Humana Reviews in Cincinnati, OH

Updated September 5, 2014
3.2

Humana President and CEO Bruce D. Broussard
Bruce D. Broussard

Pros
  • work from home opportunities and can grow from within when others leave (in 48 reviews)

• many fantastic internal opportunities for current employees; enjoy the work-life balance (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a little hard to maintain (in 21 reviews)

• Health insurance benefits offered to its own employees could be definitely better (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Lots of changes nearly every week

Current Employee - Case Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great vacation pkg, motivated supervisors

Cons

Hard to get a raise

Give some real tangible things to do for a raise or promotion.

DON'T LET THE BIG NAME FOOL YOU

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Full Time Work
    Comfortable work area

Cons

Pay - no raises or incentives
    Mandatory OT - iIlegal work hours
    High Deductible Insurance
    No clear leadership from management
    Workers have no rights - Company manages by threats and intimidation

Stop threats and intimidation
    Stop micro managing workers

Your best is RARELY good enough

Former Employee - Item Entry Tech in Springdale, OH
    Former Employee - Item Entry Tech in Springdale, OH

I worked at Humana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can pay bills/expenses, the somewhat set hours outside overtime, my co-workers who sometimes got me through the day, location.

Cons

The mandatory overtime was too much at times. It was as high as 20-23 hours a week on top of the regular 40 hour work week.They would "ask" for overtime even on very short notice and then ask you why you didn't sign up making you feel like it was mandatory when that isn't how they word it some of the time. For example they "asked" everyone towards the end of one week to come in for 4 hours or so on a sunday (which we do not normally work) I specifically asked in our meeting if this was a request or mandatory and was told it was highly suggested. I didn't take that as mandatory so I did not sign up since it is very difficult to find a sitter for my daughter since my husband works odd hours on the weekends and would be sleeping late.My manager was on vacation at the time so another boss basically grilled me as to why I wasn't signing up and if I could make up the hours the coming week. I refused because they said it wasn't mandatory. I did get into trouble because I didn't work the mandatory 10 hours of overtime that week either which I understand is punishable. Sometimes I just felt like I had to stand up for myself there because the management didn't have your back. They are financial compensated with bonuses for our good performance so of course you are only worth the quality/quantity of your work there. Anyone who tells you differently is naive and feeds into the wellbeing propaganda they spout to everyone so maybe they will overlook the pressure, stress, and constantly changing standards that you have to meet very quickly.Not to mention the AWEFUL health insurance that is more like a discount program. They were fine with the 30 rxs per hour I typed when I started but as it went higher and higher I kept struggling and that inital 30 went to 32, 34, 40 and I was still struggling to maintain 34 while keeping errors under control. I mentioned more than once that maybe I could move to a different department but it always fell on deaf ears.I was burnt out with the atmosphere (not the work) so it majorly affected my performance despite my best effots not to let it. It is difficult to get back on track when they make you watch other people that type twice as much as you and think it will do anything but make me feel inferior because I will never type that fast without making numerous errors. What is funny is I probably made more than the girl I had to watch type because they give raises sporadically and seemingly at random. They kept actng like quality over quantity was what matters most but as I mentioned before the expectation kept increasing. I am not sure how they can say that our, my wellbeing, was important to them when we sat all day for as much as 14 plus hours a day during peak times. Yes the pto was nice but it was also for sick days which is understandable. They almost have to allot pto because the burnt out is so high there they try to offset it. But don't be fooled it isn't for our benefit, it is for the company's soley as they feel we will be more productive that way. I was unhappy there most of the time but felt stuck because of the money and since I do not have a degree yet. The communication between us and the management was not good. Different teams were told different things or nothing at all by email to recap meetings for people that weren't there. The new system they bought for us to use doesn't make sense in that it is not user friendly from a data entry perspective and whom ever decided to buy it has obviously never done our job.Anyway work for them at your own risk. Who knows you may be stronger than I and be one of the few that excells there. After all this is only my opinion based on my experience.

We can tell when you are pretending to care when you do not. So do not put on an act and we may respect you for it. The leaders send out email after email all day long so why can't they send out recap emails for the people who were off during the meeting? Many days I didn't even see my boss and am still not sure if she was off or somewhere else because she didn't take a minute to let us know what was going on and had to seek out someone else to get help. There are several team leads at the springdale ohio location that are excellent at their job and are great motivators. I think some of them are better than a few of the current front line leaders. Get more feedback from the teams about their leaders and actually implement necessary changes instead of just going through the motions to appease us for a short while. I can see what the company is accomplishing and where it may go but please do not steamroll the little guy to get there. I am a person with a family and a life and as much as you thank me for doing overtime that we are forced to do you are not welcome when I miss out on so much time with my family.

They talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

Current Employee - Company Contact Lead in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Company Contact Lead in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was able to help people with their insurance issues. I did this by providing education and guidance. They are a large company and have a lot of opportunities once hired.

Cons

They are very shiny on the outside but not so sweet on the inside. They have a very cookie cutter image and don't respond well to those who do not fit into that mold. Advancement becomes difficult. The benefits are terrible considering they are an insurance company. Internal customer service is borderline rude and often not very helpful. As employees, we are expected to go above and beyond to offer the ultimate customer service experience but as the consumer that is far from what happens.

Listen to your employees and start Walking the Talk.

Not for everyone

Former Employee - Member Services in Springdale, OH
    Former Employee - Member Services in Springdale, OH

I worked at Humana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some hard techs- good extra benefits (tution reimbursement, on site gym and cafe

Cons

Extra long hours- mandatory overtime, gives us pto but hardly allowed to use it. Favoritism is defiantly in place. Management does not understand how mentally exhausting it can be on the phones all day getting yelled at then be talked down to about your metrics. And when you do a great job for months/ years you still don't get assigned additional off the phone work. New hires who do not have nearly as much background in pharmaceuticals nor are even certified and started out at a much higher pay rate. When you go to upper management about issues about you're concerns you are generally given a bs answer then everything is forgotten. When u are given an off the phone task the race card is played and given to another person of different race. Not ALL departments are this risky. Member services is a big dept who often portrays this.

Pay more attention to associates concerns

Great salary great wellness benefits poor management

Former Employee - Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Humana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great salary. Great wellness benefits. Humana vitality Humana nurse line Humana cares fitness facility with trainers massage employee lounges chef created cafe delicious

Cons

Poor management poor follow up to employee issues poor communication when not at management level a lot of pettiness amongst coworkers claim to have internal jobs available but really just give the jobs to their friends and pretend to have interview process odd decision layoffs

Remember that a title is not everything we are all human beings and need to be respected

A very decent job

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Regular hours, good people and supervisers. Good Pay

Cons

The "NO" returns policy. Hard to tell an old lady that she can't return her meds.

Keep up the good work!

Stuck in neutral

Current Employee - Member Services in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Member Services in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My fellow co-workers. The individuals that I refer to as my extended family, perform extraordinary feats on a daily basis with one goal in mind...servicing the members! No matter the amount of negative energy pushed their way from management and a small host of members. They trudge forward.

Cons

Job Stagnation! At this juncture of a two year transition to a wellness company, career progression is non-existent unless your goals are in the mail order Rx business.

Humana is very different

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice office and decent pay

Cons

a lot of favoritism in the company

Pay attention to what you lower level supervisors and leads are doing because all they do is hang out all day and try to figure out where they are going to eat and what the flavor of the day is at the cupcake place.

Not bad.

Former Employee - Finance in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Finance in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Humana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. State of the art facility. Cheap gym.

Cons

They don't care about their employees and there is alot of cattiness with co-workers.