Hulu Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
Updated October 24, 2014
3.8

Mike Hopkins

Pros
  • Great benefits, great people, great management, fun atmosphere, and good pay (in 4 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere, great coworkers, young company, fun team outings and adventures (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Like with a lot of tech companies, maintaining work/life balance can be a challenge (in 3 reviews)

• Going through major growing pains, but until they have the right leadership in, will continue to get it wrong (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

It's a great place to work! I love my job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People walk around here happy - it's pretty cool.
    I am challenged everyday to do things different and push it to the next level. There are some naysayers and conservatives but very few - and so we try to influence them the best we can and keep driving for excellence.
    It took some time to get a new call to action from our leadership - a new vision for Hulu and finally we have it and we like it and our new leadership did a great job getting our ideas and then getting us on board. They are a likable and smart and ambitious group - which I like and feel we are a team - all of us.
    We have good events and the company is generous. Our office space is awesome and I really like our open and collaborative seating - no offices for anyone even ceo - so people are accessible.

Cons

We need more clarity around how we can grow in our careers here and ensuring the right people are in the right jobs. Our managers need to know how to manage, some are strong, others are not - are we holding them accountable? I'm not sure.

continue to gather input from us and include us in the discussions and idea generation.
    keep talking to us and stay visible.

Used to be a great company

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hulu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Used to be a great company with a lot of freedom in development process.
    Perks are ok, people who works in Santa Monica are great.

Cons

Lack of leadership, bad management and nobody tells what's going on in the company. You would find details about all major changes in the company from the news.
    Management would not help you to grow and improve. Expect shady decisions which would affect you and nobody would tell you if there's a problem.

Excellent Developers

Current Employee - Software Developer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Extremely smart developers who love to help each other.
    -Leadership trust our technical decisions, so we roll all our own software choosing whichever tech stack that makes sense
    -snacks

Cons

Definitely not a job for a mediocre developer who just want to clock in and out. This is a con for some but for those who takes development seriously, this is actually a pro

Great people, not so great career growth

I have been working at Hulu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Newly defined company north star and values, top tier executive leadership, collaborative team environments, fun company culture, great benefits and perks.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities, unreliable team leaders, misguided priorities and processes, continues to hemorrhage a lot of bright talent.

Facilitate learning opportunities to help define milestones for staff. Create clearer career roadmaps in order to promote from within. Define efficient processes by communicating more with other leads. Motivate and facilitate creative thinking stop asking for it. Be more receptive to the feedback of your team.

Hulu is a small startup becoming a large startup and is experiencing substantial growing pains.

Former Employee - Motion Graphics Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Motion Graphics Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hulu full-time (less than an year)

Pros

strong benefits, younger workforce, fun

Cons

lack of leadership, communication, product not improving

focus on the product, hire people that actually want to change it and improve it and allow them to.

All good things come to and end...consistent as gravity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Hulu full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Friendly work environment
    * Unlimited amount of snacks and drinks
    * Smart co-workers
    * Fast paced

Cons

Some of the current leaders, do not seem to know what they are doing and do not have the experience and/or knowledge to even be in their current positions. Going through major growing pains, but until they have the right leadership in, will continue to get it wrong. Also, certain members of the leadership team are extremely unethical, which has caused high turnover within their departments.

Should really evaluate who should be on their leadership team, who actually knows what they are doing and who needs to go.

Great place to work

I have been working at Hulu full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

free snacks, unlimited vacation days, great health benefits, good work life balance, very understanding management. I do enjoy working here and I feel like I am treated like a respected adult and not a child with someone constantly watching me over my shoulders. I get to own my projects.

Cons

I feel like things do get a bit stale and some people have no room for growth here. People get burned out just because they don't know where the company or their career is going.

A great company that lacks direction

Current Employee - Digital Video Publisher in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Video Publisher in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, great people, great management, fun atmosphere, and good pay. It is a great company to work for overall.

Cons

Lack of direction for company as a whole. Our new top management seems to lack focus on a goal. There is not enough communication between departments.

We lost a great many of our innovators over the past year. We need to find some more.

Times are changing

I have been working at Hulu

Pros

Relatively fun place to work

Cons

Used to be a great place, but leadership is lost. Hopefully, they'll get it together soon. The original leadership has left and with that a lot of talent below has also left. Salary is on the lower end.

Listen to your employees. There's a reason they're leaving.

Nicest, Smartest People Ever

Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Program Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hulu is an amazing place to work -- company policies are logical and egalitarian. There are few, if any, politcal landmines. Employees are kind, intellectually curious, hard working and just a little bit silly. Management seems to really respect individuality and self-reliance.

Cons

The company is experiencing growing pains -- old timers are leaving and it's a tough market for employers. Processes and procedures aren't necessarily in place.

Keep the start-up, employee-centric culture! Fight for the best talent you can find.

Hulu Photos

The Well, gathering space
Newly made bolster with the Simpsons
The Well