HumanConcepts
www.humanconcepts.com Sausalito, CA 16 to 50 Employees

HumanConcepts Reviews in Sausalito, CA

HumanConcepts – Sausalito – “HC”

Martin Sacks

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If you're into hard work, this is your place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

ProsAbility to learn new things
    Employees encouraged to take on new projects

ConsExpectations can be unreal at times
    Employee acknowledgement could be more consistent
    Too much turnover with senior staff

Great company, great people

Sausalito, CA

ProsFast growing and fast paced environment. Market leader in the next big category in the HR space. Much opportunity for personal growth and learning, as well as career advancement. Culture is to promote from within. Respectful work environment and work life balance encouraged. Entrepeneurial culture. No beaurocracy.

ConsSmall company relative to Oracle, SAP, Successfactors. Requires individual initiative. You are not going to be overmanaged here. Not the place for people who dont like change.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate plans more. More feedback on individual performance would be nice.

I can't recommend HC since there are so many negatives, but...

Manager (Former Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

ProsBecause I was doing the work of 3 positions, I gained some great experience. While I did not get the deserved promotion at HC (that would have been more $$$ for my dept), I did receive a significant promotion with my next company. I was definitely able to advance my career because of all the extra duties that I had to take on at HC.
    The location is nice, especially if you live in Marin.
    I did work inpendently (my mgr was too busy to pay attention to me) and was given autonomy within my dept.
    I want to acknowledge the friendly environment among the employees and the committed and hard working people there.

ConsConfusing objectives which change weekly.
    Completely unrealistic expectations and deadlines for employees who are already doing the work of 3 people.
    Understaffed, underpaid.
    High burn out due to ridiculous work loads; high turnover due to disastified employees; frequent 'layoffs' by mgmt to keep staff salaries down.
    Communication among depts is poor.
    Mgmt does not care about employees needs related to benefits, additional staffing, basic workplace functionality (people are squished together and no consideration of ergonomics), or much else.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO/owner only cares about the bottom line (and certainly not about the employees). He's too busy figuring out how to squeeze every dollar out of the business for his next international vacation.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The opportunity is there for those that want it

Sausalito, CA

Pros- Opportunity to make a difference
     - High level of autonomy
     - Great products and vision
     - Your career is in your own hands
     - Location

Cons- Small company so you have to justify every dollar spent many times over
     - Resource strapped, makes it difficult to address all opportunities well
     - You need to be strong to work here and enjoy it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus your efforts.

It's a job, not a career.

(Current Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

Pros-A foot in the door within the HCM space
    -There are some very nice, hard working people here

Cons-Pay relative to other firms within the space
    -Benefits below industry standard. If you are married, have children or both (or prefer a HMO), you are better served getting benefits on your own
    -Stock/employee equity. There is little, if any
    -No 401k matching
    -Difficult commute outside the North Bay and San Francisco
    -Unreasonable expectations
    -Very high turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementShare the wealth. Other than the CEO, who benefited from Administaff acquisition?

Steer Clear

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

Pros- Nice office location
    - Allow most of their employees to work from home at least two or three days per week

Cons- Management puts completely unrealistic expectations on their employees. I had enough work to do for at least three full-time engineers. As a result I was working 12 - 15 hour days at least 6 days a week just to try and keep up. Even then it wasn't possible.
    - Management does not care about or understand the daily problems being faced. When I would explain the issues we faced and that it was going to take weeks and possibly even months to rectify I was still expected to turn it around on a dime.
    - Very high pressure placed on you to meet totally unrealistic deadlines. Sizings are completely ignored when you give them. This happens to one extent or another at a lot of companies but at HC this was quite over the top.
    - Huge employee turnover. The best people come and go so quickly you hardly realize they were even there.

Advice to Senior Management- Stop treating your employees like they don't matter and actually listen to them. If they tell you it's going to take 6 weeks to complete a project don't give them 1 week and expect the same output. It's just not going to happen.

Horrible place to work

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

Pros- it's a good "respectable" place to have in your resume
    - High turnover, so if you don't like somebody you work with it's unlikely you'll be working with them for long.
    - Some of the people there really rocks, too bad they leave early.

ConsOh boy, this is going to be a long list...

- You're doing a good job only if you're kissing the right asses. Independent thought is highly discouraged.
    - Management doesn't have a clear career plan for anybody. You're stuck in the position you're hired.
    - The tools provided to you are ridiculous: I had to buy my own laptop bag. Seriously?
    - Rule thru fear only goes so far. In this case, makes people afraid to innovate. HC is the least innovative company I worked for in my life.
    - Product Management discipline is nonexistent, led by a person that doesn't know the first thing about it. The only good PM is marginalized in favor of the usual brown noses.
    - The salary, benefits and office decoration are truly disgraceful, people are stashed against each other in a way that makes everybody unproductive.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue, hire a serious VP of Product (not Product Marketing, there's a difference...) and start letting your people do your job the way they really can, instead of micro-managing everything into the ground.

Also, after the first few weeks, it gets really tiresome to deal with the dictatorial attitude of higher management. Change this, nobody likes working there and your talented people are all looking for a way out.

Serious employee turnover at this company.

Sales (Former Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

ProsGood location if you reside in Marin County. Good software features (if/when they work).

ConsAverage tenure at this company is about 6-9 months. With so much employee turnover, the few employees that are left cannot put together a strategy for growth & development if they are always hiring new employees & training them.

This company is completely strapped for cash & will not spend the money to make money. You are better off paying for your own health benefits. No 401K matching either.

Advice to Senior ManagementA serious lack of strategy. This company makes decisions solely based on how to stay afloat just one more month or two - never a long term strategy like most companies have. Several of the members of upper management are out of their league - & it is clear that they look like deer-in-headlights when asked about any type of vision for the company. But then again, they don't have any direction from the CEO either...

Some Good, More Bad

Sales (Former Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

ProsGood legacy customer base. Brand name in HCM. Enterprise product has matured but tough sell in down economy. If you live in Marin, great location. If you live south of SF, tough commute.

ConsLack of seasoned excutives. Slow company growth and investment. Lots of employee attrition. No/little benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut a plan together and stick w/ it. Share the plan w/ with your employees and have some integrity and decency to the employees who care and make a difference. You are an 'HR' company after all. Remember...your employees are you best asset.

Great opportunity to work at a company that is profitable and growing.

Chief Technology Officer (Current Employee)
    Sausalito, CA

ProsCareer growth opportunities abound if you are willing to work hard.

ConsAlways something more to do - lots and lots of customer opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrioritize opportunities - you can't do everything.

Worked for HumanConcepts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HumanConcepts reviews and ratings in Sausalito, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for HumanConcepts CEO Martin Sacks. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by HumanConcepts employees.