Huntington Learning Centers

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014
2.6

Eileen Huntington

Pros
  • Rewarding to help students with academic improvement (in 12 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, close to home so there is no commute (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Unorganized, low pay, low hours (as a teacher), unrealistic expectations (in 16 reviews)

• Hours can be spotty, so it's hard to make enough from it as a part-time job (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Tutor

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers

Pros

Great Environment to be in all the time

Cons

you probably do not get enough hours

Admin asst

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers

Pros

Flexible, easy family owned, good pay, nice people

Cons

Terrible managment, odd jobs occupy work day

Become actual manager

True Educators....beware!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Director
    Former Employee - Assistant Director

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with students who really need your help. You can develop your staff and really help budding new teachers reach their potential. You learn a new set of administrative skills that you wouldn't learn from anywhere else. Decent benefits after a 90 day probation period.

Cons

The hours are absolutely horrible. As administration, you are a salaried employee and should only be working 40 hours per week. I was working anywhere from 40-80 hours per week. 12-14 hour days, a center with no administrative support except for me, and no compensation for the extra hours you work. For what they have the audacity to charge their students for tutition, they could spend a bit more on pay increases for full time, and part time, staff. The turnover is high and the upper management sits back and does/says nothing.

Be more proactive, and supportive....instead of reactive, and critical of your staff. Give promotions, and raises, where they are due. Not just to the staff that kisses the most butt.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Director

Current Employee - Center Director

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

working with kids and seeing them succeed.

Cons

Management, business model, compensation is a joke compared to the work we do.

keep your employees happy and your business will continue to grow. But when you don't value us, we will go to your competitors.

SAT/ACT Tutor

Former Employee - Tutor  in  Pembroke Pines, FL
    Former Employee - Tutor in Pembroke Pines, FL

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, no lesson plans, and mostly well-behaved students. For ACT/SAT tutoring all materials are provided by the company and tutors have to use Huntington's teaching methods for standardized testing preparation. All the tutors are licensed teachers so there is a feeling of camaraderie among the staff.

Cons

Worked for over year with no opportunity for a raise or growth. The disparity between what parents are charged versus what tutors make is extreme. If you are skilled at teaching both the math and verbal portions of the ACT or SAT, you would be better off to advertise yourself as tutor and be your own boss. The benchmark tests the company uses to demonstrate the child's growth while at Huntington are just practice tests that anyone can buy from College Board. Sometimes scheduling is hectic if the center is short-staffed. Overturn is pretty high.

More incentives for tutors to stay.

Its more worth your time to do private tutoring

Former Employee - SAT/ACT Math Tutor  in  Lynbrook, NY
    Former Employee - SAT/ACT Math Tutor in Lynbrook, NY

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for less than a year

Pros

They attract students who need tutoring. Finding enough students who need private tutoring can be time consuming. Therefore, if you are only looking to tutor for a short period of time, this isn't a bad gig.

Cons

If you have the time to find a number of students who need private tutoring do that instead. The pay here is pretty terrible.

Good for college students

Current Employee - SAT/ACT Math Tutor  in  Draper, UT
    Current Employee - SAT/ACT Math Tutor in Draper, UT

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They are flexible with hours if you are going to school and the pay is good.

Cons

Hours are very inconsistant, only 1/4th pay when students dont show up, managers are very lax and dont care about anything other than how much they make.

Don't act like you are mightier than the teachers and try to appreciate them more.

Not enough quality time with students

Current Employee - Center Director

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Got to help some of underachieving students make huge strides in their education foundation. Felt very happy to be part of the lives of so many families, wish I could of helped more. If parents had seen and understood the importance of grades in our society, I could of made a real impact in many more lives.

Cons

Hours are ridiculous, give your staff a break. Cost of tutoring, our SAT and ACT students feel like they don't have to do any of the work, it should all just come to them since their parents paid the money. For our students that had some disabilities, I wish I was able to have more time to work with them and make more educational gains.

Listen to your staff once in awhile.

Unethical money hungry franchise owner.

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Administration  in  Stafford, VA
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Administration in Stafford, VA

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pro is working with the kids. It is a joy when a child finally after weeks comprehends what they have been working on.

Cons

So many to list:

Pay: Part time staff is not paid on time and are underpaid. Full time staff are worked way over what is considered full time with no compensation for it. Promised bonuses are not delivered. And if full time staff resigns, they will not receive their final paycheck. Corporate knows of these issues and does nothing about it. They say they are "handling the problem" but nothing actually changes.

Pay your staff. If someone resigns, pay them their final paycheck. They worked the hours.

Little Work, Little Pay

Former Employee - Huntington Tutor  in  Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Huntington Tutor in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time for less than a year

Pros

The work is easy - you are basically reading off of a script. There is zero planning involved. The HS students are generally self-motivated. The location at a strip mall, so there are restaurants and stores nearby.

Cons

The work is really boring, since you are using Huntington materials, which haven't been updated since the 1980s. The pay is REALLY low - $9/hr, almost minimum wage, even though you need to have a B.A. to work there. The students are charged $45-65/hr. I agree with a previous reviewer who said it is more worth your time to do private tutoring (it would also be more worth it for the parents, if you charge less than $45/hr).

The turnover rate is high, because of the pay. At $9/hr, and working an average of 6-10 hrs/week, it is not enough to get by. I worked here for 9 months, then got a job at Wal-Mart. My basic cashier job paid 8.50/hr (almost the same), and I worked 24 hrs/week, making a lot more than I worked at Huntington.

There is really no advice to give, since the salary seems fixed and there is no opportunity for advancement. I would advise them to give teachers more hours to work. When someone quits, instead of hiring someone new right away, give the teachers already there more hours.

Worked for Huntington Learning Centers? Contribute to the Community!