Human Arc

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
2.7

Michael J. Baird

One of the best places to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Human Arc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The office environment is pleasant and my coworkers were the best people to have on your team. There is plenty of work and the team leaders are very supportive. The company is very generous with PTO/ Vacation Days.

Cons

Team leaders are involved in a lot of meetings and it gives them less time to spend with their team members.

Family atmosphere and good intentions

Current Employee - Account Representative I in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Account Representative I in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Human Arc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very family oriented atmosphere, and most of the people here are very nice to work with. I love what we do for our members and it makes me feel good to help others. A new service line manager was hired who genuinely want's to make things better, but higher authority doesn't support him...

Cons

Horrible pay, and no chance for upward mobility within the company as there are limited positions. There are people in lead positions who ask associates for help because they don't know how to do the job. Many things are demanded from employees, and everyone is expected to go above and beyond with little to no recognition and NO COMPENSATION. They briefly implemented an award set to recognize the top performers in the company, and it was awarded to an associate here for three months with a third of the account load that veteran associates have. It was a farce and left a horrible taste in the mouths of many people here, especially those who dedicate themselves daily to trying to go above and beyond the call of duty for their members even though they have over 1200 accounts to handle, phones ringing that MUST be answered, projects to complete, numbers and metrics to meet... it took my motivation away to be honest with you. Leadership seems to have no clue what customer service really means... they don't even grade calls, and people who perform horribly are still sitting in their seats and getting recognized, while those who do the best they can by our members are spread thin picking up everyone else's slack. One of the metrics here is to keep your members up to date by seven days... well the whole department was forced to do a clean up that meant those who actually were on point were forced to put their own work aside and catch the reps up who came in and shopped online all day. Not happy at all, not motivated.... Plus, the café here is HORRIBLE to eat a good lunch you have to leave work, and they charge filet mignon prices for bologna quality food. You have to pay to park your car to come to work in their PRIVATE lots, and there is no chance of ever seeing over fourteen dollars an hour regardless of your experience. You have to be here for ten plus years I guess, and I refuse to wait that long. Looking for a job elsewhere.

Learn how to run a call center, or at least the role you're managing. Recognize people for their efforts. Stop leaving your applause cards to collect dust and actually pass them out.

No room for advancement, terrible pay and benefits

I have been working at Human Arc full-time

Pros

Generally warm leadership
    Decent time off

Cons

No opportunities for advancement, especially for anyone outside of Cleveland where the home office is.
    Terrible group health plans and low pay
    Lack of positive company culture
    Inexperienced middle management

Listen to your employees. Their needs are valid.
    Don't make promises regarding advancement that you can't keep.

Terrible Leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Human Arc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Vacation Days are great you get a month off after your first year
    Relaxed Work Environment

Cons

Everything else.
    People are too relaxed
    Senior Management doesn't understand how terrible it is Or maybe they do and are good at pretending like everything is fine.

HIre hard working people who want to make a difference. Leadership also doesn't like innovation or new challenges

It's a good career starter, but no room for mobility.

I have been working at Human Arc full-time

Pros

People are nice and the work they do makes a difference.

Cons

Benefits aren't the best. Employee morale is low. There is not enough support from the higher-ups.

Needs to listen to their teams needs. Better compensation packages would be nice.

Nice environment, high pressure, high volume call center.

Former Employee - Account Representative I in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Account Representative I in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Human Arc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They really do care for their employees, They only hire the best. 1 hour for lunch. Minimal Pay for volunteer work on the weekends, and evenings.

Cons

No breaks during the shift. You can get up and get coffee, or visit the bathroom, but time off the phones counts against you.

Institute 2, 15 minute breaks during the day.

A successful company with a great mission

Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Human Arc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The mission to help the underprivileged is great.

Cons

The demand level is very high and the pay is not great. The performance targets are often not realistic compared to pervious history thus creating a negative energy or morale.

Office culture needs an overhaul. Also, there needs to be a change to the infrastructure somehow, they can't expect increased performance without making some kind of change or improvement to the workflow.

Social Security call center

Current Employee - Disability Assistant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Disability Assistant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Human Arc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pretty casual environment. Easy work.

Higher ed is not required - do not recommend entry level positions for people with degrees.

Cons

Business ran like a call center with a focus on numbers rather than people. Case managers are overloaded with work due to an emphasis on high case volume.

Often "accept" cases that are not legitimate in order to boost numbers

Culture is very clicky and ability to advance can only follow specific structure. Low pay.

Live up to the mission of helping people, with a focus on customer satisfaction. Do not base performance so highly on numbers that do represent a complete picture.

Focus on performance results rather than minimal issues such as clocking in 5 minutes late or short taking breaks. If an exmployee is exceeding expectations, do not punish for small things like this. Reward for the success achieved and you will see lower turnover.

Use to be a great place to wok.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Human Arc

Pros

Flexible hours, the PTO , and Volunteer requirement show me who this company has been and can be again.

Cons

No longer helping people. Leadership from the top down only care about chasing numbers, at the same time, good quality work no longer important. This once wonderful company is no longer the place it once was.

Back to basic. Go back to the beginning. Try to remember why you decided to start this company in the first place. See if that is still important.

Not bad but not the best either

I have been working at Human Arc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

laid back
    comfortable
    managers easy to talk to
    positive culture

Cons

low pay
    shabby building
    focus is seem to be not really on the future

more money less fluff
    its good to offer little perks and whatnot, but overall if you have park on the street in downtown cleveland and work what is always more than you were hired to be doing then the pay should be more