Huntington Learning Centers

Huntington Learning Centers Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Huntington Learning Centers Chairman Raymond J. Huntington

Raymond J. Huntington

Pros
  • Rewarding to help students with academic improvement(in 12 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, close to home so there is no commute(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Unorganized, low pay, low hours (as a teacher), unrealistic expectations(in 16 reviews)

• Hours can be spotty, so it's hard to make enough from it as a part-time job(in 13 reviews)

Underpaid and overworked

Managing Director (Current Employee) Long Is City, NY

ProsGet to help some families.

ConsYou feel like you are stealing people's money. They say they individualize programs but every kid is in the same curriculum same order. They brain wash you with conventions and emails to say your helping kids. All you are doing is helping upper management and the Huntingtons to more money.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on numbers and money. We are suppose to be there for kids not numbers.

Declined Position

Assistant Director (Current Employee)

ProsGreat job concept but the business practice is shady.
    Student get tutoring services with qualified tutors.

ConsHorrible Pay
    Long Hours
    Must work every Saturday

Not well managed, not enough emphasis on student needs

Exam Prep Teacher (Former Employee) Melbourne, FL

ProsI loved working with the students one on one and helping them achieve their SAT and ACT score goals. They made the experience worthwhile.

ConsVery poorly managed with an emphasis on how much money they could squeeze out of every student instead of their success. Pay is dismal for what's asked of you, only $9 per hour even though glass door sites anywhere from $12-14/hour.

No real communication with employees outside of being reprimanded for senseless things and having the rules changed arbitrarily.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your students, not on the money. Communicate with your employees and show them some respect. They are the backbone of your business and deserve to be acknowledged as such.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good way to increase experience in a fairly low-stress environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsClearly structured activities, teachers are given a decent amount of autonomy and managers trusted them to make good decisions. Record keeping was pretty easy, and the students were mostly cooperative.

ConsSometimes scheduling led to large gaps between shifts on the same day, which can be difficult for people who commute like I did.

Perfect Part-Time Employment for Students' Progress

Part Time Teacher (Current Employee) Valencia, CA

Pros* Very clear on student's strengths and weaknesses
    * Curriculum already made for you (you are mainly a facilitator of their learning)
    * More experiences with teaching/tutoring
    * Flexible within reason, willing to give days off...although with few hours (10-20), you may not want to do that all time
    * No need to get involved with parents! :)

Many complaints are made based on directors, I am grateful to say that I have a great director, and therefore an even better experience with this company!

Cons* Struggle for hours during certain seasons (based on how many students are enrolled and season)
    * At times, students may cancel (they have a life too). However, at my center, we were given those hours back as administrative work.
    * Some curriculum was difficult for varying grade levels

Dog eat dog environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTeachers are very nice and helpful. The pay is very low so the teachers who are there are there for the right reasons

ConsBoth Company and Franchise Centers need to learn how to value their employees. Especially in the "Franchise World"...It is your full-time staff that make you all the money!! Stop treating them like cash cows. In the time I have been with Huntington, I have seen Centers run properly with excellent management. Unfortunately, they are few and far between. The majority of Franchise centers are run by people who have NO experience in education and only care about the bottom line. If you can just work for the numbers and put your feeling for the students and families that you are working with aside this is a great job for you. If not, and you care about those students overall well-being, stay away! You will be morally compromised and leave with a bitter taste!

Entry level Exam Preparation Instructor position with paid training, provided lesson plans, relaxed work environment.

Exam Prep Teacher (Former Employee) Albuquerque, NM

ProsFlexible hours; professional, helpful, and knowledgeable staff; gateway to other teaching positions, and a resume building experience. Good work-life balance. Time off was easy to arrange for.

ConsVarying weekly hours, seasonal slumps, no benefits to part-timers.

Sketchy Company with Pathetic Set of Morals

SAT/ACT English Test Prep (Former Employee)

ProsNothing; this was the worst company I've ever worked for.

ConsAll of my co-workers were miserable and complained about the company every time they went to work. I also ended up suing the specific branch that I worked for because they did not pay me for the time that I worked there. When I tried to contact the company for my paychecks, they refused to answer the phone and were conveniently out of the office every time I tried contacting them. They also destroyed my employee file and acted as if I didn't even work there. Their employee turnover rate is also extremely high because everyone that works there is in the same boat--they don't get paid or they don't get paid the right amount for the hours they work. The employees usually don't fight this as the money they lose isn't worth fighting for, which, in turn, reinforces Huntington's corporate workers to continue scamming their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more effectively with your employees, pay your employees, don't destroy their files, don't lie about the opportunities available within the company.

Great place to work

Assistant Director (Former Employee)

ProsI really enjoyed the opportunities that I had to gain management skills, work with students of all ages, and see improvements on standardized testing scores.

ConsSometimes recommendations were made to add instructional hours to student programs when needed and it made it difficult when it was clear that the parents would not be able to afford it

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a bit more schedule flexibility and more decision-making freedom to Directors and Assistant Directors

Huntington Learning Centers

Tutor (Former Employee) Reno, NV

ProsThey are flexible with your schedule and it's a great way to earn some experience with tutoring different subjects.

ConsThe pay, you only make $11 to $14 per hour. It's an unreliable source of income because tutees will cancel from time to time.

Worked for Huntington Learning Centers? Contribute to the Community!