Humana Reviews

Reset
1.6
Humana President and CEO Bruce D. Broussard
Bruce D. Broussard

Pros
  • Can work from home once in a while (in 52 reviews)

• Great company that understand your need for a good work-life balance (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a little hard to maintain (in 21 reviews)

• Terrible Health Insurance coverage (in 41 reviews)

Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Irving, TX

I have been working at Humana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent company culture, good manager that tries to push you forward and set you up for success, low stress, decent benefits.

Cons

Compensation is on the low end, how well management treats you is a bit of a dice-roll. Very difficult to expand or move up unless you have specific skills and know specific people

Advice to Management

Focus more on development, there are many non-salaried employees that will be stuck where they are forever.

2. Good Benefits....that's where the Good Ends

Former Employee - Failed Claims Pharmacy Technician in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Failed Claims Pharmacy Technician in Irving, TX

I worked at Humana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great insurance benefits and incentive to get healthier to get rewarded for it through higher HSA--- also known as Humana Vitality

Cons

Most micromanaged time-keeping I've ever seen. If you want to go to work in jail where all you do is monitored, then Humana is right for you. The miserable looks on the two Frontline Leaders (FLL) who hired me should have been a warning. Clocking in (which you do at your desk computer) at 8:01 or 8:03 when your shift starts at 8:00 is considered half an occurrence. Occurrences account toward your break and lunch times too which are monitored to the minute. Three occurrences within a rolling 90 day period may get you a coaching, or terminated. HOWEVER, its at the discretion of the FLL whether to count it against you or not. ---This is the first thing I do not agree with because its all based on favoritism. Second, an unscheduled absence like a visit to the ER which happened in my case, counts as one occurrence. I received three occurrences, one of them being my visit to the ER and clocking in at 8:03. You've been warned. I wish I had been warned by the gaunt look of miserableness on the FLL (basically supervisors). I'm so glad I was terminated. Hadn't been there for long and on my 2nd week there I was already dreading going to work. Another warning.

Advice to Management

Stop favoritism and if you're really going to practice "wellness", do not count going to the ER or the hospital due to an emergency against someone. Or even if its a doctor's appointment, don't force people to use their PTO just to go to an appointment. One day your practice of coercing people to go to work sick will come back to haunt you when the entire floor has been exposed to a serious virus or infection.

Be Prepared

Former Employee - Order Entry Clerk in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Order Entry Clerk in Irving, TX

I worked at Humana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A Paycheck, the few friends you make, and that is about it. If you need a job, take it - otherwise, RUN, RUN, RUN!!

Cons

Constantly monitoring every little thing you are doing. If you have too much 'idle' time, they will question you down to if you were in the bathroom. Ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Get your act together, stop micromanaging the petty things and look at the bigger things such as people sleeping and not getting any productivity done.

The Irving facility is the worse.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Customer Care in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Customer Care in Irving, TX

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits were decent. Pto is accumulated by 7.5 hrs every check

Cons

Front line leaders are chosen purely on metrics not for their leadership skills. Which results in supervisor who lack the ability to be a successful team leader. They are immature and unprofessional and will lie to your face before researching the correct answer. Don't believe anything they tell you in training because once you get on the floor it's completely different. If you are one min late it's an occurrence. After 5 occurrences you are fired. However, if your FLL likes you then they will waive whether or not they will write you up. Random 3+ hours of overtime will be added to your schedule without you being aware, and if you don't show up you will get an occurrence. Back to back phone calls with no room in between calls. Have a ridiculously un customer centered Qa grading system. Ex: if you take a call and the member has an email on the main page but not in the second tab. You will automatically fail the call for not transferring it from on screen to the next. You can fail a call for " not sounding empathetic enough". Did not get actual schedule until out of training. In the interview I was told my several managers that I will be working Mon-Fri with rotating Saturday shifts. That is false because everyone in my training class works every Saturday. When there was a snow storm and all the roads were closed they shut down the building next door (which is the same company, they just do more outbound calls) and left ours open, which is understandable however, given the fact that the roads by my house were closed I could not get to work and was forced to used pto hours if I didn't come in. I have so many more cons you would have to work there to truly understand.

Advice to Management

Put people in positions of leadership that will not allow their direct emotions or opinions of an individual dictate how they treat them. Just because they have perfect metrics does not equal an effective leader it just means you have taught them to be a robot. Look at your turnover rate that should tell you a lot about how your employees really feel about working there. You claim to be a company that supports health an wellness, yet your employees are only allowed 60 min of bathroom time a month. That is only 3 min per shift and it takes 2 min just to get to the bathroom! Last time I checked the average person goes 5-7 times during the day. It is very similar to legalized slave labor.

bad management

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Irving, TX

I have been working at Humana (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is not that bad

Cons

Managers are horrible and unorganized

Advice to Management

Be more professional and organized

Worst company I have ever worked for in the last 7 yrs of employment history.

Former Employee - Clinical Advocate in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Clinical Advocate in Irving, TX

Pros

only one pro: higher salary for individuals with psychology background than other mental health agencies. Ok one more: they give u 2 hrs off for doctors appointments which won't use your pto.

Cons

1. Cannot take pto which U earn for 2 hrs or half day. Pto has to always b taken as an 8 hr day. 2. No clear directions, no job satisfaction, job requirements change monthly. More is added to your workload and nothing is taken off. 3. They tell u u can work from home in 3-6 months to hire you, do not give u a clear picture of your role or job expectations to meet before u can apply for it. Their it dept is back logged n u have to wait 2 months for equipment after applying+ the chances are u will not be able to accomplish job expectations thereby u will not be approved to work from home. 4. They micromanage: u need to key in codes in your phone to begin , end your day. U need to key in codes on the phone to use the restroom as well. Fun huh? They also monitor if u have been off a phone call for more than 15 minutes and u get a message and have to answer to a manager. 5. If you take a day off or if the office closes due to weather job expectation and targets stays the same even if it's a shorter week. 6. If you are not approved to work from home and the office building closed due to weather u are still expected to work from home using your own phone n computer if you can. :) no day off! 7. They do not care about members needs. U cannot assist Members/ clients for too long. It's more about meeting the numbers. However u are also expected to be empathetic to members and are audited frequently and need a score of 90+. 8. U will always hear negative feedback even if you have improved in your numbers./ scores.

Advice to Management

This review is for lifesynch Humana where I was employed as a clinical advocate. Management is comprised of individuals who were in ur role years ago and had much easier job requirements. You will not interact with upper management. The front line leads have no backbone and are simply relaying what their managers expect. Job expectations are unachievable. Management needs to start helping employees by giving them realistic job expectations or telling them how they can achieve all requirements. Management also needs to stop emailing you about changes in job expectation instead of explaining and communicating to you in person.

An environment of untrustworthy individuals that are allowed to mistreat people and get away with it.

Former Employee - Clinical Advisor in Irving, TX

I worked at Humana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The medical benefits are fair and they allow you to work at home.

Cons

No professional growth, no work life balance. Long hours that your are not compensated for but expected to take on more work.

Advice to Management

Clear and concise directions, remaining with one idea and not changing the rules every week.

9. I was an Administrative Assistant/Receptionist. General duties included answering multi line phone, patient files, type

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Irving, TX

I worked at Humana full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the position because I enjoy meeting people. This position gave me the opportunity to enjoy a diverse group of employees. Also, the benefits were great. I was a fill in for the Executive Admin.Assistant to the CEO when she was on vacation, etc. I learned a great deal about the insurance industry and in particular about the Behavioral Health insurance industry.

Cons

When I began to work for them as a temp in July 2007, we were a small group. In 2008 I was hired as a direct employee and Humana bought out our small company called CorpHealth. Many changes occurred including moving our office from downtown Fort Worth to Las Colinas. It was a very long drive for me because I lived in Cleburne. But I still wanted to keep that job, so I drove over one hour each way daily.

Advice to Management

Of course there were a lot of management changes, as there will anytime a major industry occurs. Many of our top VIP retired early. Also, Humana's main office is in St. Louis KY. A great many job were consolidated and sent there. But I believe change can be good, at least it was in this case.

Awful place

Former Employee - Clinical Advisor in Irving, TX

I worked at Humana full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping Medicare members meet personal goals.

Cons

LifeSynch Humana Achieve Toxic work environment Low salary Added responsibility on an almost daily basis Metrics are more important than members' needs Degrading remarks from management Constant threats of termination After almost 8 years of employment, I was terminated for being accused of "not meeting their business needs". I chose to focus on my members' needs. Being terminated was a freeing experience. No more severe headaches, less chronic pain, no more anxiety, no more dirty looks from FLLs, & the depression has miraculously lifted. They are diligently firing anyone who has more than 5 years of service. Ethics have gone out the window. Established members are being ignored for the sake of more activations. They are getting rid of all Master level associates in order to hire Bachelor level people at lower salaries. All of the remaining Master level clinicians are moving to other departments or leaving the company at a rapid rate. This company needs to be investigated!

Advice to Management

Consider more open communication about the REAL priorities.

Poor hiring process

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Irving, TX

I have been working at Humana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Decent hours. Competitive pay

Cons

Deception & favoritism everywhere. Performance means nothing bc it's really all about who you know. Terrible hiring process. People do not get a fair chance when they apply for a job. System is old & antiquated.

Advice to Management

Get rid of management at Irving TX location & hire new people ASAP since they use race as a factor when hiring!

Showing 12 of 1,209 reviews