Huntington Learning Centers Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. A good place to work, but very few hours and low pay.

Former Employee - SAT/ACT Math Tutor in Grayslake, IL
    Former Employee - SAT/ACT Math Tutor in Grayslake, IL

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Coworkers are very friendly. 2. You are helping students improve their school subject skills and ACT scores. 3. Job of helping students makes you feel good about yourself. 4. Job is good experience for people who want to pursue a career in teaching.

Cons

1. Only part-time positions are available, meaning there are no benefits. 2. Students do not always show up, which can be very frustrating if you have to drive far. They are also not held accountable for this even if the reasons for not showing up are illegitimate. 3. Very few hours, especially around holidays and ACT/SAT test weekends. 4. No direct-deposit system. You get a paper paycheck that you have to take to the bank yourself.

Advice to Management

My best advice is that there needs to be more accountability for students who do not show up for sessions for unacceptable reasons like "I don't feel like going because I have better things to do, like hanging out with friends and playing video games." If a student does not show up for a session, they should be required to either still pay for the session, or give a legitimate reason for cancelling the session. Also, I think they need to make teachers more aware if students are complaining about not getting enough help so that the teachers can adjust their teaching methods to better fit the students.

2. Center Director

Current Employee - Center Director in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Center Director in Chesapeake, VA

Pros

I love working as a Center Director for Huntington. I am given a reasonable amount of control of my day to day activities. I am able to go out into the community and meet business leaders, teachers, and parents who all work for the betterment of children. The Huntington teaching method works and it's awesome to see the children progress! Wonderful to know that we are a part of what makes this happen.

Cons

Difficult to find good work-life balance. There are long work hours, 10-12 hours, however, you can schedule your hours so that you are working 4 days a week.

Advice to Management

Stressing on-going training will help to promote a more knowledgeable staff. Increasing part time teacher pay will help attract better quality teachers.

3. Rewarding work

Current Employee - Huntington Tutor in Nanuet, NY
    Current Employee - Huntington Tutor in Nanuet, NY

I have been working at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with students! When their light bulb goes off, learning to read, a new way to do math or learning a new word, it warms your heart.

Cons

The pay is equal to subbing and if you depend on it solely it could make life tough. Staff does the best they can but parents will still cancel last minute and you are sent home.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! You have an excellent program and every child benefits.

Great Hours, Low Pay

Former Employee - SAT/ACT English Test Prep in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - SAT/ACT English Test Prep in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Majority of Hours fall between 4-10 after kids get out of school. Leaves ample time for personal work during the day.

Cons

Cancellations were a problem. Owner didn't pay you if your kid canceled even when you showed up. Their program is outdated, so working for 15 an hour makes sense. Meanwhile, tutoring services cost families upwards of $100 an hour.

Advice to Management

Don't be cheap. If you want to keep valuable teachers, pay them a bit more/uphold cancellation policies. Pay more attention to what you are teaching the kids, instead of strictly caring about the bottom line.(although i do understand this)

6. Rewarding experience

Current Employee - SAT/ACT Math Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - SAT/ACT Math Tutor in New York, NY

Pros

As an SAT tutor I had the opportunity to work one on one with students. Huntington has a unique program and we all truly had a vested interest in the success of each student.

Cons

The salary is not anywhere near the salary you can earn as a private tutor.

Advice to Management

My management team was always supportive and encouraging.

Bad franchise to buy

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great tutoring model that is different from the competitors.

Cons

Very regional centric and have NO clue on the culture and landscape of the west coast, particularly Southern California to help franchisee thrive and grow.

Advice to Management

Get out of the east coast and the seventies decade mentality and catch up to the time.

I felt like a slave in the galley of a sinking ship.

Former Employee - Center Director
    Former Employee - Center Director

I worked at Huntington Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job working with professional teachers and students

Cons

Constant threatening from management that the job is jeopardy.

Huntington Learning Centers Response

Mar 10, 2015 – Sr. Manager of Recruiting and Employee Relations

We are truly sorry that you left with this impression. Huntington's management expects that staff will adhere to company standards and achieve target center goals and operations. If a staff member ... More

Steady Job

Pros

Work is predictable once you have their system down.

Cons

No room for growth. The students may not be too motivated to be here.

10. Decent Place

Former Employee - Tutor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Tutor in Tampa, FL

Pros

Allow part time hours, good hourly pay

Cons

Schedule changes frequently. Revolving door of teachers.

Working with students is fine. A low pay and unreliable job.

Former Employee - ACT Prep Tutor in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - ACT Prep Tutor in Naperville, IL

Pros

Work with great students and teachers.

Cons

The pay is low and if your student cancels, even at the latest minute, the teacher does not get paid. They need a better policy.

Advice to Management

Treat your teachers better. Pay them better for what your are charging customers and respect teachers' time.

RSS Feed </> Embed