Hulu

www.hulu.com

Hulu Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Mike Hopkins

A place where builders build and everyone loves content

Product Manager (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsThe pinnacle of silicon beach. Fantastic development talent and very strong leadership team in place. Culture is paramount at Hulu and the internal team bends over backwards to make the entire team feel welcome and motivated.

ConsDev team is in a growth phase and as such, dev resources can be tight depending on the initiative. Also ads. While fundamental to the business, it is a hard sell to users that their content is supported by ads and is something the entire company struggles to message to it's users on a daily basis.

Brilliant engineers without the ego

Software Developer (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsDevs here are definitely top notch. There's many interesting projects with many different problems to tackle. All sorts of technologies are used here including a plethora of different languages. Endless choices in snacks and beverages.

ConsIn a crowded area of the LA area so be prepared for congestion or get yourself a bike or bus pass.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven though you guys are fairly new here, I commend you on the job you've done so far. You value our startup culture and embrace our decision making. Keep trusting the brilliant people you have and we will do great for the long haul.

A great place for determining your own destiny

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsWonderful people, good culture, a growing company with plenty of opportunity and decent compensation.

ConsGrowth is a challenge to the culture and the company is forging a new identity as a post start-up.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf culture is still truly a value, do not underestimate/overlook how important certain individuals can be in creating that. Invest in those people who cultivate and maintain the values you are trying to promote as much as you would invest in other areas.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A former startup with severe growing pains

Digital Video Publisher (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsThere were nice events and good benefits. However as the company grows larger those are being cut back. The office is beautiful, and people are accessible. There are nice perks like unlimited PTO and Be Well Stipend.

ConsUnfortunately, the team I worked on had a very negative vibe. It was a small team, but most of the senior members cliqued together and were uninterested in new team members. The environment is very cold and no one talks to each other. Many of the senior members are negative and bitter due to their stalled careers. There's a lot of micromanagement and negativity. Definitely one of my least enjoyable jobs.

Other teams may be better, but I've noticed there seems to an exodus of the talent for better work, now that Hulu no longer offers options.

Most rewarding experience in my career (so far)!

Technical Program Manager (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsHulu is a pretty new/young company with tons of room for growth. The team (i.e. company) takes its culture pretty seriously, and people around the organization make genuine efforts to keep making things better. The company went through a lot in the past year, including the makeover of the management team and having a high turnover, but things seem to have settled down significantly now, and there's a lot of excitement about where the business is headed.

ConsBeing a younger, developing company means not all the processes, procedures, systems, tools have been "perfected" (if there is such a thing). The team culture is one where you are intentionally given a lot of freedom/autonomy, flexibility, but that means you really have to take initiative, take ownership, speak up, and basically hold up your end of the bargain. If you're more comfortable in a more structured, highly organized environment, this may not be the right environment for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay humble, keep your ears and eyes wide open. Culture is the lifeline of this company. Help evolve it and shape it, but don't screw it up by bringing in some old school corporate crap from your previous corner office, suits & ties world. Listen to what your team members say, and understand where Hulu has come from first.

Be aware, poor management and false promises

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat compensation and benefits, office perks (drinks/food), fantastic people that do the work at an individual contributor level.

ConsMost of the management team has left, they will promise you anything to get you in but then you'll realize it was lies, no real company direction or vision, went from being a technology company to a media company, engineers and product team leaving daily (all growth is in customer support)

Intelligent people and good work-life balance

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsHiring standards are high, and people are friendly. Good work-life balance, opportunity to work on web-scale distributed systems. Office culture is positive and you have a lot of autonomy to your day-to-day work.

Table tennis is taken seriously and there are some good players in the company, which is personally a huge plus!

ConsWe tend to be a little behind first-tier engineering firms like Netflix and LinkedIn when it comes to developing new technology and contributing to open source.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the culture positive and have the courage to expand even when there are obstacles.

Exciting but Disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

Pros- Company treats their employees very, very well.
    - Great Perks
    - Fun atmosphere
    - Early years much greater than the recent few years

Cons- New corporate ownership has limited the company's ability to develop/grow/create
    - Product team seems to have a much greater management structure and opportunity; Avoid the Advertising team (except for Sales) at all costs!
    - Feels a little too much like 'High School'; focused has changed from work performance to being 'cool' and 'fun'
    - Senior management is now hiring their friends; in most cases less qualified
    - Management has very little training or experience; managers have been given opportunities because they were well like and in many cases very little expertise

Advice to Senior ManagementStart focusing on managers with work experience not just bring in (or promoting) your friends or 'fun' people

Happy to go to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsReally care about their employees. Ensure a great work environment for all team members. All opinions and ideas are encouraged. Doesn't matter your position

Conssometimes the setup for workstations don't allow a lot of privacy

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Great culture, great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployees are positive, people are really cool. Fast moving company. High potential for growth

ConsNone. Can't really think of any yet.

Worked for Hulu? Contribute to the Community!