvement.

cool perks but thats about it

Current Employee - Tech Support in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Tech Support in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

unlimited supply of snacks?? decent benefits?

Cons

1) turnover rate is HIGH!!! There are constantly new people coming in....because there are a lot of people leaving!! Hmm I wonder why?? Pretty terrible for a company that tries to shove how great the culture is down your throat! 2) The pay is not competitive at ALL! 3) The developers need to step it up! There are so many popular devices that don't work with hulu and all hulu can say is "our developers are still looking into this...here's a free month" you can only give out so many credit till people start getting pissed and guess who has to deal with those angry customers?? definitely not the developers or management...thats for sure! 4. The new hefty manager who came from amazon is a JOKE! 5) working on the holiday's is not chill!!!! customer care/tech support has to come into work while everyone else is sitting pretty at home, enjoying the holidays!

Advice to Management

Fix the issue with the Vizio TV application and six the issue with the Samsung application, it's hard to believe it's been almost 2 years and this issue is yet to be resolved???

Used to be a fun place to work

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative

I have been working at Hulu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Looks good on a resume -Very good insurance -Work from home

Cons

Where do I start? I was sold a bill of goods about culture, opportunity and flexibility - none of which exist here anymore. When I first started, the customer care department was filled with happy, intelligent creative people who had been with the company for at least a year, usually more. Mostly actors and other creative types. It was a flexible work environment - the managers were supportive and helped to make sure you had a good work life balance. (i.e. they understood that making less than 35K in LA required you to have another job and they let you pursue that.) The management listened to the employees and made efforts to include them in company and department growth. The management changed. Over the course of the last 4 months, close to 75% of the entire staff quit. No more work life balance. No flexibility. They've installed no tolerance policies on all fronts. Most employees are now working in constant fear of losing their jobs. They have made no effort to discover why, or possibly change the reason for employee dissatisfaction. The turn over is astounding - they are hiring close to 25 people a month, which barely covers the people who are quitting. The word morale doesn't exist. You would be hard pressed to find one employee in the department who is happy or satisfied with their situation beyond "I'm happy to have a job." No opportunity for advancement and no job diversity. You'll answer calls and emails for eight hours a day. Make no mistake, this is now a crappy call center job. The only perk is that you get to do it at home with your dogs instead of sharing a cubicle with a miserable actor waiting for their big break.

Advice to Management

Numerous current and former employees have attempted to reason with management and HR. Listen to their advice. Listen to the complaints and make reasonable accommodations. This isn't a high paying job - that's usually the give and take that will keep the higher skilled people around. Anyone who has been in the department for more than 3 months is looking for their next job. It wasn't like that less than two years ago.

RSS Feed </> Embed