Hunter Industries

Updated October 21, 2014
3.8

Hunter Industries President Greg Hunter
Greg Hunter

Valuable experience for a young engineering student

I worked at Hunter Industries as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Very real engineering environment, even if it's just sprinklers
    - Lots of experienced engineers, machinists, and others to ask questions
    - Excellent company culture

Cons

- Some level of dogmatism among engineers
    - Lack of work on occasion

Keep hiring interns!

Great Work Environment with Upward Growth Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at Hunter Industries full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's an entire campus of diverse disciplines with an on-site gym, great benefits, and a good chance to grow if you are highly motivated.

Cons

Entry salary levels are not totally on par with San Diego's high cost of living.

Profit Sharing and a very high end company gym help round out the lifestyle.

Finally, I have found a gem!

Current Employee - Analyst Level in San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst Level in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at Hunter Industries full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am thrilled to finally work for a company that genuinely has a culture that supports their values of customer service, innovation, family, and citizenship.

Co-workers are polite and respectful of each other. The internal customer service level is amazing and beats any of that of my past employers. Due to this work environment, I have seen my productivity skyrocket!!! I seriously giggle when I walk into my office and think to myself "I really work here".

Through a collaborative work environment, employees are motivated to be inventive, efficient, and work as hard as they can to contribute to the success of the company. Plus, this leads to profit sharing and that is a HUGE motivator too.

If you get the opportunity to work for Hunter Industries, believe me, you are lucky.

Cons

This is a manufacturing environment, so do not expect to be paid top dollar. The pleasant and positive work environment are well worth the slighly lower wages, believe me!! Plus profit sharing. Okay, I really cannot think of any CONS yet. I'm still in the honey moon stage of my employment.

Continue the success!!

Has potential, if only..

Former Employee - Machine Operator in San Marcos, CA
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in San Marcos, CA

I worked at Hunter Industries as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

It appears as though Hunter would be a great company to work for if they perhaps the powers that be had the knowledge that most of the people they employee on the production floor are actually related to one another causing complete conflict of interests and favoritism. Decent salary, clean and orderly employee break rooms and benefits for employees. As well as time off during holidays.

Cons

Recently having worked for Hunter through a third party. I was able to see in person how much nepotism takes place on the production floor. It seems like the leads are related to the supervisors and that trickles down throughout the floor. The chance of actually becoming a permanent employee if you are not related to anyone at Hunter are zero to none.

Please consider that there are many others out here wanting to work for what appears to be a great company but the chances of that happening are slim to none unless you know someone on the inside. I was there a short time and witnessed the nepotism that is rampant throughout.

Hunter WAS a great place to work

I have been working at Hunter Industries full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great facilities, wonderful Gym staff.

Cons

Management has no clue as to what is really going on. Supervisors are told to lie to make departments look good.
    Employee reviews are based on what training they have gone to instead of what they knew and do everyday.
    It is still a who you know. golf,ski and party with that makes you a good employee. The truth is that they spend more time trying to be a better company instead of the company it was.

Bring back the old management style where employee's did want to work hard and love Hunter Industries instead of force it down our throats.

Material Handler, Technician 1, Technician11

Former Employee - Techninian 11 in San Marcos, CA
    Former Employee - Techninian 11 in San Marcos, CA

I worked at Hunter Industries full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have a good communication with co- workers and management, because I friendly, honest, and responsible.

Cons

The company is moving to Mexico

I like to seer skills for batter result the company

Hunter Industries Response

Jul 30, 2014Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the review and for your service at Hunter Industries, we appreciate the high ratings you've given us. Although some of our product lines are relocating to our facilities in Tijuana ... More

Great company to work for.

I worked at Hunter Industries

Pros

Company culture, great people, and challenging industry.

Cons

Human Resources is becoming to powerful.

Continue doing what you have been doing and do not try to change a good thing.

Its a healthy work place!

Current Employee - Process Engineer in San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at Hunter Industries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good work life balance. great benefits, really good wellness program.

Cons

some employees have been there a little too long, old school mentality, and a little behind the times.

keep up the good relationships with your employees it really make a difference.

Too many politics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at Hunter Industries full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Profit Sharing, Wellness center and health coaching.

Cons

Hunter has a serious problem with paying acceptable wages for jobs. They pay well below industry standard despite having done numerous "market research" to compare jobs, they have only lowered wages from this research even though the "supposed" goal was to raise them. They constantly ask people to train and work in new positions with more responsibilty, without ever giving them a promotion or raise for the extra work. If they do give the promotion it is usually 3-4 years after the person has been serving in that position. Department managers are more interested in fighting amongst each other regarding personell rather than making good decisions for the company, the worst part about this is that they don't realize they are messing with peoples careers and life plans and they dont even care. Instead they get so caught up in ridiculous politics that make no sense and are beneficial to no one. This obviously leads to ultimate employee frustration, and a high turnover rate of good employees. The culture unfortunately causes the best employees to leave for higher grounds, while the unproductive, motivated employees stick around. There are no claer paths to getting promotions or raises either, they are constantly changing the "requirements" and even when you meet all those requirements they still come up with excuses of why they can't promote you. Your manager tells you that you are doing an excellent job and just keep up the good work, but still can't pry the money from their cold, dead, corporate-like hands. Family run? Maybe, but seems like a greedy family to me if you allow this to go on. I have worked here full time for over six years, I find myself in a situation where I am working in one position and getting paid for a lower position, this is the 3rd time this has happened to me at this company. Soon I will be forced to give the company an ultimatum. Pay me or I will go, I hate having to make these kind of power moves, but management here leaves you with no other options to get what you want.

VPs need to stop allowing department managers to bicker amongst themselves and force them to start doing what is right for the company. Your molding and operation managers know nothing about molding, and are never around, but somehow always have complaints about peoples performance? How can you evaluate performance when you are never even around? The company boasts changing their culture for the better, but more and more things have stayed the same. Hunter recently did layoffs due to products moving to mexico, ahead of the layoffs they required employees to complete training and assement under the guise of giving people promotions and raises where deserved based off the assements. Instead this data was just used to decide who to layoff, and no one got any promotions or raises from this, even though it was promised. Another example of the requirements and paths for promotion being unclear and constantly changing. Hunter also loves to hire people externally and then pay those people more than the current employees who train them. I have hear of multiple employees being told they can't get a raise, but if they quite an re-apply through a temp agency then they can make a higher wage??? This is seriously ridiculous, this company still has major problems to work out.

Great experience with work life balance

Current Employee - Engineering in San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at Hunter Industries full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, on-site gym with hiking trail, profit share

Cons

Moving some products down to Mexico, takes a long time to get things completed