Huntington National Bank

Be The First To
Add Photos

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour

Steve Steinour

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, and high starting pay than most entry level positions"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Great Benefits, 401k plan, nice monthly bonus"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long Hours, Heavy on Sales Results, Pressure to Perform"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Some disconnect between company vision of employees and upper management"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Don't Be Seduced By False Promises.

Retail Banking (Former Employee)

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsCompetitive salary, paid time off

ConsLong hours, total lack of flexibility of schedule despite extended hours, cutthroat greedy management, goals that are not realistic given market presence, no respect for employees as people, lack of work/life balance, excessively high turnover. More interested in coaching out than coaching up.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut some time and effort into training your managers to manage effectively. Only "managing" reports and charts does not lead to success. Perhaps now would be a good time to investigate the extremely high number of firings in a given district and the rate of turnover.
The culture at Huntington does everything possible to discourage enthusiasm and passion for the job. You will succeed here if you are a soulless selling machine, capable of convincing 80 year old widows that a long term loan is in their best interest. If you are interested in selling with integrity and building relationships you are in the wrong place! It would be in the organization's best interest to reevaluate what and how you compensate employees in the form performance incentives. Practice what you preach and "Do the right thing".

Huntington insurance - Horrible place to work-do not go there

Accountant (Former Employee)
Bowling Green, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTuition reimbursement if you stay two years after payout

ConsManagement at Huntington Insurance is horrible. Higher management is not educated and run the place more like a labor plant then a professional atmosphere. Most of the people who work here really don't want to be and are waiting to retire. Management spy's on all of its employees and will even go into the restrooms to keep tags on you. It's insane.

This is not a good place for someone looking to advance your career, more of just a paycheck and then move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue.

Not fun.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for less than a year

ProsOffer people from all backgrounds a chance to get into banking at a decent salary.

ConsSince stating less than 12 months ago, the incentive plan has been changed 4 times. Just when everyone figures out how to get their bonus, they change it again, lowering what everyone can make. The I store branches have horrible hours and a turnover rate over 50%. Upper management has no clue what they are doing. They seem to put bandages on the problems rather than fix the problem. Back office support is horrible and technology is 3-5 years behind other institutions. I would stay away from this company as the stress level that they place on you to meet the unrealistic goals is overwhelming.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your front line employees and get ideas of what they need to be successful so that you can provide the proper back office support. When problems are brought to your attention, fix them, don't just wait for the employees to leave.

Dying but not dead yet.

Section Manager, IT Audit (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCustomer focused organization and associates were generally helpful and want to do a good job. Good customer service and retail operations.

ConsHuntington struggles in the market place with too many banks in their footprint. Senior management focused on cutting costs and associates. Limited career advancement opportunities. Question Huntington's ability to survive with limited asset and revenue growth.

Trust

Trust Fund Specialist (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe only positive I can see is from learning this side of the business.

ConsEverything. The systems are old and very outdated. Management is poor and the people running the place have no idea what they are doing. There is no promotional opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all the managers in this group and start over with people who know what they are doing. I should not know more than my manager and lead.

Good place to work.

In-store Banking Specialist (Current Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsGood salary and insurance. Lots of help and offers from HR to get assistance you need.

ConsNot alot of movement in the first few years of working there.

Don't sell your soul...They pay well but are bloodsucking leeches"

Store Banking Manager (Current Employee)
East Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsSalaries are above the industry standard, health benefits that are offered are better than what is offered at othe companies.

ConsHigh turnover, terrible management in the In-Store environment, long hours, if you're in management say good bye to your family and friends. They preach a work life balance, but in actuality want you there every minute that the branch is open. They will lie to get you to join the company and make promises they never intend to follow through on. District managers in the instore world are inept in all facets of the job. The brow beat until you quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like human beings not work horses. Take a long hard look at your "work/life balance" statement because the instore district managers do not follow that in the least bit. Re-evaluate the structure in the instore environment, there is no need to be open 12 hours a day when you have traditional offices within a mile open at the same time. You are paying too much in overhead expenses with your extended hours and it seems fiscally irresponsible.

Vice President

Vice President - IT (Former Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat technology. That is it.

ConsHorrible, uncaring, blood sucking senior and executive management.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit and get leadership that wouldn't sell their mothers for an extra penny on quarterly EPS.

Good Company

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

ProsGood company, good colleagues, nice products

ConsCompensation a little off. Benefits High

Bad area for Huntington

Teller Team Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBetter Benefits than most companies.

ConsThe branches in the Mahoning Valley in Ohio do not follow the same company rules as the rest of Huntington.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't force your employees to party with you and then reprimand them when they won't.

Worked for Huntington National Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Huntington National Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Huntington National Bank CEO Steve Steinour. All 174 reviews posted anonymously by Huntington National Bank employees.