Huntington National Bank

Updated December 19, 2014
2.9

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour
Steve Steinour

Pros
  • work-life balance was very good; great benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Growing company, good environment to work in (depending on your job), great benefits (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a huge issue at HNB - IT employees normally work 60 (in 11 reviews)

• Work long hours sometimes 6-10 days in a row (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

72 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Friendly work environment with Good work culture

Former Employee - Systems Analyst Lead in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst Lead in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

My colleagues were friendly, so I was able to accomplish the work on time.
    Also all the employees with whom I worked were located in the same building.
    Flexible work schedule.
    I have changed my work timings depending on the client's requirements.

Cons

The applications' Architectures were so complex and there was no proper documentation.
    As result no one knew what was going on.
    It was tough in the beginning on how to begin my work, until I met the right person.

Organize the Documentation properly so corresponding employees will know what is going on.

Lack of planning

Former Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

It all depends on what area of the bank you are assigned to. There are some really good managers, but there are also some managers that expect their employees to work when they are on vacation.

Cons

Planning of IT projects and resources is not consistent. I was hired as an employee, relocated at my own expense only to be displaced 6 months later due to lack of projects and funding.

Reach out to team members to get feedback

Loved my customers, hated Huntington

Former Employee - Teller in Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Teller in Marysville, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The customers were great. The benefits are amazing! Health was a huge part of Huntington and that's one thing I'm big on. Some co-workers were great too.

Cons

The pay was subpar. The management was horrible and sometimes non-existent (meaning, managers stayed in their offices all day..playing on their phones). The office I was at had nothing but double standards. (Tellers can't have food or even water on the line, yet platform side can. Tellers can't have phones on the line, platform side can. Tellers can't browse Internet, platform side can.) The referral goal was most of the time unattainable. The workload put onto us made for 11-12 hour days sometimes (new system with no support). There was no work-life balance. Huntington was very harsh on sick time/pto. They didn't care if you had medical issues; you would get no sick pay or medical leave (besides fmla), just points which can get you terminated quickly. Working in a bank exposes you to disgusting money..you're bound to get sick. Huntington was the only bank I've ever worked at that had no sick days.

stop micro-managing the tellers!!

Great culture and management

Current Employee - Risk Management Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Risk Management Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open honest management. Great customer focused operating philosophy

Cons

most senior leadership hired from outside the company. Little internal promotion

Promote from within so you retain key employees

If you're in IT - Unless you're from Chase you're toast

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

Many long-term employees who care about what happens to their clients. Outstanding CEO - truly a master that has turned around Huntington's financial performance. Since most everything is broken, there really isn't a lot of pressure to fix things. Broken is the new successful.

Cons

Majority of IT management is from Chase. Chase isn't known as a great place to work in Columbus - guess how it is to work at Huntington now. Innovation is hunted down and killed. And Innovators are driven out of the company.

Few highly skilled developers. Huntington IT is sort of an elephant graveyard - where careers go when they are ready to die.

Some areas perform well - Architecture comes to mind. Many perform poorly and that seems to be acceptable. The information management group is probably the least skilled and appears to be a dreadful place to work - poor leadership, bad tool selection, runs by the "just rig it and make it work" principle.

Huntington made an effort to take our .NET development area 'Agile'. But the organization couldn't understand something that wasn't command and control and most of the truly talented left for other, more progressive organizations. Twelve month 'Projects' that last for 3, 4, or 5 years and never finish are the norm for any major development efforts. It seems that instead of changing the burnt out light bulbs, Huntington IT is more comfortable declaring darkness the acceptable standard and patting themselves on the back for a successful implementation of Darkness 1.0

If you want to grow a career - go somewhere else. If you are at the end of your career and are comfortable coasting through the last couple years without making waves, it's absolutely the place for you.

Good Company with minimal pay

Former Employee - AML Investigator in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - AML Investigator in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free Blue Jackets tickets 1-2 times per year.

Cons

Work-Life balance is stressed, but not realistic. Management varies from very knowledgeable to clueless.

Unless You Need a Job....Stay Away

Former Employee - Investments in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Investments in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Brand name in the three State area that is recognized

Cons

Too many layers of management for a bank this size. Low salary

Keep focusing on the client experience and you'll be fine.

Long term employee with over 10 years in and the experience has gotten worse amd worse.

Current Employee - Dissatisfied Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Dissatisfied Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people (low level from district managers down) really care but upper management doesn't give a single thought to the lives of the employees that have been duped into believing that this is the way that banking should be done.

Cons

There is a tyrant working amoung us. They talk about the shadow of the leader, but the leader knows nothing about what really happens at his own bank because he has scared every employee from his own Sr Executive committee down so much that noone has the balls to tell him what he needs to hear. He and his "plans" have done nothing to further the position of his shareholders and infact has demolished what was once a wonderful place to work. He needs to admit to himself that he doesn't know how to make real revenue and that expense cutting is not the way to pull the wool over the eyes of Wall Street. Wall Street can not be tricked, especially by an egomaniac that believes that his way is always best.

Upper management has no clue what is really going on. They will see a mass exiduce soon and then wonder why. Work lide balance means nothing to them. They have no clue what a relationship bank is because they are product pushers that have pissed off their own customers by doing just that. They claim to "do the right thing" but don't follow it themselves. This CEO has done nothing but erode the very fiber of this bank as well as the feeling of truly doing the right thing for their customers and colleagues. The sales force is beat down on a daily basis after doing evetything they can. Steve has ruined everything good about this company and the shareholders should have been rewarded by now but haven't with this small time $9 stock. Start listening to your people rather than ruling them like Vobst did from his ivory tower many yeard ago. Steve has given up every bit of fee income by painting us into a corner with 24hr grace making anyone who might have purchased us years ago run because they can not win with this bank. Who can buy us now and roll back this ridiculous 24 hr grace and win? What a mess! Sr Management does not get rid of those doing nothing, they keep shifting bodies around like they will just do better in another place but really don't have the experience to actually change anything. The shifting seems to be so that Steve can stay the tyrant, OCD, kibg that his insecure little mind needs until he has completely destroyed a once profitable mid weat banking empire. Congratulations for getting what you wanted, far too much money to slap a coat of paint on the place and thinking it will make a difference.

Great Company-Wrong Mid Management

Former Employee - Underwriter in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunities - Diversity - training. The Training cannot be beat , their team is right on top of all changes.

Cons

The salary is less than desirable. The mid-level managers need to be coached on compassion and retaining employees.

It would be great to recognize your lower level employees - Awards - Banquets - increased salary would be beneficial.

A lot of forward momentum

Current Employee - Officer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Officer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong leadership at the top and a deep bench of future leaders ready to take on key roles like CEO and President of Retail.

Cons

I'm tired. Really tired. The hours we put in are long and packed full of productivity. Whatever happened to "banker's hours"? LOL

Keep aiming high.