Huntington National Bank

Be The First To
Add Photos

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour

Steve Steinour

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, and high starting pay than most entry level positions"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Great Benefits, 401k plan, nice monthly bonus"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long Hours, Heavy on Sales Results, Pressure to Perform"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Some disconnect between company vision of employees and upper management"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Six of one, half dozen...

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf you are lucky enough to work for a supportive manager, you will succeed. Most people there are willing to help you learn and develop your skills, and they generally want you to do well.

ConsThere are going to be people that will treat you poorly, and it will be apparent that they are unsuccessful at Huntington.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to hire fully qualified people to lead the company,instead of bringing on friends to fill key roles.

It has definitely been like walking on eggshells at times. Plenty of room for advancement if you're a brown noser.

Account Relationship Associate (Current Employee)
Holland, MI

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

ProsGreat PTO time. After working here for five years I received four weeks of PTO on top of the already paid holidays off. I also get a matching 401K. The insurance isn't the best but I do have it and it works. Its not horrible, just not awesome. Some departments are very relaxed while others definitely have high expectations and pressure. Overall a good place to get a "good start." I started as a teller and was able to work my way up. It takes a little bit of time but one of the few places you can start with a high school diploma and then work your way up thru experience.

ConsSometimes others will be offered promotions based on them being a "favorite." It is rare that it is ever really because of skill. Also, do not complain often to HR. You will be like the poster child that wants or is asking to get fired. If they know you are complaining, they will try to make you want to leave or make you resent every working day you are there. Integrity? Throw it out the window. There's none of that here.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good look at the dedicated employees that follow the rules, day in day out. Start looking beyond that cleavaged filled shirt. If you're downsizing, observe for a couple weeks and you'll realize who needs to go quickly. Get rid of the slower ones, the socializers. There are people who would actually be able to do the work with just a little bit more pay. Don't pay the slackers. Luckily, with the new CEO this is probably the way he is leading us toward anyway.

Hard Work

Personal Banker (Current Employee)
Mentor, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

ProsExcellent products, chances to earn bonuses, locations nice, coworkers and customer base nice.
Benefits are pretty good.

ConsLong hours, stretching staff to cover hours is difficult. Micromanagement with regard to sales, and behaviors. It is their way or else, and their way is NOT always the best in every situation. Give us
credit for knowing how to react to different situations.
Computers need to run quicker. Always in a rush, expected to do 5 or 6 things at the same time.
Have customer engagement scores based on each employee not the branch as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to concentrate on quality and not quantity all the time. Happy customers stay and refer their
friends. It is not always about selling wigits. Sunday hours need to stop and Saturday is also too long.

Cliques Are Us

Peon Paper Pusher (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

ProsIt isn't volunteering. You get paid. Benefits are descent. Most coworkers are pleasant. Community volunteering with disadvantaged youths in Ohio.

ConsWork place bullying, Micro-managing, poor communication, inconsistent job responsibility changes, poor listening skills displayed by management. Unwilling to answer questions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from the leadership class you have taken. Certificate means nothing without putting what you have been taught into action.

It's a job, but beware of cuts.

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

ProsThe PTO is great. It's hard to get fired from there.

ConsWhere it's hard to get fired, on the contrary it's easy to get laid off. Merit raises do not reflect a difference between top and bottom performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe IT department's service is not as good as it was when it was in house. Bring it back in house so you can control the level of service. IT employees will feel a part of the company, which would result in better performance.

Rough at times, but paid the bills

Teller (Current Employee)
Paulding, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

ProsPlaces for advancements inside the branch

ConsNot a competitive pay rate. Did too much work for the little amount of rate I was paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not let merger bank managers run the office under Huntington rules because they still refer back to the old bank that merged with Huntington

Great work environment, everyone was helpful, just low pay for interns and not enough directly related to your education

Software Security Process Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Huntington National Bank

ProsGreat work place, eveyone was helpful, friendly and I would recommend this company to anyone.

ConsNot enough study related work experiences.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the interns experience that is directly related to their studies, not administrative work.

Cronyism is the King of the Land

DDA Collector (Current Employee)
Warren, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

ProsPeople, 401k, Co-Workers, Discounted Interest Rates on Loans.

ConsMiddle Management, Cronyism, Friends Get Promoted, No Plan to advance

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace Management in Collections Department

Not bad

Beavercreek, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

ProsGreat hours, decent pay for no previous experience.

ConsMiddle management has been there forever and does just enough to get by.

Extreme micromanagement

Personal Banker (Former Employee)
Portage, MI

I worked at Huntington National Bank

ProsHuntington's branding, product offering, and commitment to service really is geared to be in the best interest of the customer. Their 24-hour grace program is really outstanding, and they've marketed it very well.

ConsThey need to reevaluate their sales culture. In 2010, it took an incredibly aggressive twist, with little thought given to the ability to attain the goals laid out for individuals and branches. The drastic increase in goals was subsidized by the ideal that the money spent on rebranding and other corporate initiatives would drive more business to the office (which happened, but on an incredibly small level--not nearly enough to justify the drastic goal increase.) There is an extremely micromanaged sales process that is more cumbersome than effective. Their utilization of CRM is well-intentioned, but incredibly flawed. Termination is far too swift, and can happen as early as a month after getting written up.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is an obvious detachment between upper management and customer-facing employees. Ease up on the sales requirements, and get to the root of why bankers are struggling with performance before terminating them.

Worked for Huntington National Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Huntington National Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Huntington National Bank CEO Steve Steinour. All 174 reviews posted anonymously by Huntington National Bank employees.