Hunter Industries Reviews

Material Handler, Technician 1, Technician11

Former Employee - Techninian 11  in  San Marcos, CA
    Former Employee - Techninian 11 in San Marcos, CA

I worked at Hunter Industries full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have a good communication with co- workers and management, because I friendly, honest, and responsible.

Cons

The company is moving to Mexico

I like to seer skills for batter result the company

Hunter Industries Response

Jul 30, 2014Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the review and for your service at Hunter Industries, we appreciate the high ratings you've given us. Although some of our product lines are relocating to our facilities in Tijuana ... More

Hunter WAS a great place to work

I have been working at Hunter Industries full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great facilities, wonderful Gym staff.

Cons

Management has no clue as to what is really going on. Supervisors are told to lie to make departments look good.
    Employee reviews are based on what training they have gone to instead of what they knew and do everyday.
    It is still a who you know. golf,ski and party with that makes you a good employee. The truth is that they spend more time trying to be a better company instead of the company it was.

Bring back the old management style where employee's did want to work hard and love Hunter Industries instead of force it down our throats.

Great company to work for.

I worked at Hunter Industries

Pros

Company culture, great people, and challenging industry.

Cons

Human Resources is becoming to powerful.

Continue doing what you have been doing and do not try to change a good thing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Its a healthy work place!

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at Hunter Industries full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good work life balance. great benefits, really good wellness program.

Cons

some employees have been there a little too long, old school mentality, and a little behind the times.

keep up the good relationships with your employees it really make a difference.

Too many politics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at Hunter Industries full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Profit Sharing, Wellness center and health coaching.

Cons

Hunter has a serious problem with paying acceptable wages for jobs. They pay well below industry standard despite having done numerous "market research" to compare jobs, they have only lowered wages from this research even though the "supposed" goal was to raise them. They constantly ask people to train and work in new positions with more responsibilty, without ever giving them a promotion or raise for the extra work. If they do give the promotion it is usually 3-4 years after the person has been serving in that position. Department managers are more interested in fighting amongst each other regarding personell rather than making good decisions for the company, the worst part about this is that they don't realize they are messing with peoples careers and life plans and they dont even care. Instead they get so caught up in ridiculous politics that make no sense and are beneficial to no one. This obviously leads to ultimate employee frustration, and a high turnover rate of good employees. The culture unfortunately causes the best employees to leave for higher grounds, while the unproductive, motivated employees stick around. There are no claer paths to getting promotions or raises either, they are constantly changing the "requirements" and even when you meet all those requirements they still come up with excuses of why they can't promote you. Your manager tells you that you are doing an excellent job and just keep up the good work, but still can't pry the money from their cold, dead, corporate-like hands. Family run? Maybe, but seems like a greedy family to me if you allow this to go on. I have worked here full time for over six years, I find myself in a situation where I am working in one position and getting paid for a lower position, this is the 3rd time this has happened to me at this company. Soon I will be forced to give the company an ultimatum. Pay me or I will go, I hate having to make these kind of power moves, but management here leaves you with no other options to get what you want.

VPs need to stop allowing department managers to bicker amongst themselves and force them to start doing what is right for the company. Your molding and operation managers know nothing about molding, and are never around, but somehow always have complaints about peoples performance? How can you evaluate performance when you are never even around? The company boasts changing their culture for the better, but more and more things have stayed the same. Hunter recently did layoffs due to products moving to mexico, ahead of the layoffs they required employees to complete training and assement under the guise of giving people promotions and raises where deserved based off the assements. Instead this data was just used to decide who to layoff, and no one got any promotions or raises from this, even though it was promised. Another example of the requirements and paths for promotion being unclear and constantly changing. Hunter also loves to hire people externally and then pay those people more than the current employees who train them. I have hear of multiple employees being told they can't get a raise, but if they quite an re-apply through a temp agency then they can make a higher wage??? This is seriously ridiculous, this company still has major problems to work out.

Great experience with work life balance

Current Employee - Engineering  in  San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at Hunter Industries full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance, on-site gym with hiking trail, profit share

Cons

Moving some products down to Mexico, takes a long time to get things completed

Great first experience

Former Employee - Engineer  in  San Marcos, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Marcos, CA

I worked at Hunter Industries as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great work atmosphere. Treated with respect all the time. Gained tons of hands on experience.

Cons

none that come to mind. Only thing that can be somewhat of a con is that it is slightly far from major freeways.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at Hunter Industries full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Freedom and flexibility to do what you think is best. Little to no micromanagement. Profit sharing is a great incentive to get everyone in the company to work together. During my time here the company has spent a great deal of money on new technology for operations. They have developed an extremely workable stage gate process for product development. The running of the company passed from father to son so smoothly I wouldn't have know it happened if I hadn't known it happened.

Cons

In some departments we are spread pretty thin. Makes life extremely busy. But there are worse things in life. Like most organizations there is a certain amount of corporate politics. it is very subtle but once recognize it you realize it is always there. It has not really affected me personally but I have witnessed its impact on others.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Best job so far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at Hunter Industries full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are friendly
    Get along with mgr. and coworker
    Opinion counts

Cons

Parking is bad. However, concrete finally poured for old parking lot.

Meetings are horrendous - meeting starts at 9, but everyone starts to arrive about a half hour late, which pushes the whole day back. Or meetings are booked on top of each other, which doesn't get anything accomplished. One annoyance is to arrive for the meeting on time and wait for the leader to go through their email and answer the phone and get their paperwork in order on their desk. By the time the meeting starts, a half hour has elapsed. Very unproductive and wasteful.

Management tends to shirk responsibility and push things off on over worked employees. Doesn't show initiative to learn systems. If management hears a complaint, only interested in taking sides with complaining department. Doesn't defend department employees.

Need to establish some type of meeting norms and post them in the meeting rooms. Management needs to take this seriously. Hunter is a family organization, but that doesn't mean they can't conform to corporate standards. Also, management needs to display an active interest in wanting to learn systems.

Management is clueless dealing with propaganda and lying employees.

Former Employee - Quality Inspector  in  San Marcos, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Inspector in San Marcos, CA

I worked at Hunter Industries as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The work was easy by my standards LOL

Cons

People in certain departments, one person in particular, plays people with sexual innuendo. This person plays the management with lies about your relationship behind your back as well. This person would tell me one thing to my face and then make up complete lies about it all behind my back, to other co-workers and to the management of Hunter to get you fired. It's exactly what happened to me. Management does not know how to competently deal with sensitive employee issues. I would have had tons of good things to say about this company until they let another employee push me out with lies about our work relationship without my knowing what was going on. Nor was it discussed with me. The decision was just made out of the blue to let me go for no real reason (That I knew of, anyhow). Only several months later when I talked to a few former co-workers of mine that I kept in touch with did I find out what this person was doing behind my back and the real reason why I was let go. Word of advise...do NOT get involved with anyone, especially from the department I worked in. As of this date, that person still works there. Sometimes relationships do happen when you work with people all day long....don't let it what happen to me, happen to you at Hunter.

Also, it doesn't help when they ask you if you would take a pay cut to become a permanent employee. Not good business practices.

don't believe everything your "Regular" employees tell you. And do Not get angry when another employee calls you out on something out of place.

Worked for Hunter Industries? Contribute to the Community!