Huntington Learning Centers

Huntington Learning Centers Reviews

Updated Apr 5, 2014

Huntington Learning Centers Chairman Raymond J. Huntington

Raymond J. Huntington

Pros:
  • "Rewarding to help students with academic improvement"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Flexible schedule, close to home so there is no commute"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low pay for teachers makes it is tough to get the very best teaching staff on board"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Hours can be spotty, so it's hard to make enough from it as a part-time job"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

Assistant Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time for more than a year

ProsI really enjoyed the opportunities that I had to gain management skills, work with students of all ages, and see improvements on standardized testing scores.

ConsSometimes recommendations were made to add instructional hours to student programs when needed and it made it difficult when it was clear that the parents would not be able to afford it

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a bit more schedule flexibility and more decision-making freedom to Directors and Assistant Directors

Huntington Learning Centers

Tutor (Former Employee)
Reno, NV

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time for less than a year

ProsThey are flexible with your schedule and it's a great way to earn some experience with tutoring different subjects.

ConsThe pay, you only make $11 to $14 per hour. It's an unreliable source of income because tutees will cancel from time to time.

Good work environment, focused on student success

Exam Prep Teacher (Former Employee)
Boise, ID

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

ProsGood opportunity to train into teaching other topics/grade levels. Friendly, supportive work environment. Accommodates requests for time off just about whenever. Provides tons of support material for teaching nearly any topic.

ConsHours can vary due to students' schedule and time of the year. Short training period which can make starting a little stressful if you're not a quick learner.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice Part Time Work

SAT/ACT Math Tutor (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

ProsThe work keeps me sharp, and I enjoy working with the kids.

ConsLow pay. Inconsistent Hours. ......

They are money hungry and pay their employees horribly.

ADA (Former Employee)

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time for less than a year

ProsNone at all, not one.

ConsLong, awkward hours, horrible pay, money hungry corporate environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate your portals, your functions, pay your employees more.

Repressed by horrible manager

SAT/ACT Math and Verbal Tutor (Current Employee)
Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat kids who want to be smarter. Just walk in and begin helping students. No pre-planning (not even if you want to).

ConsThe owner/boss, Antiquated materials.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are no words that will change the way this lady operates her business. The only smiles and kindness are when parents are watching. Teachers are NOT permitted to even say "Hi" to a parent.

Alright job if you can get enough hours.

Teacher (Former Employee)

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for less than a year

ProsNot having to travel to students' houses was the main reason I accepted this position. I enjoyed the interaction with the students, and seeing them learn and succeed is always the most fulfilling aspect of teaching. I was always paid correctly and on time.

ConsNot enough advance notice when students cancel (and they do often). Hardly any hours to begin with, and there is definitely an emphasis on pleasing the parent no matter what the student is scoring. The Huntington "methods" are outdated and waste time. The material itself is outdated- students need to be exposed to current technology, not folders and worksheets. The amount of record keeping per student is tedious and, frankly, unnecessary.

The lack of communication between management and staff was troubling (my location relied on copies of workbooks for younger students, and only the Director wanted access to the copy machine, which was fine by me. Thing is, the copies that I needed were never in the student's folder for their session. A waste of the student's time!)

Advice to Senior ManagementThat when teachers leave unsatisfied with their position, they give an honest assessment of the Huntington methods. Make sure your employees are satisfied.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Horrible

Anonymous (Former Employee)

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers

ProsNo pros to be listed

ConsLong hours, weekends, low pay, programs are not custom

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more staff to help understaffed centers instead if trying to save a few bucks. Care about your employees as much as you care about your bottom line.

Good working environment

Tutor (Former Employee)
Allentown, PA

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for less than a year

ProsLittle hours, rewarding working with students

ConsLate hours some nights, if students don't show up you get sent home

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees and see what would work best to keep a strong happy team of workers!

Stay away

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Oradell, NJ

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time

ProsWorking with awesome kids and being able to see them succeed.

ConsUnrealistic expectations, dishonesty and uncalled for nastiness from upper management. Zero work-life balance. Do not care about employees and there is constant turn over of center management. For every 20 emails sent about making money, there is MAYBE 1 sent about helping kids. Pathetic commission structure, just about always out of reach.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut center staff a break once in awhile and show more appreciation. These are the hardest working people I've ever encountered and they are continually abused.

Worked for Huntington Learning Centers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Huntington Learning Centers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Huntington Learning Centers CEO Raymond J. Huntington. All 125 reviews posted anonymously by Huntington Learning Centers employees.