Humana

Humana Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Humana President and CEO Bruce D. Broussard

Bruce D. Broussard

Pros
  • work from home opportunities and can grow from within when others leave(in 41 reviews)

• many fantastic internal opportunities for current employees; enjoy the work-life balance(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Sad that a health insurance company does not take car of its own employees(in 40 reviews)

• Work/life balance can be a little hard to maintain(in 17 reviews)

My experience has been excellent

Specialist (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsThere is room to move up

Consa lot of people applying for the same positions

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great company to work for

ProsI enjoy working for Humana. I work with a cohort of many other young, intelligent professionals who are eager to contribute to this company. Lots of opportunities for growth.

ConsHumana has said they are trying to end "silos" but from the sales end, that is all we see. Not enough fluidity.

Advice to Senior ManagementBruce Broussard is an excellent CEO.

excellent job opportunity

Prosopportunities to grow, good benefits

Consthere is not enough training

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Telesales Specialist

Telesales Agent (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsCommission based with decent Base pay.Great culture.

ConsTime off during end of the year/holidays is really hard to get.
    Wanted to move in to management positions but it was just the telesales position available in Phoenix. That was the only reason for me to leave.

Good Ole Boy System

MarketPoint Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsWould be a perfect job but...

ConsThe MALE sales managers have WAY too much freedom to either make or break your career

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your markets. Sales management needs to have wings clipped

Worked there - left due to horrible benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDirect managers were great to work for in every department for me. I worked at several departments over the years of employment.

ConsThe health insurance giant provide horrible health care benefits for the employees. Thousands of dollars for deductibles are not health insurance it is only catastrophic care insurance. Sad that a health insurance company does not take car of its own employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare some of the health benefits you have with the front line and lower management staff. You make all the money, get the bonus and then have better health insurance than the people who do all the work.

Like getting paid to go to prison every day

Clinical Specialist Pharmacy (Former Employee) Louisville, KY

ProsPaid parking passes
    Some co-workers could be fun
    Overtime was easy to attain

ConsBlackout dates for time off requests could be up to six months at a time - no vacations, days off, doctors appointments, etc.
    Required overtime (working 60-70 hours a week for months on end)
    Constant computer monitoring of time away from phones- ex.-timed bathroom breaks.
    Based on the difficulty of specific work load cases, some quotas were not attainable.
    Terrible health insurance- Humana used their employees as guinea pigs to try out new insurance plans to see if they would do well with the general public.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees do not need to be micro-managed or treated as children. If you feel that an employee cannot do a job without constant monitoring, don't hire them.

High school

Item Entry EPOST SME (Current Employee) Glendale, AZ

ProsOvertime, pot lucks, the 2 bonuses we got, pto, the associates who tried to make a change, the associates that refused to cheat numbers though everyone else was, the associates who stood up for what's right and not lie and cheat like leadership for the numbers.

ConsLeadership was always fighting, gossiping, about each other. We always heard them... They never really worked. I wish they had to show what they accomplished each dat. That would be hilarious

Advice to Senior ManagementGet experienced leadership. Not ones that come around and talk badly about you as you are working. Or the supervisor that talks about how much money he has everyday in front of producers. It is awful and harassment. My last boss there talked about her boyfriend problems all day. Very inappropriate to about your boob job leadership. And your sex life. Learn your role or even what your associates do all day hike you gossip. I worked there for 4 years and am relieved to be out if that horrible environment. Don't call HR... They do retaliate. It happened to me.

Awful place

Clinical Advisor (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsHelping Medicare members meet personal goals.

ConsLifeSynch Humana Achieve
    Toxic work environment
    Low salary
    Added responsibility on an almost daily basis
    Metrics are more important than members' needs
    Degrading remarks from management
    Constant threats of termination
    After almost 8 years of employment, I was terminated for being accused of "not meeting their business needs". I chose to focus on my members' needs. Being terminated was a freeing experience. No more severe headaches, less chronic pain, no more anxiety, no more dirty looks from FLLs, & the depression has miraculously lifted. They are diligently firing anyone who has more than 5 years of service. Ethics have gone out the window. Established members are being ignored for the sake of more activations. They are getting rid of all Master level associates in order to hire Bachelor level people at lower salaries. All of the remaining Master level clinicians are moving to other departments or leaving the company at a rapid rate. This company needs to be investigated!

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider more open communication about the REAL priorities.

Healthcare Gap for Their Own Employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary was good, 401k good, tuition reimbursement good. With Humana it really depends on where in the company you land and who is in your management chain, some are very happy, some not.

ConsHumana talks a big game, but here are the facts, when people on here refer to great healthcare I have no idea what they are referring to, they only offer a lame HDHP, If you have a family with children and/ or pre-exisitng conditions, this is not going to be a good thing for you.

They also charge you extra if you do not take your spouses health insurance from another company (who does that?). They are also the only company I have worked for that charge their employees to access their corporate gym (really?), remind you this is a health insurance company, so please don't buy into their koolaid, their only goal is profits, (CEO Michael McCallister said in 2003) "It is important to note if we have to choose between achieving our membership goals and achieving profitability goals, profits will win every time,"

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have a team that has a 80% turnover every 3 years for 10 years, think maybe you might have a not so good manager running that team . just sayin!

Worked for Humana? Contribute to the Community!