Huntington Learning Centers

Huntington Learning Centers Reviews

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014

Eileen Huntington

Pros
  • Rewarding to help students with academic improvement (in 13 reviews)

• Most of the time you get to work one on one with students (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It is your full-time staff that make you all the money (in 12 reviews)

• Low pay for teachers makes it is tough to get the very best teaching staff on board (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Little Work, Little Pay

Former Employee - Huntington Tutor in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Huntington Tutor in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work is easy - you are basically reading off of a script. There is zero planning involved. The HS students are generally self-motivated. The location at a strip mall, so there are restaurants and stores nearby.

Cons

The work is really boring, since you are using Huntington materials, which haven't been updated since the 1980s. The pay is REALLY low - $9/hr, almost minimum wage, even though you need to have a B.A. to work there. The students are charged $45-65/hr. I agree with a previous reviewer who said it is more worth your time to do private tutoring (it would also be more worth it for the parents, if you charge less than $45/hr).

The turnover rate is high, because of the pay. At $9/hr, and working an average of 6-10 hrs/week, it is not enough to get by. I worked here for 9 months, then got a job at Wal-Mart. My basic cashier job paid 8.50/hr (almost the same), and I worked 24 hrs/week, making a lot more than I worked at Huntington.

There is really no advice to give, since the salary seems fixed and there is no opportunity for advancement. I would advise them to give teachers more hours to work. When someone quits, instead of hiring someone new right away, give the teachers already there more hours.

Not much room to climb in franchise if you're planning on it being your final destination

Former Employee - Part Time Teacher
    Former Employee - Part Time Teacher

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers

Pros

if you're truly just starting out but quick on your feet, you can develop your tutoring method.

Cons

Since it's a small business, most owners only care about the bottom line. This means they want the least expensive teacher over the most effective. I went from 12 to 13.50 and started losing hours. There may be teacher observations but there aren't any official reviews like normal places where you expect to get a raise at that time. It's like pulling your own teeth to get a raise in most branches. I've heard the same from management. They rarely get reviews either and depend on bonuses if eligible which is like half of a penny to the dollar.

As a mother, I always felt that teachers should get free tutoring for family. We spend so much time helping the company make so much money, but our children mean nothing.

Declined Position

Current Employee - Assistant Director
    Current Employee - Assistant Director

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time

Pros

Great job concept but the business practice is shady.
    Student get tutoring services with qualified tutors.

Cons

Horrible Pay
    Long Hours
    Must work every Saturday

Wonderful rewarding experience where we get to teach eager individuals

Current Employee - Part Time Teacher in Westwood, NJ
    Current Employee - Part Time Teacher in Westwood, NJ

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are very flexible with the hours. If you want time off, as long as it's well within the deadline of a week before your desired dates off, they are very accommodating.

Cons

Sometimes the administration was lacking in terms of proper organisation of tutors assigned to their students. Often times, students would either not show up or cancel and the tutor would be waiting for the student to arrive.

Perhaps sending reminder calls to students that often forget/get mixed with their scheduling would help so that the tutor and the student do not have to continuously reschedule due to lack of organization.

A good supplemental job

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers (more than an year)

Pros

They offer flexible scheduling and actively look to promote their employees. It was very rewarding to help students increase their test scores and confidence.

Cons

Wish there was a better organizational system within the company.

Underpaid and overworked

Current Employee - Managing Director in Long Is City, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Long Is City, NY

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get to help some families.

Cons

You feel like you are stealing people's money. They say they individualize programs but every kid is in the same curriculum same order. They brain wash you with conventions and emails to say your helping kids. All you are doing is helping upper management and the Huntingtons to more money.

Stop focusing on numbers and money. We are suppose to be there for kids not numbers.

Not well managed, not enough emphasis on student needs

Former Employee - Exam Prep Teacher in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Exam Prep Teacher in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved working with the students one on one and helping them achieve their SAT and ACT score goals. They made the experience worthwhile.

Cons

Very poorly managed with an emphasis on how much money they could squeeze out of every student instead of their success. Pay is dismal for what's asked of you, only $9 per hour even though glass door sites anywhere from $12-14/hour.

No real communication with employees outside of being reprimanded for senseless things and having the rules changed arbitrarily.

Focus on your students, not on the money. Communicate with your employees and show them some respect. They are the backbone of your business and deserve to be acknowledged as such.

Good way to increase experience in a fairly low-stress environment

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers

Pros

Clearly structured activities, teachers are given a decent amount of autonomy and managers trusted them to make good decisions. Record keeping was pretty easy, and the students were mostly cooperative.

Cons

Sometimes scheduling led to large gaps between shifts on the same day, which can be difficult for people who commute like I did.

Perfect Part-Time Employment for Students' Progress

Current Employee - Part Time Teacher in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Part Time Teacher in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

* Very clear on student's strengths and weaknesses
    * Curriculum already made for you (you are mainly a facilitator of their learning)
    * More experiences with teaching/tutoring
    * Flexible within reason, willing to give days off...although with few hours (10-20), you may not want to do that all time
    * No need to get involved with parents! :)

Many complaints are made based on directors, I am grateful to say that I have a great director, and therefore an even better experience with this company!

Cons

* Struggle for hours during certain seasons (based on how many students are enrolled and season)
    * At times, students may cancel (they have a life too). However, at my center, we were given those hours back as administrative work.
    * Some curriculum was difficult for varying grade levels

Dog eat dog environment

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time

Pros

Teachers are very nice and helpful. The pay is very low so the teachers who are there are there for the right reasons

Cons

Both Company and Franchise Centers need to learn how to value their employees. Especially in the "Franchise World"...It is your full-time staff that make you all the money!! Stop treating them like cash cows. In the time I have been with Huntington, I have seen Centers run properly with excellent management. Unfortunately, they are few and far between. The majority of Franchise centers are run by people who have NO experience in education and only care about the bottom line. If you can just work for the numbers and put your feeling for the students and families that you are working with aside this is a great job for you. If not, and you care about those students overall well-being, stay away! You will be morally compromised and leave with a bitter taste!

Huntington Learning Centers Photos