Hunter Industries
www.hunterindustries.com San Marcos, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Hunter Industries Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014
Hunter Industries – San Marcos – “Headquarter”

Hunter Industries President Greg Hunter

Greg Hunter

Great company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany culture, great people, and challenging industry.

ConsHuman Resources is becoming to powerful.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you have been doing and do not try to change a good thing.

Its a healthy work place!

Process Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Marcos, CA

Prosgood work life balance. great benefits, really good wellness program.

Conssome employees have been there a little too long, old school mentality, and a little behind the times.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good relationships with your employees it really make a difference.

Too many politics

San Marcos, CA

ProsProfit Sharing, Wellness center and health coaching.

ConsHunter has a serious problem with paying acceptable wages for jobs. They pay well below industry standard despite having done numerous "market research" to compare jobs, they have only lowered wages from this research even though the "supposed" goal was to raise them. They constantly ask people to train and work in new positions with more responsibilty, without ever giving them a promotion or raise for the extra work. If they do give the promotion it is usually 3-4 years after the person has been serving in that position. Department managers are more interested in fighting amongst each other regarding personell rather than making good decisions for the company, the worst part about this is that they don't realize they are messing with peoples careers and life plans and they dont even care. Instead they get so caught up in ridiculous politics that make no sense and are beneficial to no one. This obviously leads to ultimate employee frustration, and a high turnover rate of good employees. The culture unfortunately causes the best employees to leave for higher grounds, while the unproductive, motivated employees stick around. There are no claer paths to getting promotions or raises either, they are constantly changing the "requirements" and even when you meet all those requirements they still come up with excuses of why they can't promote you. Your manager tells you that you are doing an excellent job and just keep up the good work, but still can't pry the money from their cold, dead, corporate-like hands. Family run? Maybe, but seems like a greedy family to me if you allow this to go on. I have worked here full time for over six years, I find myself in a situation where I am working in one position and getting paid for a lower position, this is the 3rd time this has happened to me at this company. Soon I will be forced to give the company an ultimatum. Pay me or I will go, I hate having to make these kind of power moves, but management here leaves you with no other options to get what you want.

Advice to Senior ManagementVPs need to stop allowing department managers to bicker amongst themselves and force them to start doing what is right for the company. Your molding and operation managers know nothing about molding, and are never around, but somehow always have complaints about peoples performance? How can you evaluate performance when you are never even around? The company boasts changing their culture for the better, but more and more things have stayed the same. Hunter recently did layoffs due to products moving to mexico, ahead of the layoffs they required employees to complete training and assement under the guise of giving people promotions and raises where deserved based off the assements. Instead this data was just used to decide who to layoff, and no one got any promotions or raises from this, even though it was promised. Another example of the requirements and paths for promotion being unclear and constantly changing. Hunter also loves to hire people externally and then pay those people more than the current employees who train them. I have hear of multiple employees being told they can't get a raise, but if they quite an re-apply through a temp agency then they can make a higher wage??? This is seriously ridiculous, this company still has major problems to work out.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience with work life balance

Engineering (Current Employee)
    San Marcos, CA

ProsWork life balance, on-site gym with hiking trail, profit share

ConsMoving some products down to Mexico, takes a long time to get things completed

Great first experience

Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Marcos, CA

ProsGreat work atmosphere. Treated with respect all the time. Gained tons of hands on experience.

Consnone that come to mind. Only thing that can be somewhat of a con is that it is slightly far from major freeways.

Great place to work

Product Manager (Current Employee)
    San Marcos, CA

ProsFreedom and flexibility to do what you think is best. Little to no micromanagement. Profit sharing is a great incentive to get everyone in the company to work together. During my time here the company has spent a great deal of money on new technology for operations. They have developed an extremely workable stage gate process for product development. The running of the company passed from father to son so smoothly I wouldn't have know it happened if I hadn't known it happened.

ConsIn some departments we are spread pretty thin. Makes life extremely busy. But there are worse things in life. Like most organizations there is a certain amount of corporate politics. it is very subtle but once recognize it you realize it is always there. It has not really affected me personally but I have witnessed its impact on others.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

Best job so far

(Current Employee)

ProsPeople are friendly
    Get along with mgr. and coworker
    Opinion counts

ConsParking is bad. However, concrete finally poured for old parking lot.

Meetings are horrendous - meeting starts at 9, but everyone starts to arrive about a half hour late, which pushes the whole day back. Or meetings are booked on top of each other, which doesn't get anything accomplished. One annoyance is to arrive for the meeting on time and wait for the leader to go through their email and answer the phone and get their paperwork in order on their desk. By the time the meeting starts, a half hour has elapsed. Very unproductive and wasteful.

Management tends to shirk responsibility and push things off on over worked employees. Doesn't show initiative to learn systems. If management hears a complaint, only interested in taking sides with complaining department. Doesn't defend department employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to establish some type of meeting norms and post them in the meeting rooms. Management needs to take this seriously. Hunter is a family organization, but that doesn't mean they can't conform to corporate standards. Also, management needs to display an active interest in wanting to learn systems.

Management is clueless dealing with propaganda and lying employees.

Quality Inspector (Former Employee)
    San Marcos, CA

ProsThe work was easy by my standards LOL

ConsPeople in certain departments, one person in particular, plays people with sexual innuendo. This person plays the management with lies about your relationship behind your back as well. This person would tell me one thing to my face and then make up complete lies about it all behind my back, to other co-workers and to the management of Hunter to get you fired. It's exactly what happened to me. Management does not know how to competently deal with sensitive employee issues. I would have had tons of good things to say about this company until they let another employee push me out with lies about our work relationship without my knowing what was going on. Nor was it discussed with me. The decision was just made out of the blue to let me go for no real reason (That I knew of, anyhow). Only several months later when I talked to a few former co-workers of mine that I kept in touch with did I find out what this person was doing behind my back and the real reason why I was let go. Word of advise...do NOT get involved with anyone, especially from the department I worked in. As of this date, that person still works there. Sometimes relationships do happen when you work with people all day long....don't let it what happen to me, happen to you at Hunter.

Also, it doesn't help when they ask you if you would take a pay cut to become a permanent employee. Not good business practices.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't believe everything your "Regular" employees tell you. And do Not get angry when another employee calls you out on something out of place.

Best Employer I Have Ever Worked For!

San Marcos, CA

ProsPride in facilities (employee work environment)
    Warm, friendly welcoming employees
    Longevity in tenure
    Caring, encouraging and nurturing environment (family is one of our values)
    Work/life balance
    Fabulous fitness/wellness center with massage and health coaches (for employee and spouses)
    Affordable benefits
    State of the art technology
    Generous 401(k) match
    Annual profit sharing
    Environmentally conscious in a variety of ways
    Beautiful park with pond and picnic tables
    Group sports activities

ConsParking can be a challenge occasionally

Interesting workplace, good people, great products

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
    San Marcos, CA

ProsCompany has kept it's family owned business environment despite the growth of the company. Their values have not faltered and they still care about the customer, the employee and the community.

ConsSometimes parking can be a hassle

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to see some of the products available on a website hosted at Hunter, perhaps a web ecommerce solution. I've always thought that could be a successful avenue for profit.

Worked for Hunter Industries? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hunter Industries reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hunter Industries CEO Greg Hunter. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Hunter Industries employees.