Humana Reviews

1. Finance/Accounting intern at Humana

Former Employee - Intern in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Intern in Louisville, KY

I worked at Humana

Pros

Laid back culture, Flexible scheduling, Good pay

Cons

Tedious work, Limited learning opportunities

More communication with the direction of the business

Great summer internship

Former Intern - Infusion in Louisville, KY
    Former Intern - Infusion in Louisville, KY

I worked at Humana as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Humana puts a lot of resources and training into its interns. If you want to meet with managers in other areas of the company, it's easy to get their attention and set a meeting. I got to see a lot of different parts of the company, and if there was a new skill or software I needed to learn to do my job, it felt like there was always a class for it. I learned a lot here. Work-life balance was really strong; I didn't see a lot of people in my area working late hours.

Cons

It's hard for me to find any issues with my internship experience. I felt that I wasn't overworked but was challenged, compensation was fair, and I could take time off when needed.

I think everything was good. It's a fairly forward-thinking place undergoing a leadership transition and it isn't afraid of change. Keep it up.

3. Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Louisville, KY

I worked at Humana

Pros

Best organization I have work for.

Cons

Louisville, KY centered organization. It is changing to work agile as collaboratively.

Keep up the great work!!

5. Impressive Company

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Organized
    Great HR
    High tech
    Working at home
    Easy to move around or upward
    Emphasis on healthy living
    Nice buildings/atmosphere

Cons

Lots of OT required at times
    1 year minimum before moving to another position
    High deductible insurance plans
    Lots of changes in processes

Perfect processes to make associates job easier and more efficient.

6. Very flexible and manageable with school, but not challenging enough

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Louisville, KY
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Humana as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, great pay, friendly environment

Cons

not challenging, felt like more IT work than finance

Have the interns get more involved with the rest of the team, rather than giving them side-work.

7. Fantastic place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Incredible flexibility regarding work from home and PTO. Benefits are outstanding. Management 110% believes in their mission statement, and employees follow suit. Never been involved in an organization with as much "all in" spirit as Huama. Involved in endless community and healthy living activities. Other companies talk about their commitment to their mission, Humana really lives it.

Cons

BIG BIG BIG. HUGE Company, nearly impossible to know every facet of the business. (Although creates a lot of opportunities to move around). Health insurance isn't the most exciting field in the world to be in compared to other industries.

Appreciate the employee flexibility, and the commitment to lifelong health.

8. Good pay

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Humana

Pros

There benefits and pay are good. They are flexible of dr appointments and working from home.

Cons

Long hours and weekends are expected and are not compensated back. Pay increases are not guaranteed.

Set realistic goals for projects on the IT side to avoid burnout of your people.

Not worth putting your heart into but it might be worth the paycheck for you.

Former Employee - Applications Consultant in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Applications Consultant in Louisville, KY

I worked at Humana

Pros

The kitchen in the cooperate tower has great healthy food at a great price. The gym memberships are also a great value if you use them. It's a decent job if you don't value your life or what you do for a living.

Cons

It seemed to me that most people working at Humana spent 80% of their day covering their rear end and 20% working. It was amazing the lengths people went to in order to not be responsible for anything. And as such, if you needed help from any other department at Humana, it was like pulling teeth to get it done. A couple times while I was there I asked another team to do something and heard back a year and a half later when it started showing bad on their automated reports.
    And a word to the wize... they will try to screw you out of some money in your offer letter. Check the math, it's always wrong.

Expanding and Transforming Company with Solid Executive Leadership

Current Employee - Program Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Opportunity to work in an environment that is transforming
    - 'Noble' work to support our members
    - Investment in Associates and their development
    - CEO and Management Team have developed a compelling Vision and the workplace is more open to 'bringing your entire self' to work through the Network Resource Groups and policies that support Associates
    - You will NEVER be bored if you choose to be responsible for your career, many opportunities

Cons

- Overwhelming amount of work and resources need to be balanced
    - Some leadership is a decade behind in their approach to leading and working (they haven't caught up with the Senior Executives)
    - Pay is stagnant; however, it is also at the high-end in the region, and bonuses can make up for that based on role
    - Highly regulated environment so be prepared to have the mindset to work through those challenges

- Continue to live and expand on the importance of the Values
    - Continue to focus on the member - we have made great progress, but can't lose sight of those whom we serve
    - Set higher expectations for leaders to lead and not be promoted because they know the job inside and out
    - Look at flight risks - the war for talent is gearing up and you could lose tremendous talent over time

Good Company, The're are good departments! Stay where you are if you find the right one.

Current Employee - Analyst in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, co-workers are good people, reliable and willing to help you. Time-off- PTO works well and easy to use. You can really thrive under the right management.

Cons

Promotions and moving within company are almost non existent if you do not know the right people. Sadly, experience or qualifications are rarely acknowledged. Also true that management eventually pushes out people that aren't in the inner circle for those that are. Additional training in some departments may be mentioned, but not encouraged.

Humana Inc., management (I mean directors and above) need to practice what they preach and get to know employees below them. Walk down the aisles around you and talk to everyday analyst, specialist. A title shouldn't be handed out just to help micromanage and stop wasting time with soo many pointless meetings. Take the example of Humana Government Business. Know your people and use their skills. Quantity of employees or productivity isn't as important as quality of work or experience of employees. Take a close look at departments with low employee ratings. Maybe stop replacing the low level employees and look at the management that is over those people.