Hulu

Updated January 24, 2015
Updated January 24, 2015
3.6

Mike Hopkins

Pros
  • Great benefits, great people, great management, fun atmosphere, and good pay (in 4 reviews)

• Fun atmosphere, great coworkers, young company, fun team outings and adventures (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Like with a lot of tech companies, maintaining work/life balance can be a challenge (in 3 reviews)

• Going through major growing pains, but until they have the right leadership in, will continue to get it wrong (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A+ culture and flat org

I have been working at Hulu full-time

Pros

Culture - smart, social people
    Management - much better than old team; ready to take the company to the next level. Previously just followed the word of Jason Kilar with zero collaboration
    Career switching - Great opportunity to switch teams. Lots of people have done this to try new jobs.

Cons

Salary - failure to pay and recognize top performers has caused many talented people to leave
    Promotion - HR consistently fails to explain how to get promotion. Each team wildly different.

Pay your top performers and recruit and retain developers.

nice experience, I have to admit

I worked at Hulu

Pros

right size, good team work spirit, imaginable future

Cons

awkward status quo, facing YouTube, Netflix, got the potential to stand out, but at the cost of investors, like camcast

more forward looking

Two steps forward, one step back

Former Employee - Escalation Engineer Lead in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Escalation Engineer Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hulu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company-wide, things are progressing. They are starting to get back into the game with their competition. Great culture at Hq - both events and initiatives from out hr team.

Cons

Pay is not merit-based quite often. The Cs department has changed some for the better but the lack of transparency coupled with the loss of 60+ people in one year makes for a poor morale and work environment. It often feels like leadership is not willing to accept or acknowledge negative feedback.

Keep staffing levels adequate. Invest less in events that are executed haphazardly for the Cs team and bring that value to bonuses or pay scale increases to reward great performances as they happen. Be honest.

Was once a great company to work for...

Former Employee - Customer Support Advocate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Advocate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hulu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome Benefits, Great Events and Parties, Selective Hiring, Great People, Even Great Managers.

Cons

Hulu is currently going through a lot change with a lot of growing pains and a lot of great were people lost because of it. Midway through my career there were no spots on the floor (where about 120 sat), when I left it was like a ghost town (20, maybe 25 seats were filled at best).

The employees do their best to keep their spirits up, managers are constantly giving bad news and are expected to keep morale high, the change in culture has resulted in high turnover and low morale. It no longer matters who your are as a person but how good your numbers are. Numbers determine if you can spend holidays with your family, if you'll have a decent day off. A Holiday falls on your day off? Don't worry, the metrics team will give your day off to someone who deserves it more and schedule your day off another day.

I hope the higher ups notice the massive churn and understand that underneath everything, people deserve to be treated as people, not machines who are slaves to customers who pay a mere $7.99 a month.

Best work experience I've ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-smart people
    -fun and creative culture -- you want to hang out w/the people you work with
    -competitive compensation and rewards for performance
    -ability to make a big impact regardless of level or title

Cons

-a lot of work to do; stamina is a must

Focus on hiring in great leaders at all levels who are able to inspire and motivate the team.

Great place to grow

Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Escalation Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits and perks. Great team of people that really care about each other and the customer.

Cons

Compensation isn't the competitive and internal promotions are hard to come by.

Know your team well enough to place leaders.

Beware a job in Support

Former Employee - Escalation Engineer
    Former Employee - Escalation Engineer

I worked at Hulu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great at making big promises. Fantastic company wide events. The tech team is full of super smart people.

Cons

Support management promises 10-20% below market pay then routinely delivers 15% lower than promised. People are frequently placed in undefined roles and left to flounder. Support team lives in total chaos day to day, and friction is always cast down to escalation engineers rather than leaders being held accountable.

Hire a new director for customer support ASAP

Used to be a great company

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hulu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Used to be a great company with a lot of freedom in development process.
    Perks are ok, people who works in Santa Monica are great.

Cons

Lack of leadership, bad management and nobody tells what's going on in the company. You would find details about all major changes in the company from the news.
    Management would not help you to grow and improve. Expect shady decisions which would affect you and nobody would tell you if there's a problem.

It's a great place to work! I love my job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Hulu full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People walk around here happy - it's pretty cool.
    I am challenged everyday to do things different and push it to the next level. There are some naysayers and conservatives but very few - and so we try to influence them the best we can and keep driving for excellence.
    It took some time to get a new call to action from our leadership - a new vision for Hulu and finally we have it and we like it and our new leadership did a great job getting our ideas and then getting us on board. They are a likable and smart and ambitious group - which I like and feel we are a team - all of us.
    We have good events and the company is generous. Our office space is awesome and I really like our open and collaborative seating - no offices for anyone even ceo - so people are accessible.

Cons

We need more clarity around how we can grow in our careers here and ensuring the right people are in the right jobs. Our managers need to know how to manage, some are strong, others are not - are we holding them accountable? I'm not sure.

continue to gather input from us and include us in the discussions and idea generation.
    keep talking to us and stay visible.

Hulu is a small startup becoming a large startup and is experiencing substantial growing pains.

Former Employee - Motion Graphics Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Motion Graphics Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hulu full-time (less than a year)

Pros

strong benefits, younger workforce, fun

Cons

lack of leadership, communication, product not improving

focus on the product, hire people that actually want to change it and improve it and allow them to.

Hulu Photos

The Well, gathering space
Newly made bolster with the Simpsons
The Well