Hunter College

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hunter College President Jennifer J. Raab

Jennifer J. Raab

Pleasant surprise: Less expensive school led to better career-preparation

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAfter spending almost 4 years at Boston University (which I loved but could no longer afford), I transferred to this jewel of the City University of New York (CUNY), Hunter College. This was actually the second example I experienced of public education at its best. Here, I earned a position as a National Institute of Health-sponsored fellow/ Research Assistant after presenting original research I gathered and analyzed on attitudes toward the Rockefeller Drug Laws at a graduate conference. I went on to work at the Center for HIV Educational Studies and Treatment studying the potential for Motivational Enhancement Therapy as intervention for problematic alcohol use (I presented interim findings at Harvard Medical School during the New England Science Symposium).

ConsLike all workplaces, there could always be improved follow-up after graduation.

Good springboard into a variety of other positions.

Treasurer In A Student Government Position (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThere are many opportunities to get involved or find ways to learn. While the full-time college positions do not rotate so often, as a college student, it's highly recommended you find your way into some of the club and government positions among USG and Media Board - they pay decently but as one administrator put it: as a head member, you're running your own company and budget. Great experience to take elsewhere. And many of the positions are paid - well enough that it's significant for an ambitious college student.

ConsCommunication can be a drag; filing paperwork may mean being able to juggle the various departments which seem not to talk to each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe gentle and reward students who are revitalizing your organization from the ground up!

College Assistant

College Assistant (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFlexible Schedules, understanding upper management, great place to network.

ConsLow pay, little potential to grow.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My best experience as an adjunct instructor

Adjunct Assistant Professor (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI have worked in the School of Education for more than four years here, and I have found it to be a professional and rewarding environment. In some other schools where I have worked as an adjunct instructor, I have not been given the same regard; here, I have been treated here by other faculty as a peer and colleague, and I have felt included and respected. My students have mostly been graduate students, and I have found them to be intelligent, hard-working, and dedicated.

ConsJust like with any other adjunct gig, courses can sometimes be assigned at last or near-last minute, and the time slots have sometimes been late at night.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile this is not in the control of a department chair, and I think most or all full-time faculty are aware of it, I do think it's important to keep in mind the disparities between adjunct and full-time faculty in job security and income. For some of us, a part-time position suits our career goals, and we work just as hard. Some day, I hope that there will be a model where part-time faculty have better pay and job security, even a tenure track. This might also help to relieve some of the extra work of full-time faculty, since part-timers would feel more included and committed, and we would not have to run around as much between multiple jobs.

Great mission but tough to execute due to the culture of fear that permeates from the top down.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAmazing students from around the world; committed colleagues who want to do the right thing.

ConsLeadership makes it tough to operate autonomously since the level of micromanagement is extraordinary, especially in academia.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people do their jobs and stop being so suspicious.

Fun, at times a bit boring - met good people.

ProsYou meet good people and it's not so bad.

ConsCoworkers can sometimes be a bit overbearing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey definitely look for initiative and look out for you.

Roosevelt House Public Policy Institute

Research Assistant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsExcellent work environment, intellectually stimulating, great public programs.

ConsFairly high rate of turnover, but it's voluntary and that's the nature of the beast.

Enjoyed work as writing tutor at Reading/Writing Center

Tutor (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsProximity to classes, flexible class schedule.

ConsLimited hours, relatively low pay

Great community of workers

College Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsDepends on the office you work with. Some are more pleasant than others. In general everyone are friendly.

ConsThe only con would probably be implementation of cuny first. It's an annoying system.

Counselor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Benefits
    Stable Job
    Nice balance of work/ home life
    Summer Fridays
    Nice students

ConsNot much room for growth
    Administration is a mess
    Union workers get away with murder/ barely work and cant get fired
    Salary stays about the same
    Facilities are old

Worked for Hunter College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hunter College reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hunter College CEO Jennifer J. Raab. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by Hunter College employees.