Humana Reviews

• Irving, TX
1.4
Humana President and CEO Bruce D. Broussard
Bruce D. Broussard

1. An environment of untrustworthy individuals that are allowed to mistreat people and get away with it.

Former Employee - Clinical Advisor in Irving, TX

I worked at Humana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The medical benefits are fair and they allow you to work at home.

Cons

No professional growth, no work life balance. Long hours that your are not compensated for but expected to take on more work.

Advice to Management

Clear and concise directions, remaining with one idea and not changing the rules every week.

Worst company I have ever worked for in the last 7 yrs of employment history.

Former Employee - Clinical Advocate in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Clinical Advocate in Irving, TX

I worked at Humana

Pros

only one pro: higher salary for individuals with psychology background than other mental health agencies.
    Ok one more: they give u 2 hrs off for doctors appointments which won't use your pto.

Cons

1. Cannot take pto which U earn for 2 hrs or half day. Pto has to always b taken as an 8 hr day.
    2. No clear directions, no job satisfaction, job requirements change monthly. More is added to your workload and nothing is taken off.
    3. They tell u u can work from home in 3-6 months to hire you, do not give u a clear picture of your role or job expectations to meet before u can apply for it. Their it dept is back logged n u have to wait 2 months for equipment after applying+ the chances are u will not be able to accomplish job expectations thereby u will not be approved to work from home.
    4. They micromanage: u need to key in codes in your phone to begin , end your day. U need to key in codes on the phone to use the restroom as well. Fun huh? They also monitor if u have been off a phone call for more than 15 minutes and u get a message and have to answer to a manager.
    5. If you take a day off or if the office closes due to weather job expectation and targets stays the same even if it's a shorter week.
    6. If you are not approved to work from home and the office building closed due to weather u are still expected to work from home using your own phone n computer if you can. :) no day off!
    7. They do not care about members needs. U cannot assist Members/ clients for too long. It's more about meeting the numbers. However u are also expected to be empathetic to members and are audited frequently and need a score of 90+.
    8. U will always hear negative feedback even if you have improved in your numbers./ scores.

Advice to Management

This review is for lifesynch Humana where I was employed as a clinical advocate. Management is comprised of individuals who were in ur role years ago and had much easier job requirements. You will not interact with upper management. The front line leads have no backbone and are simply relaying what their managers expect. Job expectations are unachievable. Management needs to start helping employees by giving them realistic job expectations or telling them how they can achieve all requirements. Management also needs to stop emailing you about changes in job expectation instead of explaining and communicating to you in person.

3. I was an Administrative Assistant/Receptionist. General duties included answering multi line phone, patient files, type

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Irving, TX

I worked at Humana full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the position because I enjoy meeting people. This position gave me the opportunity to enjoy a diverse group of employees. Also, the benefits were great. I was a fill in for the Executive Admin.Assistant to the CEO when she was on vacation, etc. I learned a great deal about the insurance industry and in particular about the Behavioral Health insurance industry.

Cons

When I began to work for them as a temp in July 2007, we were a small group. In 2008 I was hired as a direct employee and Humana bought out our small company called CorpHealth. Many changes occurred including moving our office from downtown Fort Worth to Las Colinas. It was a very long drive for me because I lived in Cleburne. But I still wanted to keep that job, so I drove over one hour each way daily.

Advice to Management

Of course there were a lot of management changes, as there will anytime a major industry occurs. Many of our top VIP retired early. Also, Humana's main office is in St. Louis KY. A great many job were consolidated and sent there. But I believe change can be good, at least it was in this case.

Awful place

Former Employee - Clinical Advisor in Irving, TX

I worked at Humana full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping Medicare members meet personal goals.

Cons

LifeSynch Humana Achieve
    Toxic work environment
    Low salary
    Added responsibility on an almost daily basis
    Metrics are more important than members' needs
    Degrading remarks from management
    Constant threats of termination
    After almost 8 years of employment, I was terminated for being accused of "not meeting their business needs". I chose to focus on my members' needs. Being terminated was a freeing experience. No more severe headaches, less chronic pain, no more anxiety, no more dirty looks from FLLs, & the depression has miraculously lifted. They are diligently firing anyone who has more than 5 years of service. Ethics have gone out the window. Established members are being ignored for the sake of more activations. They are getting rid of all Master level associates in order to hire Bachelor level people at lower salaries. All of the remaining Master level clinicians are moving to other departments or leaving the company at a rapid rate. This company needs to be investigated!

Advice to Management

Consider more open communication about the REAL priorities.

Poor hiring process

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Irving, TX

I have been working at Humana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Decent hours. Competitive pay

Cons

Deception & favoritism everywhere. Performance means nothing bc it's really all about who you know. Terrible hiring process. People do not get a fair chance when they apply for a job. System is old & antiquated.

Advice to Management

Get rid of management at Irving TX location & hire new people ASAP since they use race as a factor when hiring!

7. Disappointing

Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist in Irving, TX

I worked at Humana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Able 2 work frm hm

Cons

No structured claims detailed training

Advice to Management

Get decent training

8. The guys at the top mean well - but, wow.... it gets lost (badly) down in the ranks

Current Employee - Project Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at Humana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

vacation time is generous; lots of programs to improve health; C level leadership appears to try hard to make it a good place.

Cons

(this may depend on location)... lower/middle management gets waaaay to much into your personal life (breaking the law, actually). This creates a catty, nasty, unprofessional environment with a lot of back-biting. Unbelievably - the health insurance is the worst I've seen in 30 years of various employers.

Advice to Management

Mr. CEO - you need an HONEST take on your company from folks that come in from the outside. My entire team is disenfranchised and just sees it as a job (to try to get out of).