Hunt Oil Company

Add Photos

Ray L. Hunt

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsManagers were expressed satisfaction with good work and were good at communicating. Plenty of benefits and everyone was very understanding of commitments outside of work. The company has great leadership and is headed in good directions. The new Dallas office is very nice and centrally located.

ConsThere are not many cons that come to mind.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Amazing Company that cares about employees

Vice President (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsEverything about Hunt is top notch

ConsTravel to Dallas on a regular basis

Interesting mix of cultures in a mostly engaged, culture-conscious company.

Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat people and benefits, with an emphasis on family and wellness. Beautiful workplace. Lots of ways to get involved. They take good care of their employees.

ConsGenerally lacks strategic conviction. Very sensitive to price of oil. Poor vertical and cross-functional communication.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exceptional place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Pros- Top management and leadership is extremely capable, accessible and accomplished
    - Great Employee benefits
    - Promote from within the company

ConsIt is a smaller company in an extremely competitive industry. Could focus more on the other subsidiaries of Hunt Consolidated (Hunt realty, Hunt investments) rather than Hunt Oil

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue being a global leader in exploration. The safety record and environmental programs should continue to set an example to other oil companies.

Great place to be, if it is the right work for you

Intern (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosbasically everything that could be a pro is a pro from typical standards.

ConsI dislike how they do not entirely believe in giving assignments, instead leaving the employee to find their own work to try and prove themselves. I am an overacheiver, and I need a standard so that I may exceed it. Otherwise I am constantly uncomfortable.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive assignments with deadlines

Darwin had it right... survival depends on the ability to adapt and change.

Analyst/Tech (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsPay is competitive and benefits are fairly good. Although it takes a long time to be vested (there is no step-vesting) and lots of people are forced out before vesting occurs.

ConsThere is a tremendous amount of hierarchy building among upper management. The company operates on a secretive, cut-throat basis, and only the most viscious are successful. Brownnosers and tattletales are rewarded at the expense of people who are just trying to do their job and survive. People who speak up about problem areas are severely punished.

At the same time there is a failure to communicate expectations and timelines. My boss changes his minds frequently leaving me and other employees off-balance and with unrealistic deadlines and vague expectations.

As a company, there is a failure by individuals to share information and to grab all the credit when something goes well, but shift blame for problem areas.

The hours are long and strictly monitored. Employees vacation time is often interrupted. This company has no concept of work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management should listen to the information provided in the employee survey and take it seriously. Although the majority of people who work for Hunt Oil Company will tell you they have an "open door policy," most people are also aware that there is punishment associated with speaking up.

Respectable.

Petroleum Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIt's a smaller company, so you get the feel of a small company, but all of the challenges of a big company.

ConsLong hours, and not much room for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the employees to profit more from their long hours and hard work.

Great work environment

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThe group was fabulous to environment for work. Highly technical with all capital approvals. Able to take on as much work as you want.

ConsPrivate company so there are no stock options. This was compensated for in base salary so it was not a big deal.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have none.

Fair

ProsOpen culture
    Multi discipline assignments
    Freedom of own development and career path definition
    a private company with long term vision

Consnot well structured and large organization
    short term planning seen as priority in many cases
    not good internal communications - lack of transparency

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand core business to related industries, decision making process needs to be more structured and aided with specialists - -

Worked for Hunt Oil Company? Contribute to the Community!