Humana

Humana Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Humana President and CEO Bruce D. Broussard

Bruce D. Broussard

Pros:
  • "some positions have good flexibility on 'work from home'"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Good for college kids to get some experience not worrying about work/life balance"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work/life balance could be difficult at times, especially in the department I worked in"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Not to mention the AWEFUL health insurance that is more like a discount program"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company

Frontline Leader (Current Employee)
Miramar, FL

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits (except health insurance). Great people to work with. Nurses truly care about the members.

ConsManagement does not know their direct reports, communication is fragmented, performance evaluations are poorly done.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it mandatory to have quarterly skip level meetings. Incentivize your associates to retain in the department, truly mentor team and recognize good talent.

Great Company To Work For

Work Content Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay
Very Flexiable hours
Supportive management
Lots of chances to move up in the company
Work at home option for many jobs

ConsHard to get a management position
College degree is a plus, but it doesn't give you much of an advantage
The annual enrollment period causes many areas to have a hiring freeze, (As much as 9 months a year)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing. This is a company that truly does recognize associates that do great work.
Also, the hiring freeze is a big drawback.
That being said, I love work here!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good Employer, Complex Industry

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompensation, work/life balance, ability to work at home when necessary

ConsA lot of data but much of it conflicts with other data sources, difficult to find who has what, results in a lot of duplicated efforts

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify

Great depending on the area you are in

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUpper management has good vision

Conslower lever management not always qualified management material

Advice to Senior Managementdo 360 reviews to get a better picture , also hard to get an interview, much less another career opportunity

Humana is a great company to work for especially for long term career in mind

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 8 years

ProsDependable
Stable
Many career opportunities within Humana

ConsAdvancement within current role can be difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementMore consistent opportunities based on education and performance

decent work life balance

I have been working at Humana

Prosmany fantastic internal opportunities for current employees; enjoy the work-life balance.

Constoo much internal turnover. while there are great internal opportunities for current employees, it seems that a lot of knowledge and skills are quickly lost within the area. people move up and around quickly, but it makes it sometimes difficult when you're constantly having to educate people on processes.

Good benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Humana

Prosnice perks throughout the year

Consconstant restructuring of departments, limited job security

HORRIBLE PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Humana

ProsThe best reason is no doubt the pay. They pay very well but it comes at a cost.

ConsThey micro manage like nothing I have ever seen before all while offering horrible service to its members. They could care less about their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all the fresh of college managers you have and people with experience.

Worst Company Ever

Specialist (Current Employee)
Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere is nothing good about working here.

ConsBasically, they pay the workers very little and only pay management a decent wage. Who do not do anything and are very out of touch. They make excuses to never give raises like blaming the Affordable Care Act and that is uncertain times while turning record profits and promoting management and creating random non working management positions. They are completely out sourcing most jobs to India. They tend to promote external people instead of promoting within. They also demand insane overtime hours with very little time to leave your desk and are made to feel bad if you do. I have seen first hand also very sexist promoting standards that are completely blatant. Telling women with many years of experience that they are not qualified for the position but then promoting a man to the same position with less experience and the same degree. The sales reps are expected to do nothing and demand internal people do all of their work for them and are allowed to treat internal workers with hostility. Again, they pay workers terribly with very little if any raises. They have terrible insurance which you have to constantly battle with to get anything covered. We are talking for a family of 2 over $300 a month for $7000 MAX OUT OF POCKET. For someone who they pay $35,000 a year to. It is a well known fact in the Green Bay community that Humana does not allow you to retire there. They find ways to get rid of anyone over 50 after many years of service. It is sick and their practices border on blatantly illegal. they also fired a bunch of people for made up issues before outsourcing the jobs to India to avoid paying severance. SHAME

Advice to Senior ManagementUmmm lets see, we need so much less of you. Since my current team of 10 has 3 managers and every year I am told a raise is not in the budget. And none of them know anything or work.

Not bad but not good

Director (Former Employee)
San Juan, PR

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood infrastructure, good Corporate support, good work/life balance

ConsIf you are not Corporate or workin FL, then prepare to suffer...

Advice to Senior ManagementThe PR Market boasts that he is a "redneck" and certainly carries himself like that. This is a Fortune 100 company that looks to the other side, very sad!

Worked for Humana? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Humana reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Humana CEO Bruce D. Broussard. All 591 reviews posted anonymously by Humana employees.