Huntington National Bank

Updated August 28, 2014

2.8

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour
Steve Steinour

Pros
  • great work/life balance for my family (in 6 reviews)

• Management was very personable, everyone was a team player, good benefits and perks (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work long hours sometimes 6-10 days in a row (in 16 reviews)

• Work/Life balance is a huge issue at HNB - IT employees normally work 60 (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Skills Coach

Current Employee - Coach  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Coach in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

I been there 2 yrs and I have liked it a lot they have worked with me on medical issues and did everything they could to help. The past yr I feel like management is like family.

Cons

Very low pay for a high stress job. Sales incentive is a joke the only reason anyone tries to sell is to get off the phone.

Let people roll over vacation time, Really talk to middle management not upper yes men. When rolling out new system take your time to make sure it works instead of just rolling it out and seeing if it works or not.

good work-life balance

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Okay place to work if you have good managers

Cons

You could sometimes be over-worked.

Great customers in a limited market

Former Employee - Instore Personal Banker  in  Middlefield, OH
    Former Employee - Instore Personal Banker in Middlefield, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are great. There is always an opportunity to help customers

Cons

There is high pressure for revenue

Develop and support your people. Recognize effort put forth on the company's behalf not just if you fill all of your buckets

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great colleagues! Mediocre Management

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Colleagues are hardworking dedicated people who care about customers and each other. Company values strong customer service but lacks the technology and drive to deliver it consistently.

Cons

Executive and middle managers consistently act out of fear. Executive and middle management are filled with ruthless, mean spirited people who are so afraid of the CEO that they act irrationally and unpredictably.

Good Starting Point

Former Employee - Investment Assistant  in  New Castle, PA
    Former Employee - Investment Assistant in New Castle, PA

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company offered many chances for employees to have first chance at job postings

Cons

Low pay, and bad management lead me to look for employment elsewhere. Management accuses employees of errors as if they are criminals rather than asking for what happened.

Hire competent managers, don't just promote from the "good old boys" club.

Huntington had the potential to be a great employer, but they fell short.

Current Employee - Universal Banker  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Universal Banker in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people I worked with were amazing and I formed many close relationships. They offer great benefits and there are many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Policies and expectations change almost constantly. I was fired from my position for violating a policy that they had never informed me of. I filed for unemployment and they denied it for weeks saying that I was aware of the policy that I had violated. In the end, they had no proof that they had ever informed me of the policy change. I have heard of many similar cases from other people who have been fired from Huntington. Their expectations of their employees is inconsistent and makes for a very unstable work environment.

Please be clear with your employees what their expectations are and work with them when they don't line up with what previous managers have expected, because there will be huge discrepancies.

Great place to work

Pros

If you know upper management you have it made when it comes to promotions and raises.

Cons

No pension plan it was frozen December 2013. benefits changed to where the employee is spending more out of pocket expenses to save the company money

It is the little people who is the back bone of the company. You need to make benefits more affordable.

Great bank for the customers, not too great for employees

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

Although this largely depends on the management, the schedule is flexible within reason and there are genuine efforts being made to promote nice work/life balance.
    Huntington's products are great and there is a genuine feel that the company truly believes in looking out for their customers. Same can not be said for most of the other larger banks.

Cons

Turnover on the retail side is pretty bad and it isn't hard to see why. Huntington does not seem to be concerned with retaining talent. Rather then putting resources into retaining top talent, Huntington makes great efforts to increase their market share, regardless of the cost. Merit increases in retail are scarce, while the management's stance is that employees should focus on selling more and relying on incentive payouts. The biggest problem with this is that incentive payout opportunities decrease on the bi-yearly basis, while goals and expectations keep going up. Additionally, there is a lack of focus on professional development of employees and a huge lack of promotional opportunities. Huntington tends to give preference to hiring candidates from outside, rather than promoting from within.

Focus on driving down the retention and development of colleagues. Happy and motivated employees will surely sell much better than disgruntled ones. Focus more on celebrating successes rather just pushing for more $$$s

Room to Move up, Small Business Feel

Former Employee - Store Banking Specialist  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Store Banking Specialist in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

I had a great experience working for Huntington, although I was only there a short while. The training offered was helpful and extensive. I felt as though my manager truly cared about my progress and future with the business. Benefits were great and I felt valued as an individual.

Cons

I cannot speak to working as a banker in a stand-alone store, because my experience was at an in-store branch at Giant Eagle. The most unfavorable component of this position is 'aisle time.' The company wants employees to spend time pushing checking accounts and other banking services / products while customers are doing their grocery shopping. It's awkward, intrusive, and feels obnoxious.

Setting up a cart at the front of the store or throughout the store gives employees a place to feel grounded and less uncomfortable, rather than expecting them to push banking services / products to customers shopping the aisles.

modeler

Current Employee - Senior Modeler  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Modeler in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

good work life balance
    good location
    PTO package is good

Cons

nothing particularly bad some politics

Worked for Huntington National Bank? Contribute to the Community!