Hulu

Updated March 1, 2015
Updated March 1, 2015
3.6

Mike Hopkins

Pros
  • Great benefits, great people, great management, fun atmosphere, and good pay (in 4 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere, great coworkers, young company, fun team outings and adventures (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Like with a lot of tech companies, maintaining work/life balance can be a challenge (in 3 reviews)

• Going through major growing pains, but until they have the right leadership in, will continue to get it wrong (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I love Hulu!

I have been working at Hulu full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Hulu has been the most rewarding experience of my career. I feel like my contributions matter, so I want to make the most of every day. I like that Hulu invests in its employees, because it has allowed me to develop my career. Furthermore, employee feedback is valued here, as Hulu is always striving to be the best place for employees to work. I also love that Hulu promotes a fun culture and is not hierarchical. This is a great company to work for, and I am proud to be a part of it.

Cons

I can't think of anything at the moment.

Keep the culture alive. The fun culture is what keeps employees happy and attracts top talent. Also, continue to value hardworking employees.

Great Company To Work For

I have been working at Hulu

Pros

I really enjoyed my 3+ years at Hulu. It was an excellent company to work for, which really treated it's employees well. The company focuses on innovation and customer satisfaction. The company has high integrity and was a very fun, high energy place of work.

Cons

After the departure of senior leadership, back-filling of positions made it a little chaotic at times. The normal growing pains of a start-up, but the good certainly outweighs the bad here.

Value your employees, especially the dedicated ones who have been there for many years

Review

Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in West Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in West Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Creative co-workers and a challenging environment. There is work to be done if you seek it out.

Cons

Growing pains as the CS department grows and changes. It has been a turbulent year that resulted in a great deal of attrition.

A decent short-term job, but little room for growth.

I have been working at Hulu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Your coworkers are some of the best people you'll meet, and they make coming to work bearable. It's also nice to have food provided at all times. Culture has taken a hit recently, but was once top-notch.

Cons

There is no easy way to advance in the department apart from a few positions that open up occasionally. Most employees end up staying in the job just until they can find something better outside the company. The job gets tedious after 6 months and there are few opportunities to work on projects outside of the normal day-to-day tasks. There has been high turnover in management recently.

Invest in the employees you don't want to lose. There are many that have a lot to offer but aren't given the chance to contribute.

Confused

I worked at Hulu full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun culture. Smart people.

Cons

Board level direction changes frequently.

A+ culture and flat org

I have been working at Hulu full-time

Pros

Culture - smart, social people
    Management - much better than old team; ready to take the company to the next level. Previously just followed the word of Jason Kilar with zero collaboration
    Career switching - Great opportunity to switch teams. Lots of people have done this to try new jobs.

Cons

Salary - failure to pay and recognize top performers has caused many talented people to leave
    Promotion - HR consistently fails to explain how to get promotion. Each team wildly different.

Pay your top performers and recruit and retain developers.

nice experience, I have to admit

I worked at Hulu

Pros

right size, good team work spirit, imaginable future

Cons

awkward status quo, facing YouTube, Netflix, got the potential to stand out, but at the cost of investors, like camcast

more forward looking

Was once a great company to work for...

Former Employee - Customer Support Advocate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Advocate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hulu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome Benefits, Great Events and Parties, Selective Hiring, Great People, Even Great Managers.

Cons

Hulu is currently going through a lot change with a lot of growing pains and a lot of great were people lost because of it. Midway through my career there were no spots on the floor (where about 120 sat), when I left it was like a ghost town (20, maybe 25 seats were filled at best).

The employees do their best to keep their spirits up, managers are constantly giving bad news and are expected to keep morale high, the change in culture has resulted in high turnover and low morale. It no longer matters who your are as a person but how good your numbers are. Numbers determine if you can spend holidays with your family, if you'll have a decent day off. A Holiday falls on your day off? Don't worry, the metrics team will give your day off to someone who deserves it more and schedule your day off another day.

I hope the higher ups notice the massive churn and understand that underneath everything, people deserve to be treated as people, not machines who are slaves to customers who pay a mere $7.99 a month.

Great place to grow

Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits and perks. Great team of people that really care about each other and the customer.

Cons

Compensation isn't the competitive and internal promotions are hard to come by.

Know your team well enough to place leaders.

Best work experience I've ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-smart people
    -fun and creative culture -- you want to hang out w/the people you work with
    -competitive compensation and rewards for performance
    -ability to make a big impact regardless of level or title

Cons

-a lot of work to do; stamina is a must

Focus on hiring in great leaders at all levels who are able to inspire and motivate the team.

Hulu Photos

The Well, gathering space
Newly made bolster with the Simpsons
The Well