Humana

Humana Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Humana President and CEO Bruce D. Broussard

Bruce D. Broussard

Pros:
  • "some positions have good flexibility on 'work from home'"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Good for college kids to get some experience not worrying about work/life balance"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work/life balance could be difficult at times, especially in the department I worked in"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Not to mention the AWEFUL health insurance that is more like a discount program"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good stepping stone, but not a career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHumana has great products and are ahead of the curve with Wellness Capabilities, so its a great place to begin your career in health insurance. They support more flexible work schedules. They approach business in a team model, which provides more support and interaction among co-workers. HumanaVitality is a great program and a huge perk for employees.

ConsThey do not take care of their employees. The benefits are not good for a health insurance company. Your development track depends on who likes you in Management and not your talents and contributions. They are not good at communicating internally and that can cause frustration and inefficiencies in your job. Management does not seem very supportive or understanding of the people in the day to day positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to support your employees better. There are no true perks for working at Humana from benefits to career advancement. Listen to what they are saying in your employee surveys.

Humana has been good to me

Business Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company, depending on the department you work in. Very flexible in terms of hours. I know people who have not had much success while working for this company and I also know people who love this company. I happen to love it! I know I can leave and make about 20% more salary but I've learned a lot while working here and I also enjoy the flexibility.

ConsIf possible, know the fair market price for the role you are going after, make sure you stick firm to your asking starting salary. Most years I do get a raise but it's not much.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just talk the talk but walk the walk.

Disorganized

TeleSale Miramar (Direct Market Sales, Phone) (Former Employee)
Miramar, FL

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent salary, good people to work with, good opportunities for overtime when busy. Good company if you just want to settle.

ConsNo room for advancement. Unfair way of distributing leads to employees. Horrible benefits with very high deductibles. Management are a bunch of idiots who are reactive rather than proactive who only look good because of driven employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider replacing yourselves with competent people who know what to do that will foster an atmosphere of success that will be shared with all employees.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Depends on your coach if you'll enjoy the job or not.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Humana

ProsDecent pay, great co-workers, decent bennies.

ConsStressful, metrics get changed weekly if not daily without any explanation.

Claim Specialist

Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIncome, Income, Income, Advancement opportunities!

ConsUnprofessional environment.
Inappropriate dress code for a business of it's stature.
High school level conversation amount employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ask, don't tell!
Some things should stay at home!
Things you shouldn't talk about at work Politics, Religion, Sexual orientation!
When business casual went out the door so did some of Humana's respectability!

Great People and a lot of flexibility!

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people, very flexible work schedule, decent pay and benefits. The ability to change departments and move up is high.

ConsStarting to outsource jobs to other countries.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost are doing a decent job and really know there stuff.

Great company, bad department.

Medicare Grievance Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexibility, great personal insurance for single person, good amenities. Humana takes good care of their employees as a whole. It is a good place to begin a job and make a career. The company offers a lot of employee perks and are concerned with our personal well being.

ConsMy direct Department management is poor and the department environment is mundane. We are often overworked and overlooked and management doesn't seem to be knowledgeable of what each specialists does.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider discussing office culture, training leadership on how to be efficient and better leaders. Team supervisors lack the ability to effectively lead and upper management is unaware of our specific job processes and what we actually do.

Great place to work!

Technology Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of room for advancement. There are opportunities to advance your career at every turn.

ConsBenefits (health insurance) is not that great.

Great Company

I have been working at Humana

ProsGreat company, good benefits, easy to move around within company

ConsCurrent management within my department is sub-par

This company really walks the walk

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Humana full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA culture that focuses on well-being, strong sense of purpose, high employee engagement, flexible work schedules, positive team culture, generous benefits. Overall, it is a great place to work.

ConsMy impression is that salaries for associates who rise within the ranks of the company tend to be on the low side. One gets the feeling that they are being taken advantage of. Promotions, even large increases in responsibility, rarely come with greater than 8-10% increase in salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the way that you reward your top talent. I say this to you because I care. I really love this company.
As a very productive and driven worker who knows that they are getting paid under market value, please hear me when I say this...You do not want your talented and engaged workers to think that they have to leave the company in order to get paid fairly. Loosen the purse strings a little for your top talent and you will make it back ten fold.
A good company culture makes Humana an awesome place to work. But, at the end of the day, we work in exchange for money and a good standard of living. If a top producing employee starts to realize that they can get paid significantly more if they just move to another company, Humana's culture may not be enough to keep them.

Worked for Humana? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Humana reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Humana CEO Bruce D. Broussard. All 591 reviews posted anonymously by Humana employees.