Huron Consulting Group

Huron Consulting Group Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth

James H. (Jim) Roth

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is definitely one of the top in the nation(in 30 reviews)

• Met some great people at the entry level(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (challenge with many traveling consulting jobs I'm sure)(in 20 reviews)

• Which I feel is a reflection of poor upper management(in 10 reviews)

100 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

None

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHuron is a great place to work. Especially the talent in my coworkers and the dedication of my leadership encourages me to stay.

ConsThe compensation and rate of pay could be better and i would be happier if they matched industry standards.

Great people to work with

Healthcare Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPeople are awesome, and leadership is approachable

ConsWorklife balance, heavy feedback culture.

Run Away!

Consultant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTravel was nice, working in hospitals was interesting, you learn a lot, can take your work product to the next level.

ConsEverything. You name it and it is mostly a con. Horrible management. Cronyism. Typical kiss up, kick down management style. Felt like prison.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of 10 or so Managing Directors that are acting like a sea anchor.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

White boys club

Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood work life benefits ,compensation and perks.

ConsTake a look at the board of directors (All white). Take a look at the schools they hire from(Southern Christian schools). This is a white boys club and no amount of pink ribbon, blue ribbon helps. As a POC there have been numerous instances when I have felt racism under the radar. Its not prominent enough to ring alarm bells but the whole attitude would make you understand.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire Mitt Romney and a few more old Arthur Andersen white boys.

Not a real consulting firn

Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosthere was a lot of work and life balance. leadership also solicited feedback from staff to make project better.

ConsVery petty culture. No autonomy at any level. Just as inefficient as the clients we served. Management does not understand how to be real leaders. Client results were never really measured and there was no client accountability for implemented projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork at a real company and learn how to lead and manage staff…most importantly, understand there is a difference. Understand that most experienced hires have more consulting experience than leadership in place as leadership and management are not real consultants.

STAY AWAY! Bi polar leadership w/ napoleon complexes, no work life balance, shifting responsibilities.

Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood standard benefits and vacation time allocated. There are very limited pros. The corporate and healthcare people are very friendly and so is HR. The Legal people and Legal IT are another story. One of the only pros was having your own cubical till they started removing those as well to give you an area of about 5 feet x 5 feet where you literally butted up against your team mate. Another pro was the revolving door, new people would teach you new things, but wouldn't stay long enough because they grew tired of the environment.

ConsLow pay grade comparative to industry standards. Work life balance is not even considered in Legal (as you constantly get alerts all day and all night). Since you are working with Legal, your uptime has to be 100 percent or you will be working from home, at night, in the morning, and on your weekends a lot with no reimbursement of time as comp. You will be on call every 4 weeks, along with having to serve one weekend a month for maintenance which means you really only get 2 weekends a month with your family (even when you are off, you get calls and are expected to respond within 15-30 minutes). Better plan your vacations ahead of time so you can get away from the weekend issues and make sure you have someone to cover you. If you are on projects and you go on vacation/medical leave (even if your manager has updates right before you go) be expected to work during your vacation or at least respond while you are gone. Training is very limited, and the training you do get is on proprietary technology that no one else uses. Tools and access required to fix real world problems are not provided or rather limited to even many Senior level guys.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe transparent with your business owners along with your team members. Failures that happen is because managers/directors do not fix environment when they are notified, not because they don't have the right technology. Set manageable goals, quit making assumptions regarding what people do outside normal business hours (establish that work life balance that HR promotes in their manuals), most importantly treat every employee with respect. Offer training that is outside the proprietary element so that people can further their careers and allow themselves to grow. Get rid of the old way of thinking and the old leaders that do not bring fresh insight, and bring in fresh leadership with stronger values aligned to the Huron values (work life balance) and better execution.

Great culture and great people to work with

Manager - Legal (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCulture, Vacation time, challenging work environment, advancement in career, learning new opportunities

ConsVery top heavy. long working hours and little compensation for hard work. mid/low bonus

Advice to Senior Managementcompetitive salaries arrangement, Huron is not in line with the market.

Solid Doc Review gig.

Document Review (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe best thing about working at Huron was that the hours were extremely flexible and that I was vastly overpaid for how easy my work was. The atmosphere was pleasant enough, there was all the free tea I could drink, and I spent most of 6 months getting caught up on my books on tape.

ConsThere were a lot of really weird people here. The interview process was minimal and it shows.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, honestly. I can't imagine a doc review job could have been much more low-key.

Interesting place to work, supportive upper management and very flexible

Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosflexible, internal opportunities are many

Constraveling to the client weekly sometimes take a toll

Great company, great people.

Director of Operations (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGrowing business, lots of opportunity.

ConsLack of synergy between Practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization -- both Company and employees -- could benefit by providing staffing rotations in different parts of the business.

Worked for Huron Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!