Huntington National Bank

Updated October 19, 2014
2.8

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour
Steve Steinour

Pros
  • work-life balance was very good; great benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Growing company, good environment to work in (depending on your job), great benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a huge issue at HNB - IT employees normally work 60 (in 10 reviews)

• Work long hours sometimes 6-10 days in a row (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Unless You Need a Job....Stay Away

Former Employee - Investments in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Investments in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Brand name in the three State area that is recognized

Cons

Too many layers of management for a bank this size. Low salary

Keep focusing on the client experience and you'll be fine.

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Good benefits and flexible hours

Cons

Working on Saturday and Sunday

Intern

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Troy, MI

I worked at Huntington National Bank as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The culture has a phenomenal work life balance. The company is very helpful for interns in terms of allowing them to work with other departments to find their niche. Colleagues were friendly and customer service was awesome. Seminars are always encouraged to keep employees afloat of the ever-changing work force.

Cons

The specific location that I was at only have two student interns, which was unfortunate. We never met or spoke with one another like the other interns at other locations.

Create the same intern program across the board.

Promising Career Spoiled by Insecure Senior Manager

Former Employee - Corporate Manager
    Former Employee - Corporate Manager

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For the most part, I enjoyed working for Huntington and the role I had for the first couple of years. The two people who hired me were wonderfully smart, no-nonsense people and provided me with a variety of "stretch" and growth opportunities. I also loved the line of business I supported: I learned a lot about the business, I developed great working relationships and I gained exposure to and experience with the top ranks. I believed I could make a difference and build upon my career at this company.

Cons

Shortly after I started working at Huntington, changes began taking place under a new but temporary group head after the previous manager had been fired. Within a little more than a year, I had five managers and "survived" several reorgs. One of my managers left, the person who replaced him quit five months into her job, one of my colleagues got fired and the "temporary" group head accepted the role permanently, creating more of a sense of uncertainty and instability for the team. The group head had never managed a team, nor had she had experience in one of the main fields of the position. It was a mismatch through and through and affected the team in a negative way. Finally, after yet more reorganization of the team and her hiring my replacement without good reason or me knowing, I tried to stick it out until I was forced to resign.

For such a small but mighty team within the bank that continues to try to establish itself and produce outstanding work, consider the drastic changes that have taken place within a short period of time and really look into why. After firing a senior leader, is it wise to put someone in that position who has no leadership or key field experience, poor communications skills and multiple people under her leave and never challenge her decisions out of fear she'll put them out of a job next? Further, with the enormous effort put on the values of the company - living the values, embedding the values into everything you do - isn't it strange that teams exist within the bank that don't embody good teamwork, inclusion, communication, etc., skills? Finally, hold onto and elevate top talent. To do so, also rely on the feedback of co-workers, business partners, etc. Something isn't right in the upper circle when there is mistrust and insecurity breeding to the point that top-notch colleagues are either getting fired or having to resign.

Store banking specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Decent pay in comparison to other banks; starts out with a lot of paid time off

Cons

Open 7 days a week; unrealistic goals

Check in with workers to uncover oases with management

Long term employee with over 10 years in and the experience has gotten worse amd worse.

Current Employee - Dissatisfied Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Dissatisfied Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people (low level from district managers down) really care but upper management doesn't give a single thought to the lives of the employees that have been duped into believing that this is the way that banking should be done.

Cons

There is a tyrant working amoung us. They talk about the shadow of the leader, but the leader knows nothing about what really happens at his own bank because he has scared every employee from his own Sr Executive committee down so much that noone has the balls to tell him what he needs to hear. He and his "plans" have done nothing to further the position of his shareholders and infact has demolished what was once a wonderful place to work. He needs to admit to himself that he doesn't know how to make real revenue and that expense cutting is not the way to pull the wool over the eyes of Wall Street. Wall Street can not be tricked, especially by an egomaniac that believes that his way is always best.

Upper management has no clue what is really going on. They will see a mass exiduce soon and then wonder why. Work lide balance means nothing to them. They have no clue what a relationship bank is because they are product pushers that have pissed off their own customers by doing just that. They claim to "do the right thing" but don't follow it themselves. This CEO has done nothing but erode the very fiber of this bank as well as the feeling of truly doing the right thing for their customers and colleagues. The sales force is beat down on a daily basis after doing evetything they can. Steve has ruined everything good about this company and the shareholders should have been rewarded by now but haven't with this small time $9 stock. Start listening to your people rather than ruling them like Vobst did from his ivory tower many yeard ago. Steve has given up every bit of fee income by painting us into a corner with 24hr grace making anyone who might have purchased us years ago run because they can not win with this bank. Who can buy us now and roll back this ridiculous 24 hr grace and win? What a mess! Sr Management does not get rid of those doing nothing, they keep shifting bodies around like they will just do better in another place but really don't have the experience to actually change anything. The shifting seems to be so that Steve can stay the tyrant, OCD, kibg that his insecure little mind needs until he has completely destroyed a once profitable mid weat banking empire. Congratulations for getting what you wanted, far too much money to slap a coat of paint on the place and thinking it will make a difference.

Trainers say one thing the job is actually another.

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at Huntington National Bank part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bank retail branch hours, PTO and paid holidays are nice.

Cons

Stressful work environment. Not enough time for mentors to actually mentor because of the busy branch. Possitive first week but the was let down once I started the job because of the lack of training and being pushed in right away. Pros do not out weigh cons. I couldn't stay there.

Company statements are goos but follow through with that respect and care to the teller level, especially first time tellers.

Doing More with Less, and Less, and Less......

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Work environment seemed relaxed compared to other banks I've worked at. Management seems to be sincere about the bank's "Do the Right Thing" mantra with regard to customers.

Cons

Top heavy org structure - layer upon layer of middle and upper level management. Worker bee pay and benefits seem to lag similar sized financial entities.

Banking is tough right now - easing back a bit on the cost reduction onslaught could go a long way toward gaining employees' respect and loyalty.

Good Company

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Immediate Managers
    Flexibility
    Good Core Values

Cons

No advancement opportunities
    Communication between departments

Unprofessional and unethical

Former Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Bethel Park, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Bethel Park, PA

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None. There are zero pros to working at Huntington bank.

Cons

Cliques in management, deceit, back stabbing and theft

Resign and start fresh