Humana

Updated January 29, 2015
3.2

Humana President and CEO Bruce D. Broussard
Bruce D. Broussard

Pros
  • work from home opportunities and can grow from within when others leave (in 52 reviews)

• many fantastic internal opportunities for current employees; enjoy the work-life balance (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance could be difficult at times, especially in the department I worked in (in 21 reviews)

• Health insurance benefits offered to its own employees could be definitely better (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company, The're are good departments! Stay where you are if you find the right one.

Current Employee - Analyst in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, co-workers are good people, reliable and willing to help you. Time-off- PTO works well and easy to use. You can really thrive under the right management.

Cons

Promotions and moving within company are almost non existent if you do not know the right people. Sadly, experience or qualifications are rarely acknowledged. Also true that management eventually pushes out people that aren't in the inner circle for those that are. Additional training in some departments may be mentioned, but not encouraged.

Humana Inc., management (I mean directors and above) need to practice what they preach and get to know employees below them. Walk down the aisles around you and talk to everyday analyst, specialist. A title shouldn't be handed out just to help micromanage and stop wasting time with soo many pointless meetings. Take the example of Humana Government Business. Know your people and use their skills. Quantity of employees or productivity isn't as important as quality of work or experience of employees. Take a close look at departments with low employee ratings. Maybe stop replacing the low level employees and look at the management that is over those people.

Best company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Dental Claims Specialist in De Pere, WI
    Current Employee - Dental Claims Specialist in De Pere, WI

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Endless room for professional growth. Amazing benefits - medical, dental, 401k. Company inspires well-being. Flexible hours. Work at home. Great pay and generous vacation hours.

Cons

There are no cons to working at Humana. I have nothing but positive things to say. I would recommend Humana as an employer to family and friends.

Attitude and initiative is everything

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Humana

Pros

Pay. Advancement for those with the right outlook and level of initiative. Training available for other roles and growth. Growing quickly so lots of opportunities for new jobs. Good culture, really tries to keep staff happy and healthy. New CEO is awesome.

Cons

Tech playing catch up and IT sometimes drags feet. Health coverage should be better. Holds on to poor performers too long.

Get IT some help. Part ways with dead weight, including leaders. More diverse health plans.

Clinical advisor

Former Employee - Clinical Advisor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Clinical Advisor in Columbus, OH

I worked at Humana full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work from home and work/life balance.

Cons

Favoritism exists. Who likes you bs hard work is what will get you to the next level.

Treat everyone fairly and equally.

Business Consultant

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance
    Work Autonomy
    People & Culture

Cons

Advancement Opportunity
    Pay not in line with industry

I have had a great experience working at Humana. The company is leading the way in changing the focus of healthcare!

Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Humana full-time

Pros

Great focus on well-being. In my area, we are allowed extra time throughout the week to do something for our well-being, whether it be emotional, physical, financial, or otherwise! Humana also just started a volunteer incentive that gives us extra paid time off to volunteer!

Cons

The one thing that I wish was better is the medical benefit. I wish we had better options, one that wasn't a deductible plan.

I am glad I work here

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Humana (more than a year)

Pros

Puts their money where their mouth is for company values. Encourage employee wellness and work/life balance. I like having an employee credit card instead of having to spend my own money and expense it. I like working from home. I think the benefits are very good. I think the company is run professionally and has the expectation that employees behave professionally and at a high standard. I feel that the associates I have seen hired are high quality.

Cons

This is a large organization with a lot of legal and regulatory considerations. Therefore, decisions for change are slow. I don't feel that my ideas would necessarily be up for consideration. I do feel like a cog in the wheel vs. a creative part of the organization. Sometimes it is so "corporate" that it feels intimidating.

Right now I have no advice.

Sometimes too good to be true

Current Employee - Right Source Specialty Pharmacy in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Right Source Specialty Pharmacy in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Humana full-time

Pros

-Even though we have mandatory overtime, we feel appreciated and like we are important to the team success.
    - There are a lot of perks to get healthy or stay healthy. I have never been so encouraged by an employer to take care of myself.
    - Supervisors are more then willing to take time to discuss issues with you. If you feel like you don't understand something, someone will help you.
    - My co-workers are amazing. Everyone takes time to smile and say hi everyday. We encourage each other and can turn to each other when help is needed.

Cons

- Attendance is very very strict. You can get fired for poor attendence no matter how your performance is. It is easy to ask for a day off. You can't be late all the time and you need to stay on schedule as closely as possible. Being rude to customers and poor attendance will get you fired very quickly.

Keep up the work in Right Source Specialty Pharmacy. Thanks for being great leaders

Great Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Digital Strategist
    Current Employee - Digital Strategist

I have been working at Humana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance
    Great facilities
    Average Pay

Cons

Large Corp - slow to make decisions
    Silos
    Politics

LTE enrollment

I worked at Humana

Pros

Provided opportunity to get foot in the door with a big company.

Cons

Lots of politics and games especially when it came to vying for a full time position.