Human Rights Campaign Reviews

1. Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very cool, laid back, progressive organization to work at and much of the staff is very friendly and helpful in mentoring. The events are absolutely amazing to be apart of.

Cons

Communication between divisions is quite poor, in that sometimes people do not realize that someone is out of the office or when their interns work. There is also a lack of substantial work at times, which ends up in having to go to other departments to find something to work on.

2. Poorly run

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked my way up from an intern to full-time employment while I was still a undergrad in DC. I met some great people who I still keep in touch with today.

Cons

Not a great place to grow and they pay very low. Finance Department is all over the place and the people who are running the department obviously do not know what they're doing. If you know someone in the company, you'll definitely get in even if you're not qualified. For a company that is supposed to support equality, many employees are not treated that way.

Advice to Management

Hire on managers and employees that are actually qualified for the job. Also, use the money that is donated to this non-profit towards its mission, not parties.

3. HRC is a great place to work and grow professionally

Former Intern - Foundation Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Foundation Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at HRC as an intern, I was able to build an incredible community of mentors, fellow activists, and friends. I would highly recommend the internship program. It includes robust programming, valuable mentorship, and fabulous professional connections that I don't know if I could've gotten anywhere else.

Cons

Perhaps the only draw-back to the internship program is that some internships can be very silo-ed. Some of my fellow interns were assigned to only one project and had to fight pretty hard to get flexibility to work on other things. That was not my experience, but I think it's something to watch out for.

Advice to Management

I think that management is overall doing a great job! The environment there is friendly, considerate, warm, collegial, and fabulous. I just think that they need to ensure that all interns are PAID in the future. Currently, only a small portion of interns receive stipends.

5. GOOD WORK, GREAT ENVIRONMENT

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Laid-back environment with a high energy staff. Very bright and open setting. HRC is highly strategic in the work that it does and plans out strategies excellently.

Cons

Sometimes Senior Management can treat other staff like they are below them. Sometimes "favorites" get away with doing very little while other staff is loaded down with work. Compensation could be higher for entry level staff

6. Pretty good experience with some drawbacks

Former Intern - Communications Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Communications Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone was exceptionally friendly; the interns (and law fellows, to an extent) all bonded. Opportunities to attend events with lots of big names in D.C. They hire out of the intern pool a LOT.

Cons

Unpaid, only $100 in travel stipend for 10 weeks, which is ridiculously low for D.C.'s metro system. Few of the interns had enough work to do; I knew someone who regularly went home at 2 or 3 p.m. and everyone else was surfing the Internet for at least half the day. There's some, but not a lot of, critical examination of the HRC party line.

Advice to Management

Expect more of your interns! They can all handle more work, and more substantive work too.

7. Good place to learn, not to grow

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work on key issues in the LGBT community and be a part of measurable change in state and federal work. HRC is a leader with strong funding ties, making it a very stable place to work. At HRC, there's a good opportunity for learning a set of varied skills outside of the immediate demands of the work.

Cons

Very corporate culture and a reputation for steamrolling other organizations that can make the internal politics of the broader coalition difficult to navigate. In some departments, there is no opportunity to move up either because of existing structure or a tendency to hire management from an external pool of applicants rather than from within.

8. Intern

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

great people, great atmosphere, helpful brownbag lunch series for interns

Cons

it sucks that the internships are unpaid

Advice to Management

Great

9. Greatest summer internship I could ask for

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible staff who want to hear your opinions, even if you are on the low end of the totem pole. They do awesome work, both politically and through their foundation, and are pushing to include more and more people in the fight for LGBT equality.

Cons

The internship was unpaid, which made it hard financially, but it was certainly extremely educational and worth more than what I pay for a semester of college.

Field Manager

Former Employee - Field Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Field Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Passionate workforce. Fun environment. Great cause.

Cons

Long hours. If quota is not made you are let go.

Advice to Management

Offer a paypal system for donations.

A growing organization with continued growth throughout the nation that offers opportunities in various career fields.

Current Contractor - IT Support Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Contractor - IT Support Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Thriving non-profit organization with many job opportunities. Can be considered a spring-board for other potential jobs which are tied to political offices or attorney-orientated company's.

Cons

Still feels that a solid foundation is not present in the organizational day-to-day processes. Too much staff movement and mobility probably accounts for mismanagement at times.

Advice to Management

Procedures, guidelines, and standards must be kept up-to-date and enforced.

Human Rights Campaign Photos

Human Right Campaign headquarters (Photo thanks to Flickr user NCinDC, available under by-nd v2.0)
Human Rights Campaign (Photo thanks to Flickr user bankbryan, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)
Green Roof at Human Rights Campaign (Photo thanks to Flickr user whiteknuckled, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo