Humana Reviews in Cincinnati, OH

Updated September 5, 2014
3.2

Humana President and CEO Bruce D. Broussard
Bruce D. Broussard

Pros
  • work from home opportunities and can grow from within when others leave (in 41 reviews)

• many fantastic internal opportunities for current employees; enjoy the work-life balance (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Sad that a health insurance company does not take car of its own employees (in 40 reviews)

• Work/life balance can be a little hard to maintain (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Analyst in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work-life balance, plenty of paid time off and holidays. There is opportunity to have employer paid development training and tuition reimbursement. Company culture was very pleasant and the management genuinely seemed to care for their employees well-being.

Cons

Opportunity to move up in the company seemed to be contingent on who you knew.

Consider having HR update your application system. You are missing many great applicants who never even get to be screened by a human.

Registered Nurse Case Manager - Telephonic

Current Employee - Registered Nurse Case Manager  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse Case Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home
    Help members maximize their Medicare and Medicaid benefits

Cons

Poor IT system - always down
    Poorly trained middle management with little to no oversight
    Higher levels of management do not understand CMS guidelines
    Policies and procedures are out-dated and not followed - per instruction of management

Increased management and leadership training for middle management
    Increased oversight of middle management
    Review of clinical policies & procedures - not following these WILL result in a tag from CMS

It was an experience but overall a waste of six months.

Former Employee - Web Developer  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Humana full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay and benefits were pretty amazing.

Cons

As a Syntel contractor, it took months to be reimbursed a thousand dollars for a two-week hotel stay which they set up, and when my contract ended, I was not allowed time off to move back home for my new job that started a week later.

Humana should probably terminate all of their Syntel contracts.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Good Hustle

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

medical benefits are ok depending on what plan you choose, decent pay, wellness breaks, nice co-workers, good place work if you looking to pay some bills off or to stack money due to OT opportunity

Cons

way too many task for an entry level position, call center=teenage like environment, limited advancement opportunity(beware they hype you up in training), horrible recognition, the worst turn over rate I have ever seen I mean the worst! This is not a good place for "get your foot in the door and move up" you'll be disappointed, favoritism is the name of the game, its not what you know but who you know and you don't have to know a thing!

corporate should engage more with all levels so that the company's values are demonstrated in person instead of by emails, choose/train your leadership better most of them are copy and paste leaders

Good company to work for entry level

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Supervisors, good salary, work-life balance, benefits are good not as good as you would think for an insurance company. Quick raises

Cons

Movement it is a buddy system not always based on numbers but on having a positive attitude or knowing someone in that department.

please review your practices for future employees and please do not hire trainers who have never done the job they are not effective and end up creating confusion in a market that is based on accurate information.

Humana is Inhuman which means lacking pity, kindness, or mercy : savage.... which is straight from Webster's dictionary.

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is decent, but the insurance is awful. I have Humana insurance through my husband's employer because Humana's employee insurance is horrible.

Cons

The place is a mess, and I don't know how they stay in business. It's awful for the Humana members too because they spend all day being passed from one department to the next because of the lack of training. They treat their employees like cattle and they have the audacity to say that they're all about well-being and work/life balance. Yeah right!! The overtime they expect their employees to work is outrageous, and as a result employees only work work work without having time for their family. If you love overtime then come to Humana, but I bet you won't love it for long. Try 3 hours of overtime 5 days a week and see how much you love it.

Stop treating your employees like cattle!!!! We are people too. Stop wasting money paying for overtime, and figure out how to become more efficient. Maybe if you treat people better then you could keep the employees you have and finally close the revolving door. The place is a mess because nobody with good sense stays. They "half" train their employees and then throw them to the wolves with 3 hours overtime right from the start. Don't waste your time because it's the worst company ever!!!!

Non-caring - Micromanagement

Former Employee - Data Entry  in  Springdale, OH
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Springdale, OH

I worked at Humana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not a very good place to work if you have a family. They expect you to follow their rules no matter how illegal they are, especially the work hours. Mandatory overtime work hours no excuses, I've seen them offer gift certificates to employee to have them work their regular 8 hours and the 2 hours overtime, go home and come back to work till 12 midnight (Order Entry Dept Cinti, OH Springdale). Management is very unprofessional, how they speak to you, their demeanor. Watch those breaks 15 mins and lunch 30 mins and you've been sitting at a computer for 3 to 4 hours!

Cons

The insurance that's offered to employees is the worst I've seen for a healthcare insurance company. This company is money driven and that's their bottom line. I worked in OE-Data entry the lowest job you could have their, but the most important one when you think frontline we're the first to see the scripts come through, yet we have no support. We're pushing through hundreds of prescription orders HOURLY, but the expectations do not match what you have to deal with performing this job. The computer system is horrible and the OE personnel is expected to meet or exceed unreachable goals.

Think about your (frontline) employees more (Data Entry / Order Entry) they have helped make this company what it is. And remember your customers are also your employees, and we see first hand how employees are treated (BEHIND THE SCENES). Give raises sometimes that always helps.

Work Life Balance? Depends on department where you work.....

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great matching 401K program, above average pay, overall benefit package is decent, room for growth seems to be available.

Cons

During busy season it is IMPOSSIBLE to schedule any appointments for your personal needs and they have virtually no concern for your personal well-being during "season". You are told during the interview process and training that the overtime is MANDATORY (first of all, there's no such thing). You are literally scheduled for 11.5 hour days five days a week and then sometimes on the 6th day. They will add overtime with less than 24 hours notice and you are expected to be there even if you have scheduled an appointment--unless you can get someone to trade your shift. I have less of an issue with the mandatory overtime than I do the last minute changes to your schedule--neither of these situations, however, operates under their corporate talk of "work-life balance". They expect "perfect service" from the staff, which is fine...all members should be given accurate information and have their needs exceeded. HOWEVER, there are serious IT system issues which literally prevent you from giving accurate information to customers or force you to do work arounds that ultimately cause customers to spend more time than necessary to obtain the requested information. And the response to that it is......"it is what it is, we are aware of it". Well, one year later of being told "it's a known issue" is more than a little disturbing. The "big picture" is not readily clear among management in my department. Unfortunately, they are more focused on whether or not I have called the wrong department to obtain some information for my customer or perhaps have failed to find the answer to my question in their never-ending volumes of documents telling you how to get your job done--before contacting someone for assistance. It's almost as if the "process" of getting information for your customers and getting your questions answered is actually more important than the end result. And that does not make for good business sense. But, then again, I am speaking of only one department of approximately 1400 people.

No real advice for executive management, but local management--listen to the front line employees. They are the one's with the customer contact, every single day. If for an entire year, you continue to hear the same thing, then trust that it is an issue with the customers. We are not just talking to hear ourselves talk, because quite frankly, we talk all day long to customers.

Humana Overview

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really cares about their members

Cons

none at this time thanks.

n/a

Going nowhere

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in West Chester, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Healthcare is growing and Humana's stock is doing well. I like the management which I report to.

Cons

In meetings I get to hear how the companies’ profits and stock are going way up but I have lost one third of my income since last year. If a raise is given at all, it will be about every 16 months instead of yearly. The raises do not keep up with inflation. In spite of becoming a more valuable employee I am actually losing money. In addition to poor wages there is pressure to contribute your personal time and money to charitable causes in the name of Humana. I support charity but not to give a company a good name at my cost and effort. I appreciate the diversity Humana embraces but they do it by creating groups. I get emails telling me that I should celebrate all these other groups of people but there is actually no group for me. I Feel their groups separate me from others.

The grassroots meeting tells us how great the company is doing and the cost per prescription fill for the customer is going down. It is discouraging and insulting to know profits are really high but there is no reward for us. Every time I hear the cost per fill went down I wonder if it just came out of my paycheck.

Worked for Humana? Contribute to the Community!