Huntsman Corp

Huntsman Corp Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Huntsman Corp President, CEO, and Director Peter R. Huntsman

Peter R. Huntsman

Pros
  • Do not macro manage and work life balance can be achieve (in 6 reviews)

• Good people in the ranks doing the actual day-to-day work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of Leadership and Teamwork (in 3 reviews)

• limited career development , randam price changes in material make huge difference in business enviroment (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company

ProsVery good people, good culture, work life balance.

ConsVery less training initiatives, should improve upon the employee induction and development.

Beware of culture established by IT leadership

Senior IT Manager (Former Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsGood people in the ranks doing the actual day-to-day work. Great environment outside of the IT department. Very reasonable benefits. Great work location if you live on north side of town.

ConsThe most senior IT leadership is inexperienced and untrusting of all but select few insiders, who non-surprisingly, also primarily seem to consist of people with limited experience -- particularly IT experience outside of Huntsman. Business not engaged with IT, and as a result, leadership problems are not transparent outside of IT. Cost metrics are all that matter -- no concern about customer satisfaction, quality, or performance. There is a clear environment of intimidation, particularly toward those who question the status quo -- even if they are trying to bring about improvement. Order of the day -- keep your head low, don't question leadership, collect your paycheck, and survive another day without being belittled. Be a yes man, and compliment leadership regularly for their genius..and you'll survive fine. Make a recommendation on how to mature or improve IT performance, and you'll be brow beat to the door very soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing a leader is about hiring talented people, always improving, taking advice from others, giving credit to others, enabling your team, and inspiring others through your vision, commitment, having humility, and integrity. Today, you (and you know who 'you' are) operate exactly opposite of this...and that is a problem.

Great location and at a high level a good company to work for

IT Staff Member (Former Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsAs mentioned, it's a great location. Friendly atmosphere and overall great working environment. The businesses are agile and able to adapt quickly to market changes. The company is throwing efforts to make the workplace even more welcoming. Huntsman itself is doing well and has a great future ahead.

ConsCost savings initiatives are understood but "quick" decisions have cost many long time staff members their positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff has a whole seems to be overwhelmed leading to bad decisions and lowered morale.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Buyer

ProsGood environment
    Good amount of work load
    Learning opportunities
    Good people
    Have Starbucks
    Have offices

ConsSalary is low
    Very tight company specially in the purchasing department.
    No promotions as promised
    Many older people so not much advance on technology and work process
    There are no trainings

Awesome family, unfortunately values not always reflected at local levels.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOwnership, Huntsman family, strong financially

ConsLocal mgmt not always in line with core values of company. Makes a real difference what location you are in.

Advice to Senior ManagementStronger emphasis on internal growth and development especially from within technical ranks. When most mid level leadership coming in from outside thats a problem.

Working for Huntsman

Human Resources (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsGreat management, I love the people I work with, The on boarding process was a smooth process. I think its the best place to work

ConsI have nothing to say bad about the company. Huntsman is a great place to work and I would recommend it to all.

Overall a good place to work.

Senior Chemical Technician (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsGreat working conditions in a rather modern facility. Cafeteria on site. Located within 3 miles of Interstate 45.

ConsManagement is somewhat directionless but is working on improvement. Lack of advancement within the Advanced Materials division. Other divisions seem not so bad. Pay is somewhat below average for the area.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen the purse strings. With Exon and Shell moving in to the area, people will be inclined to test the water for new opportunities.

I really enjoy working for this company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsGreat family values, wonderful benefits, annual bonuses, great overall culture. I never had any issues working from home to be with sick children or taking time off as needed.

ConsIf you come in with a low salary, it's nearly impossible to get pay that is equivalent to coworkers doing identical work.

A terrible environment in customer service

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsIt is a well known company in the field, and that's all.

ConsThere is much back-stabbing or position fighting. The pay is below average minus not having a bonus structure. There is little opportunity for advancement.

The environment is terrible, with managers that lack any experience in the field. Worse, human resources don't even protect employees from the misgivings in customer service. There is no one that will listen, so these terrible managers behave like queens.

I don't understand why anyone would work for Huntsman versus any other petrochemical company. But the biggest turn off is that Huntsman does not seem be interested in identifying and retaining the right talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompetitive organizations don't pay bargain bin salaries if they want to retain quality employees. Focus more on long-term company goals and growth than playing children games to manage performance.

Transforming into a single company with a single mindset

ProsGood benefits package
    Base pay in line with peer companies
    Overall its a good company to work for if you have experience and are not looking to grow very far - many openings for management positions are filled from outside

ConsThe career development process is improving but still lacks maturity and place more emphasis on self management
    Its a large company but cross divisional movement is not very common so opportunities are limited.

Worked for Huntsman Corp? Contribute to the Community!