Huntington Learning Centers

Updated February 23, 2015
Updated February 23, 2015
2.8

Eileen Huntington

Pros
  • Rewarding to help students with academic improvement (in 13 reviews)

• Most of the time you get to work one on one with students (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It is your full-time staff that make you all the money (in 12 reviews)

• Low pay for teachers makes it is tough to get the very best teaching staff on board (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Rewarding work

Current Employee - Huntington Tutor in Nanuet, NY
    Current Employee - Huntington Tutor in Nanuet, NY

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with students! When their light bulb goes off, learning to read, a new way to do math or learning a new word, it warms your heart.

Cons

The pay is equal to subbing and if you depend on it solely it could make life tough. Staff does the best they can but parents will still cancel last minute and you are sent home.

Keep up the great work! You have an excellent program and every child benefits.

Center Director

Current Employee - Center Director in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Center Director in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers

Pros

I love working as a Center Director for Huntington. I am given a reasonable amount of control of my day to day activities. I am able to go out into the community and meet business leaders, teachers, and parents who all work for the betterment of children. The Huntington teaching method works and it's awesome to see the children progress! Wonderful to know that we are a part of what makes this happen.

Cons

Difficult to find good work-life balance. There are long work hours, 10-12 hours, however, you can schedule your hours so that you are working 4 days a week.

Stressing on-going training will help to promote a more knowledgeable staff. Increasing part time teacher pay will help attract better quality teachers.

Rewarding experience

Current Employee - SAT/ACT Math Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - SAT/ACT Math Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers

Pros

As an SAT tutor I had the opportunity to work one on one with students. Huntington has a unique program and we all truly had a vested interest in the success of each student.

Cons

The salary is not anywhere near the salary you can earn as a private tutor.

My management team was always supportive and encouraging.

Bad franchise to buy

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great tutoring model that is different from the competitors.

Cons

Very regional centric and have NO clue on the culture and landscape of the west coast, particularly Southern California to help franchisee thrive and grow.

Get out of the east coast and the seventies decade mentality and catch up to the time.

Decent Place

Former Employee - Tutor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Tutor in Tampa, FL

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers

Pros

Allow part time hours, good hourly pay

Cons

Schedule changes frequently. Revolving door of teachers.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Huntington has been my "home" for over 10 years. Throughout my tenure with the organization, I've had the pleasure of working in various capacities – both at the corporate and center levels. In each of my roles, I have been (and continue to be) personally and professionally challenged to produce results that have a high impact on the company and our clients -- students and families.

I work with a team of intelligent, passionate, and energetic professionals who strive each day to fulfill our company’s mission – “to give every student the best education possible”. The chemistry and commitment of the team makes it a pleasure to come to work every day!

We celebrate often – annual franchise and company center conventions, quarterly corporate lunches and seasonal “kick-off” events, and annual holiday celebrations. In addition, through corporate programs, I am able to give back to my community – we regularly participate in the Toys for Tots gift drive and this year collected food for a local shelter.

Of course the work can be intense at times; however, the opportunities that I have been afforded as a result of my performance have been completely fulfilling. As they say, you get out what you put in!

Cons

In my personal experience at Huntington, the PROS the CONS. I have nothing to mention in this category.

At the recent company convention, the outlook for 2015 and beyond was presented by management. I am excited by what is to come in the near future and I look forward to being part of the team and the company's continued growth!

Steady Job

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers

Pros

Work is predictable once you have their system down.

Cons

No room for growth. The students may not be too motivated to be here.

Rewarding work, but long hours

Current Employee - Managing Director in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very rewarding to see student progress. Co-workers can be social.

Cons

Long hours, not very competitive pay, too much focus on sales vs. education

More competitive base pay,

An alright learning center

Current Employee - Part Time Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Part Time Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Students develop skills as they work through problems. It can be nice to hear about other teachers experience in schools, and could be a good place to network. It's an easy way to get experience as a new teacher.

Cons

The pay is not competitive. The hours are short and sporadic. I've driven across town (40 minutes) for 2 hour at $10/hour.

improve the training. I was shown specific tasks before understanding what happens at the learning center overall. The full-time staff seem spread thin.

A job that I enjoy.

Current Employee - Exam Prep & Learning Center Teacher in Wyomissing, PA
    Current Employee - Exam Prep & Learning Center Teacher in Wyomissing, PA

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I get to teach a variety of subjects one-on-one with students. The work environment is quiet. Dress is business casual.

Cons

This is only a part-time job with no benefits. There has not been a pay raise in several years. There is little room to move up in the company.

Perform employee reviews annually.

Huntington Learning Centers Photos