Humana Reviews in Irving, TX

Updated August 3, 2014

3.2

Humana President and CEO Bruce D. Broussard
Bruce D. Broussard

Pros
  • work from home opportunities and can grow from within when others leave (in 41 reviews)

• many fantastic internal opportunities for current employees; enjoy the work-life balance (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Sad that a health insurance company does not take car of its own employees (in 40 reviews)

• Work/life balance can be a little hard to maintain (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I was an Administrative Assistant/Receptionist. General duties included answering multi line phone, patient files, type

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Irving, TX

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I enjoyed the position because I enjoy meeting people. This position gave me the opportunity to enjoy a diverse group of employees. Also, the benefits were great. I was a fill in for the Executive Admin.Assistant to the CEO when she was on vacation, etc. I learned a great deal about the insurance industry and in particular about the Behavioral Health insurance industry.

Cons

When I began to work for them as a temp in July 2007, we were a small group. In 2008 I was hired as a direct employee and Humana bought out our small company called CorpHealth. Many changes occurred including moving our office from downtown Fort Worth to Las Colinas. It was a very long drive for me because I lived in Cleburne. But I still wanted to keep that job, so I drove over one hour each way daily.

Of course there were a lot of management changes, as there will anytime a major industry occurs. Many of our top VIP retired early. Also, Humana's main office is in St. Louis KY. A great many job were consolidated and sent there. But I believe change can be good, at least it was in this case.

Awful place

Former Employee - Clinical Advisor  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Clinical Advisor in Irving, TX

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Helping Medicare members meet personal goals.

Cons

LifeSynch Humana Achieve
    Toxic work environment
    Low salary
    Added responsibility on an almost daily basis
    Metrics are more important than members' needs
    Degrading remarks from management
    Constant threats of termination
    After almost 8 years of employment, I was terminated for being accused of "not meeting their business needs". I chose to focus on my members' needs. Being terminated was a freeing experience. No more severe headaches, less chronic pain, no more anxiety, no more dirty looks from FLLs, & the depression has miraculously lifted. They are diligently firing anyone who has more than 5 years of service. Ethics have gone out the window. Established members are being ignored for the sake of more activations. They are getting rid of all Master level associates in order to hire Bachelor level people at lower salaries. All of the remaining Master level clinicians are moving to other departments or leaving the company at a rapid rate. This company needs to be investigated!

Consider more open communication about the REAL priorities.

Poor hiring process

Current Employee - Pharmacist  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Irving, TX

I have been working at Humana full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits. Decent hours. Competitive pay

Cons

Deception & favoritism everywhere. Performance means nothing bc it's really all about who you know. Terrible hiring process. People do not get a fair chance when they apply for a job. System is old & antiquated.

Get rid of management at Irving TX location & hire new people ASAP since they use race as a factor when hiring!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointing

Former Employee - Claims Specialist  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Irving, TX

I worked at Humana full-time for less than a year

Pros

Able 2 work frm hm

Cons

No structured claims detailed training

Get decent training

The guys at the top mean well - but, wow.... it gets lost (badly) down in the ranks

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than a year

Pros

vacation time is generous; lots of programs to improve health; C level leadership appears to try hard to make it a good place.

Cons

(this may depend on location)... lower/middle management gets waaaay to much into your personal life (breaking the law, actually). This creates a catty, nasty, unprofessional environment with a lot of back-biting. Unbelievably - the health insurance is the worst I've seen in 30 years of various employers.

Mr. CEO - you need an HONEST take on your company from folks that come in from the outside. My entire team is disenfranchised and just sees it as a job (to try to get out of).

Worked for Humana? Contribute to the Community!