Huron Consulting Group

Huron Consulting Group Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth

James H. (Jim) Roth

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is definitely one of the top in the nation(in 30 reviews)

• Met some great people at the entry level(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (challenge with many traveling consulting jobs I'm sure)(in 20 reviews)

• Which I feel is a reflection of poor upper management(in 10 reviews)

Passionate and Ethically Driven

ProsEveryone is extremely passionate and takes the companies core values very seriously

Cons100% Travel - makes work/life balance challenging

Great company, great people.

Director of Operations (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGrowing business, lots of opportunity.

ConsLack of synergy between Practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization -- both Company and employees -- could benefit by providing staffing rotations in different parts of the business.

Fun people, good work-life balance

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFlexible schedule if you're not on the road. Great office environment - very social!

ConsLong-term travel can be hard, but that is true for any consulting gig.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Legal Services - Opportunity for Growth

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsHuron's Document Review group offers spectacular opportunities for growth for those willing to push for advancement. I was hired from a temporary position as a document reviewer and have been able to work in multiple cities, managing a wide array of review projects, in conjunction with a very strong team.

ConsThe legal services group is small and often client needs can be demanding. While there is an effort to find work-life balance where possible, the job is certainly not the kind that can be ignored when you're not at the office. Being responsive to client needs and project demands takes top priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementHuron's pay and bonus levels often leave something to be desired. Competing companies offering more money are often very attractive. If you're not committed to matching or beating pay elsewhere, it's important to ensure all other employee needs are met.

Great culture in the Portland office

Analyst (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe Portland office doesn't have any of the culture that you might expect in a corporate setting. Jeans are the norm, a makeshift ping pong table, annual snow tubing trips on Mt Hood, and various other additions to work satisfaction. It feels like you're surrounded by people who are smarter than you, but who always have the time to help out or collaborate.

ConsThere are at times expectations of knowledge that you should have, but just that not everybody has at some point picked up. But the training with your coach can help in filling those gaps.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not for me

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI think the benefits are nice.

ConsPromotion does not seem to be measured by contribution; it seems to be determined by if senior management likes the individual.

There are good times and bad.

ProsSome of the people make work enjoyable and relative to Big 4 consulting, you have much more flexibility.

ConsLife Sciences Senior Leadership does not lead and most definitely does not work together...be prepared to deal with politics and games constantly.

Exceptional Consulting Firm

ProsHealthcare expertise & growth opportunities for professionals.

ConsAbility of consultants to move across practices/transition to new industry within the firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to ensure consultants are exposed to Senior Leadership (e.g., Jim Roth, CEO)

Great culture and colleagues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pros: Great work/life balance, working environment, not a ton of travel if in the right group, awesome colleagues, good amount of socials and community service activities to be involved in, fair compensation but not great, interesting work, a lot of responsibility early on in your career.

ConsTough to get in with the right group and do exactly what you want to be doing. That is the nature of a client driven industry though. Promotions, evaluations and in turn compensation can be somewhat political.

Director

ProsGreat culture, challenging work, good benefits

ConsWork life balance (challenge with many traveling consulting jobs I'm sure). Very limited international opportunities.

Worked for Huron Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!