Huntsman Cancer Institute

1. Lab Aid

Current Employee - Lab Aid
    Current Employee - Lab Aid

I have been working at Huntsman Cancer Institute part-time

Pros

Very friendly, good learning experience

Cons

The pay could be a bit higher but it is still pretty good

2. Office Assistant

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer and General Administration Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Huntsman Cancer Institute (More than a year)

Pros

I get to work closely with smart, motivated and inspiring people who are working hard to cure cancer. Great work environment and friendly people.

Cons

I have no relevant complaints about working at the Huntsman Cancer Institute.

3. Great Organization

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- A great organization that provides meaningful help to so man people. - Offers great retirement, time off, and tuition benefits. - Provides many opportunities for growth and promotion.

Cons

- The atmosphere can occasionally be painful when patients have bad results. - Often time the employees can become neglected due to the patient care.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

5. An amazing experience

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time

Pros

Benefits, flexible schedule, opportunity to advance

Cons

Salary is low comparative to comparable positions elsewhere.

6. Good experience!

Former Employee - Study Coordinator
    Former Employee - Study Coordinator

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Structured with significant brand recognition in the area. Pretty awesome benefits. Training was good, though much of that was an extremely considerate and patient trainer. It's a beautiful place to work.

Cons

fairly stressful and parking is an absolute joke! Not an easy place to commute to due to it's lack of access to major freeways.

Advice to Management

honestly, I felt they were doing a pretty good job. Perhaps a bit more focus on the people as people, specifically employees, might be a helpful suggestion.

7. Great place to work

Former Employee - Lab Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Lab Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation is acceptable, work life balance is great. Your experience will depend greatly on what lab you work in. Most people don't work very long hours here so if you're into that, this is your place. Fantastic benefits.

Cons

Promotions are probably hard to come by. I cant imagine that this is among the centers that publish the most. Most people don't work very long hours so if you're looking for an environment where people work a lot and try hard to publish, this is not your place.

Advice to Management

Hire PIs that actually work on cancer. Seems like a good percentage of PIs are not focused on cancer.

8. Can be a good place, Could be a whole lot better

Former Employee - Scientist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Scientist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Plenty of space, good if you study genomics, friendly people for the most part. If you like a nice work/life balance, most people are roughly 9-5.

Cons

Overly bureaucratic, if you don't study genomics there isn't much else going on and most of the people doing other studies are leaving.

Advice to Management

Get rid of most of the inefficient admin staff. The leadership on the science end of things is completely focusing on studying the genomics of cancer. It is also concerning that there is a lot of open, unused science bench space and yet there is an expansion of the building going on. While I understand that funds were donated for this effort, giving some funds to scientists that are in need (due to the poor academic funding environment) would be a better use of the money. Progress doesn't happen in unused space.

9. place of dwindling opportunities

Current Employee - Post Doctoral Researcher in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Post Doctoral Researcher in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities to become part of the Huntsman Cancer Institute family- picnics, seminars, employee surveys.

Cons

A lot of the established PI's are leaving the institute. The inexperienced, new investigators are having a difficult time establishing their labs with the little funding available.

10. Inspiring place to work

Pros

Great benefits, great workplace, nice people, great restaurant upstairs. Oodles of beautiful women work here...

Cons

Limited parking options. A bit out of the way to get to work.

11. Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is great and the people are wonderful. I had a lot of fun working there and learned a lot!

Cons

Parking is expensive and difficult to get but public transit is good enough that you can get there easily without a car. I really don't have anything negative to say about this fine establishment

RSS Feed </> Embed