Humanscale Reviews

3.7

Bob King

Great Career Starter and way to develop your skills

I have been working at Humanscale full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Humanscale has the best products in the industry. Great sales training and managers to help you grow your sales skills and career. Humanscale has a great work life balance once you get your business up and running. It is a great opportunity to really develop your skill set with the different presentations, meetings and fires you deal with on a daily basis. It is a very dynamic and often challenging selling environment which is priceless experience.

Cons

Learning the industry, products and how to deal with others in the market can take time to get your business and sales up and running.. Humanscale is working on promoting from within but has its opportunity challenges at times for development. Often management will role out products to the industry before they are ready to ship without delays. The factory is a work in progress which can be a constant struggle when dealing with miss shipments and issues not delivering product to clients on time. I would like to hope the factory is getting better, but I still see the same issues of back orders on products on a regular basis.

Developing a structured career path and expectations for sales reps can help them develop their career. The "keep doing what your are doing" or "continue to hit your numbers" can be deflating at times when not knowing the direction you can potentially go within the organization.

A company yet to reach its potential

I have been working at Humanscale full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Humanscale has some great people, both in terms of talent and personality. Humanscale also has a huge amount of potential, and could become a great company. Its ergonomic message and product line are its best strength, as confirmed by the company's rapid growth; the products really do improve people's work life, and live up to the company claim of "creating a more comfortable place to work."

For most there are opportunities for career development through training and increasing responsibilities. Depending on your role, your work can be interesting and enjoyable. The company can also be relatively flexible with regard to work/life balance, although that probably depends mostly on who your direct manager is.

However, there is an underlying feeling that the company could be so much more.

If you're willing to look past the company's shortcomings, it is certainly possible to have a challenging and rewarding career here, as people who have been around for many years would surely agree.

Cons

As Humanscale has grown the company's structure and processes have not kept pace with the demands of increasing output. There are very few processes in place, which at times is a benefit (it allows the company to be quite agile compared to most companies of this size), but a lot of the time leads to poor collaboration between departments and a sense of not knowing the "right" way to do things.

The business strategy and decision making is often very reactive and tends to change direction quite frequently. While executive management may have an abstract vision of where they see the company heading, this rarely translates to real world deliverables that can be executed in the short, medium and longer term in order to ultimately achieve the goal. Decisions and plans made by middle-management in pursuit of the long term vision can be, and often are, overruled or sidelined by executive management in the pursuit of a more immediate goal.

It's hard to generalize, but a reasonable number of people feel they are underpaid, either compared to co-workers or relative to what they could be earning elsewhere. As a result, good people leave, and it seems like the company doesn't make much effort to persuade them to stay, assuming they can be easily replaced, which is not always the case.

The CEO's primary aim is to grow the company. That's great, but only for the very few people financially invested in the company. For everyone else, there needs to be more of an incentive to go the extra mile needed to make the company great. People need to feel more valued: salaries and raises should be a product of the success of the company and personal achievement and not "what is average in the industry", and executive management should take more time to listen to, understand, and act on the advice and ideas of employees who are often experts in their field.

In the past, the dynamic nature and rapid expansion of the company both domestically and globally has inspired a sense of loyalty to Humanscale. As the company matures, it must do more than rely on this sense of comradeship to sustain and build upon its success so far.

Sales driven organization, invested in providing the resources and development for professional growth and success!

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Humanscale full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Humanscale truly manufactures best in class products. If you are willing to work hard and take pride in what you do, the products and message behind them will perfectly complement a strong work ethic and commitment to make a difference. The quality and innovation of Humanscale products is clearly present in all solutions that are offered, and you can confidently believe in the impact they will make on health and well being. The leadership is vested in the employees of this company and while you will definitely be challenged, you are provided the necessary resources to learn, grow, and thrive in your career here. Career advancement is performance based, and there are opportunities to advance through a multitude of channels when you show you can make an impact.

Cons

There are a numerous initiatives that are managed to provide insight into all areas of the business. At times, the focus seems to be placed in the wrong areas, or with too broad of a scope to impact effective change.

The commitment Humanscale leadership has made to providing resources and operational support through robust growth is clear. Please keep that focus and continue to leverage efficiency in all areas of the business (sales, operations, customer service, systems).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

More than I ever could have expected

I have been working at Humanscale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Humanscale has the best products, the best story behind the design of their products, and the best people in the industry. Advancement opportunities are based on performance rather than tenure and create great growth opportunities for those who are driven to succeed.

Cons

Like most fast growing companies, it can be difficult for operations to keep up with sales. Recent changes have helped greatly in this area.

Keep doing what you are doing. Keep focusing on designing and bringing the best products to market and allowing growth opportunities for your most talented people.

Opportunity for Growth

I have been working at Humanscale full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you're looking for a place to grow your sales career this is a great place to work. There are many advancement paths employees can take depending on their skill set and ambitions. Products are superior than anything on the market.

Cons

As a growing manufacturer, there are some challenges with product delays and meeting customer expectations. However, there has been tremendous improvements made over the past year in this area

Continue the focus of promoting from within the organization. There are a lot of talented, hard working people in the organization that deserve that next opportunity.

Employed for 3 years

Current Employee - Sales  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Humanscale full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Humanscale is a dynamic, aggressive company with the best ergonomic products, hands-down. The solutions we provide allow for a wide range of potential clients, and the ability we have to consult and bring knowledge to the market really differentiates us from any competition.

Cons

The operations side of the organization has not kept up with the sales side, and often the production cannot keep up with the demand. Also, the very aggressive approach that we as the sales team take can sometimes intimidate dealer partners in the market.

Continue your aggressive approach to winning business, but be open to bringing in leadership that is from outside the organization. This will avoid the 'This is how we've always done it.' view and help the organization continue to grow.

5+ year employee

I have been working at Humanscale full-time

Pros

At Humanscale you'll work for an industry leader in design and get a chance to work with some the sharpest people in the industry. For new employees they offer a training program that, along with your managers, will set you up to succeed. In my time at Humanscale I've seen several of my colleagues leave, but I think the true indicator of the working environment at Humanscale is that many of those people who left have at one time shown interest in returning. I have referred some of my close friends to open positions with Humanscale.

Cons

I've heard concern that the career advancement process is unclear, but if you're successful and ambitious there will be plenty of opportunities.
    In my opinion, the factory/sales communication has been Humanscale's biggest weakness and opportunity for improvement.

Innovative company and team atmosphere

Current Employee - Architectural and Design Representative  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Architectural and Design Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Humanscale full-time for more than a year

Pros

Humanscale is an innovative company with products that are designed with a purpose. As a sales representative they provide you with the tools and knowledge to offer your clients what they need to understand what we sell and why. Upper management is informative and always willing to help. They allow/encourage you to be independent in your day to day activity with what most sales reps would consider basic check in/supervision. Humanscale is a company that understands you need to spend money to make money. They give you the opportunity to plan great events and spend quality time with your clients.

Cons

As with any sales role the day to day forms, tasks, and internal requests can become cumbersome while trying to make sure you are out selling. Any manufacture has its hiccups in all divisions like customer service and shipping and we are not exempt from those hiccups. Work life balance can be tricky for this position with evening events expected of you. If this is a lifestyle that is suitable then you should have no issues.

Making sure that they stay on top of shipping, inventory, and lead times which can cause issues with clients and being competitive in the furniture industry.

Humanscale has provided me with a Career not just a Job

Current Employee - Current Manager
    Current Employee - Current Manager

I have been working at Humanscale full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Humanscale has provided me a Career, not just a Job. The opportunity at Humanscale is what you make it. There are two common things I have seen from the most sucessful people at this company. They are Self Motivated and a Self Starter.
    Humanscale is also constantly not just developing new and exciting products, but introducing products in new categories. That makes the Career challenging, yet rewarding because you are always learning and growing.
    I have a great motivated Team, and I am proud to work with all of them.

Cons

Management.
    Since working at Humanscale I have had many different Managers, some good and some bad. With each manager, it almost felt like I worked for a different company. Take time before promoting people into management. I did learn what it takes to be a good manager though.
    Improve comunication between the Factory and the Sales Team.
    Sales Team is expected to wear many hats, more support for after the sale is needed.

Provide more room for advancement. Give empolyees more of an opportunity to advance other then into Management.
    Provide more Sales Support or Project Management to your Sales Team, so they can spend more time selling.
    Launch New Products when they are ready and relieable.

Overall great place to work!!!

I have been working at Humanscale full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-The People: I have worked in 3 different Humanscale offices and I haven't disliked a single person. The leadership at this company is amazing. I've heard of different experiences across the country, but all 3 of my managers have spent countless hours helping me prepare for presentations, meetings, and offering advice about not only on how to succeed at Humanscale, but in business in general. All of the offices I've worked at have had monthly team building events, dinners, bowling, happy hours, mud runs, where I've truly gotten to know my coworkers. It's a team driven environment, where we work hard and have fun while doing it. I really do look forward to coming into work on Mondays.

- The Products: Humanscale has the best ergonomic products in the industry. They are fun to sell, and really do change people's lives

-The Opportunity for growth: HR sends out monthly letters with job openings that we have all over the world in sales, management, operations, etc. We've been consistently growing since I've worked here.There's training programs, mentorship programs, and different divisions of the company you can become involved with based on your long-term goals. If you prove your work ethic and passion at this company, you will be compensated for it. I got a promotion after being here for a year and a half.

Cons

Early product release- The company has high expectations for the team to present new products before we are shipping them, or worked out the kinks.

Quality control/On time shipping

Sales support- We have very little sales support to help the sales team. The goals can be high, leaving the sales team to get caught up in day to day activities as opposed to spending time setting up higher level meetings, building new relationships, and focusing on long-term growth.

Compensation structure- Too confusing! I don't know 1 rep that fully understands their package.

Worked for Humanscale? Contribute to the Community!