Huntington National Bank Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
305 reviews filtered by

Good Company

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Immediate Managers
    Flexibility
    Good Core Values

Cons

No advancement opportunities
    Communication between departments

Mixed feelings

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Working with the clients and staff.

Cons

Your work/life balance is awful. Stinks that In-Store is open EVERY holiday, with no business.

Unless You Need a Job....Stay Away

Former Employee - Investments in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Investments in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brand name in the three State area that is recognized

Cons

Too many layers of management for a bank this size. Low salary

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the client experience and you'll be fine.

5. Good Company with minimal pay

Former Employee - AML Investigator in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - AML Investigator in Columbus, OH

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Blue Jackets tickets 1-2 times per year.

Cons

Work-Life balance is stressed, but not realistic. Management varies from very knowledgeable to clueless.

Store banking specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Decent pay in comparison to other banks; starts out with a lot of paid time off

Cons

Open 7 days a week; unrealistic goals

Advice to Management

Check in with workers to uncover oases with management

Promising Career Spoiled by Insecure Senior Manager

Former Employee - Corporate Manager
    Former Employee - Corporate Manager

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part, I enjoyed working for Huntington and the role I had for the first couple of years. The two people who hired me were wonderfully smart, no-nonsense people and provided me with a variety of "stretch" and growth opportunities. I also loved the line of business I supported: I learned a lot about the business, I developed great working relationships and I gained exposure to and experience with the top ranks. I believed I could make a difference and build upon my career at this company.

Cons

Shortly after I started working at Huntington, changes began taking place under a new but temporary group head after the previous manager had been fired. Within a little more than a year, I had five managers and "survived" several reorgs. One of my managers left, the person who replaced him quit five months into her job, one of my colleagues got fired and the "temporary" group head accepted the role permanently, creating more of a sense of uncertainty and instability for the team. The group head had never managed a team, nor had she had experience in one of the main fields of the position. It was a mismatch through and through and affected the team in a negative way. Finally, after yet more reorganization of the team and her hiring my replacement without good reason or me knowing, I tried to stick it out until I was forced to resign.

Advice to Management

For such a small but mighty team within the bank that continues to try to establish itself and produce outstanding work, consider the drastic changes that have taken place within a short period of time and really look into why. After firing a senior leader, is it wise to put someone in that position who has no leadership or key field experience, poor communications skills and multiple people under her leave and never challenge her decisions out of fear she'll put them out of a job next? Further, with the enormous effort put on the values of the company - living the values, embedding the values into everything you do - isn't it strange that teams exist within the bank that don't embody good teamwork, inclusion, communication, etc., skills? Finally, hold onto and elevate top talent. To do so, also rely on the feedback of co-workers, business partners, etc. Something isn't right in the upper circle when there is mistrust and insecurity breeding to the point that top-notch colleagues are either getting fired or having to resign.

Trainers say one thing the job is actually another.

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at Huntington National Bank part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bank retail branch hours, PTO and paid holidays are nice.

Cons

Stressful work environment. Not enough time for mentors to actually mentor because of the busy branch. Possitive first week but the was let down once I started the job because of the lack of training and being pushed in right away. Pros do not out weigh cons. I couldn't stay there.

Advice to Management

Company statements are goos but follow through with that respect and care to the teller level, especially first time tellers.

9. Long term employee with over 10 years in and the experience has gotten worse amd worse.

Current Employee - Dissatisfied Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Dissatisfied Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people (low level from district managers down) really care but upper management doesn't give a single thought to the lives of the employees that have been duped into believing that this is the way that banking should be done.

Cons

There is a tyrant working amoung us. They talk about the shadow of the leader, but the leader knows nothing about what really happens at his own bank because he has scared every employee from his own Sr Executive committee down so much that noone has the balls to tell him what he needs to hear. He and his "plans" have done nothing to further the position of his shareholders and infact has demolished what was once a wonderful place to work. He needs to admit to himself that he doesn't know how to make real revenue and that expense cutting is not the way to pull the wool over the eyes of Wall Street. Wall Street can not be tricked, especially by an egomaniac that believes that his way is always best.

Advice to Management

Upper management has no clue what is really going on. They will see a mass exiduce soon and then wonder why. Work lide balance means nothing to them. They have no clue what a relationship bank is because they are product pushers that have pissed off their own customers by doing just that. They claim to "do the right thing" but don't follow it themselves. This CEO has done nothing but erode the very fiber of this bank as well as the feeling of truly doing the right thing for their customers and colleagues. The sales force is beat down on a daily basis after doing evetything they can. Steve has ruined everything good about this company and the shareholders should have been rewarded by now but haven't with this small time $9 stock. Start listening to your people rather than ruling them like Vobst did from his ivory tower many yeard ago. Steve has given up every bit of fee income by painting us into a corner with 24hr grace making anyone who might have purchased us years ago run because they can not win with this bank. Who can buy us now and roll back this ridiculous 24 hr grace and win? What a mess! Sr Management does not get rid of those doing nothing, they keep shifting bodies around like they will just do better in another place but really don't have the experience to actually change anything. The shifting seems to be so that Steve can stay the tyrant, OCD, kibg that his insecure little mind needs until he has completely destroyed a once profitable mid weat banking empire. Congratulations for getting what you wanted, far too much money to slap a coat of paint on the place and thinking it will make a difference.

10. In store banker

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

Pros

It is a lovely company to work for. There is also a lot of room to advance

Cons

The hours can be challenging

11. Loved my customers

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Hours at the time were great

Cons

Uniforms and change of hours

Advice to Management

promote more