Huntington National Bank

Updated September 4, 2014
2.8

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour
Steve Steinour

Pros
  • great work/life balance for my family (in 6 reviews)

• Management was very personable, everyone was a team player, good benefits and perks (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work long hours sometimes 6-10 days in a row (in 16 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is a huge issue at HNB - IT employees normally work 60 (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

64 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A lot of forward momentum

Current Employee - Officer  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Officer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Strong leadership at the top and a deep bench of future leaders ready to take on key roles like CEO and President of Retail.

Cons

I'm tired. Really tired. The hours we put in are long and packed full of productivity. Whatever happened to "banker's hours"? LOL

Keep aiming high.

Great Company-Wrong Mid Management

Former Employee - Underwriter  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great opportunities - Diversity - training. The Training cannot be beat , their team is right on top of all changes.

Cons

The salary is less than desirable. The mid-level managers need to be coached on compassion and retaining employees.

It would be great to recognize your lower level employees - Awards - Banquets - increased salary would be beneficial.

Solid Company

Current Employee - Insurance  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Insurance in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work Life balance, good people, decent retirement

Cons

Healthcare is not good, salaries not on par

reward your employees for their hard work, stop cutting commissions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Skills Coach

Current Employee - Coach  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Coach in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

I been there 2 yrs and I have liked it a lot they have worked with me on medical issues and did everything they could to help. The past yr I feel like management is like family.

Cons

Very low pay for a high stress job. Sales incentive is a joke the only reason anyone tries to sell is to get off the phone.

Let people roll over vacation time, Really talk to middle management not upper yes men. When rolling out new system take your time to make sure it works instead of just rolling it out and seeing if it works or not.

modeler

Current Employee - Senior Modeler  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Modeler in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

good work life balance
    good location
    PTO package is good

Cons

nothing particularly bad some politics

Huntington had the potential to be a great employer, but they fell short.

Current Employee - Universal Banker  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people I worked with were amazing and I formed many close relationships. They offer great benefits and there are many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Policies and expectations change almost constantly. I was fired from my position for violating a policy that they had never informed me of. I filed for unemployment and they denied it for weeks saying that I was aware of the policy that I had violated. In the end, they had no proof that they had ever informed me of the policy change. I have heard of many similar cases from other people who have been fired from Huntington. Their expectations of their employees is inconsistent and makes for a very unstable work environment.

Please be clear with your employees what their expectations are and work with them when they don't line up with what previous managers have expected, because there will be huge discrepancies.

As a collector, our goals were completely unrealistic and were not granted the support of management.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent hours and paid holidays off, which was a good thing.

Cons

COMPLETELY stressful and no support from management. The managers and team leaders were VERy disconnected with the team members

Room to Move up, Small Business Feel

Former Employee - Store Banking Specialist  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Store Banking Specialist in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

I had a great experience working for Huntington, although I was only there a short while. The training offered was helpful and extensive. I felt as though my manager truly cared about my progress and future with the business. Benefits were great and I felt valued as an individual.

Cons

I cannot speak to working as a banker in a stand-alone store, because my experience was at an in-store branch at Giant Eagle. The most unfavorable component of this position is 'aisle time.' The company wants employees to spend time pushing checking accounts and other banking services / products while customers are doing their grocery shopping. It's awkward, intrusive, and feels obnoxious.

Setting up a cart at the front of the store or throughout the store gives employees a place to feel grounded and less uncomfortable, rather than expecting them to push banking services / products to customers shopping the aisles.

A good broad experience.

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are ample opportunities for personal growth. Compensation is relatively competitive in certain areas.

Cons

Paid time off is lagging behind from past employers. The intention for promotions seemed to be right on mark but the follow through of actually putting the promotion through seemed to be lagging. The work being completed seemed to be 2-3 years ahead of the title/compensation.

Management begrudgingly pays incentive.

Current Employee - Banker  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Banker in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Marginal benefits. Their checks clear. It beats working at McDonalds but the pay is about the same. No other positive things.

Cons

Anti-commission plans. the company sets up the incentive plan so that it is nearly impossible to earn an incentive. Huntington Bank clearly not this misrepresents job functions and duties during interview process.

You are not Chase!

Worked for Huntington National Bank? Contribute to the Community!