Human Rights Campaign

Human Rights Campaign Reviews

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Interning with HRC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern

ProsI think the atmosphere at HRC is amazing. The people are really nice and there's no one with a superiority complex. We have a lot of help available to us as interns and people are always eager to answer any questions you have. You learn a lot about the LGBT movement and its history. The brownbag luncheons were really informative. They also feed you really great food!

ConsThe internship was unpaid and our travel stipends were really meager, which makes it a bit difficult to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know it may not be possible to pay interns, but please think about raising the amount you give interns for the travel stipend.

Intern

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern for less than a year

Prosgreat people, great atmosphere, helpful brownbag lunch series for interns

Consit sucks that the internships are unpaid

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat

Employee friendly job and one where you feel you are contributing to society, in a good industry

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign part-time for more than 3 years

ProsCulture, atmostphere, great communication among employees and management, pretty good benefits early in career, somewhat immune to economic flucuations

ConsSeasonal, somewhat limited room for advancement, there are a few bad employees, some of whom are gatekeepers, but there are workarounds

Advice to Senior ManagementApply the rules to everyone, monitor hours a little more closely

Greatest summer internship I could ask for

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern for less than a year

ProsIncredible staff who want to hear your opinions, even if you are on the low end of the totem pole. They do awesome work, both politically and through their foundation, and are pushing to include more and more people in the fight for LGBT equality.

ConsThe internship was unpaid, which made it hard financially, but it was certainly extremely educational and worth more than what I pay for a semester of college.

Awesome Place to Work

I worked at Human Rights Campaign

ProsThe Human Rights Campaign is truly an amazing place to work. The environment is one of "work hard, play hard", everyone is very goal driven and passionate about the their work.

ConsIt's a smaller office which can provide some downsides. Additionally, as a nonprofit it can sometimes run in to resource constraints, however every attempt is made to fully utilize all resources available in an efficient manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to stretch the boundaries and reach for the impossible. The work you do is incredibly important, keep it up.

Pretty good experience with some drawbacks

Communications Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern for less than a year

ProsEveryone was exceptionally friendly; the interns (and law fellows, to an extent) all bonded. Opportunities to attend events with lots of big names in D.C. They hire out of the intern pool a LOT.

ConsUnpaid, only $100 in travel stipend for 10 weeks, which is ridiculously low for D.C.'s metro system. Few of the interns had enough work to do; I knew someone who regularly went home at 2 or 3 p.m. and everyone else was surfing the Internet for at least half the day. There's some, but not a lot of, critical examination of the HRC party line.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpect more of your interns! They can all handle more work, and more substantive work too.

A growing organization with continued growth throughout the nation that offers opportunities in various career fields.

IT Support Specialist (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThriving non-profit organization with many job opportunities. Can be considered a spring-board for other potential jobs which are tied to political offices or attorney-orientated company's.

ConsStill feels that a solid foundation is not present in the organizational day-to-day processes. Too much staff movement and mobility probably accounts for mismanagement at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementProcedures, guidelines, and standards must be kept up-to-date and enforced.

Great goals, great people, great work environment!

I worked at Human Rights Campaign

ProsThe staff is very helpful. Everyone is treated equally. Great Senior support.

ConsNot much room to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Working for equality with the Human Rights Campaign

Orlando, FL

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign

ProsThe people are truly amazing and everyone working there has a strong passion to drive them to meet their goals.

ConsIn my experience, the management is a bit disorganized, but that's mostly due to the fact that I have free reign over my schedule. I don't really answer to anyone in specific, nor does my progress or work get logged in any measurable way.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave concrete goals for employees to reach, a daily / weekly milestone to show their progress along that goal would also facilitate reaching goals better.

Good place to learn, not to grow

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time

ProsOpportunity to work on key issues in the LGBT community and be a part of measurable change in state and federal work. HRC is a leader with strong funding ties, making it a very stable place to work. At HRC, there's a good opportunity for learning a set of varied skills outside of the immediate demands of the work.

ConsVery corporate culture and a reputation for steamrolling other organizations that can make the internal politics of the broader coalition difficult to navigate. In some departments, there is no opportunity to move up either because of existing structure or a tendency to hire management from an external pool of applicants rather than from within.

Worked for Human Rights Campaign? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Human Rights Campaign reviews and ratings. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Human Rights Campaign employees.