Huron Consulting Group

Huron Consulting Group Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth

James H. (Jim) Roth

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is definitely one of the top in the nation(in 30 reviews)

• Met some great people at the entry level(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (challenge with many traveling consulting jobs I'm sure)(in 20 reviews)

• Which I feel is a reflection of poor upper management(in 10 reviews)

Great for those who no real healthcare experience

Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWorking in different hospitals and team members. Great pay for a 60+ hour week. Great for college students with no knowledge of how a hospital works or the patient relationship.

ConsComing into Huron Consulting, leave any experience/knowledge behind and begin to learn something brand new. Past experience will not be valued and seen as a threat when recommending what was successful once... Process improvement is only based Hurons best practices and methodology, don't challenge it. It's a "club" work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a better way to bring the experienced hires into the consulting role. I was so lost with no help from my management.

Good culture and work/life balance, Difficult to grow and advance

Healthcare Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHuron promotes a fair work/life balance and is respectful of vacation time. They also have excellent benefits (insurance, travel bonus, annual bonus, etc) and generous annual raises. Although you'll work late when you're traveling, they expect reasonable hours when you're off-site (I work on weekends occasionally, but it is always my choice to do so). The annual conference is in Las Vegas and is a grand experience. Analysts are encouraged to take on responsibility both with the client and internally, so there is always opportunity to get involved. They offer meaningful philanthropy and community involvement opportunities. They broadcast and genuinely support their values (integrity, passion, collaboration, pursuit of excellence, and accountability); employees are recognized constantly for exhibiting these values.

ConsCareer advancement is heavily dependent your coach and project assignments. Hard work often isn't rewarded; If you want to advance, it's most important to have support in high places and be on the right project at the right time. Furthermore, the work can become repetitive. Projects tend to be iterations of the same thing over and over again. It is difficult to switch into a different branch of the company (called solution groups) if you don't enjoy what you're doing. Huron's method is highly successful and effective, so you WILL become very good at the specific thing you do; however, if you're looking to work on a variety of healthcare-related issues, Huron may not be a good fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide clear feedback and expectations to employees, consider your employee's career goals and be more supportive of employee growth, continue to promote the Huron values

The IT Department management is bad and they should feel bad.

Analyst\IT Support (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThey emphasize on training and give you options of what training you can take. Generous vacation/PTO days. Very friendly and super nice employees outside of IT.

ConsThe IT department is in disarray and divided.There is the network team and then everyone else.The network team is the worst group of people I've ever had the displeasure of working with. If you ask them question or go to them for help you get eye rolls and short, unhelpful answers.That group has a problem of keeping employees. Which I feel is a reflection of poor upper management.
    Another problem I had when I was working there is that management does not have your back. They will throw you under the bus so fast to make themselves look good to other management. Even the HR person for IT is a waste of office space.The times I went to HR with complaints they were ignored or I was brushed off.
    It was such a weight of my shoulders when I left Huron and found a place were IT management actually cares about you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your regular employees rather than protecting management since your employees are the ones who actually do the work. Start fresh with the network/infrastructure team, starting with the top guy. He is the weak link in the Huron chain.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

(Micro)Management , Culture is good.

Associate (Current Employee) Lake Oswego, OR

ProsGood work culture which varies across teams.

ConsNo autonomy for individual employees, everything comes top down. Cant survive without an ' YES BOSS ' mentality, micro management is a set norm( pee breaks and coffee breaks are carefully observed not wether work done or not). Compensation is based on weaknesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your Employees , plan better so everyone is set for sucess , not setting up agggressive goals and draining down employees physically and mentally

document review Attorney

Document Review Attorney (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsIn & out when you want.

ConsManagement didn't want to be there.

Respectable. Very conservative. Slow growing. A good place to develop some early consulting skills.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits. Friendly people.

ConsOut of the box thinking happens occasionally, but don't expect much execution on those ideas. Get your management consulting experience here and move on to a bigger and better company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMark Hussey should run this company...Very intelligent and insightful person.

Great experience in healthcare consulting straight out of college

Analyst (Former Employee)

Prosimmediate client exposure
    great people
    work from home on Fridays
    rewarded for performance
    great training/development
    little expectation to work over weekends

Consexperience can vary project to project
    not an 8-5 job
    some experience hires have a difficult time adjusting to culture

Awesome place to work

Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery dynamic working environment. Very good exposure to technology and training. The compensation is adequate for the job.

ConsClient work can sometimes be overwhelming (I guess its the same everywhere). This tips the work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone for now.

Great, collaborative environment with plenty of opportunities to develop and grow.

Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCulture - very open and relaxed
    Work/life balance - superb, as far as consulting goes
    People - supportive, friendly, and fun

ConsPractice structure - very isolated
    Compensation - not quite up to par in terms of salary and bonus potential for the industry
    Projects - not always the most interesting

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to cultivate the tight-knit culture even as the firm grows at its currently high rate.

Great coworkers, atmosphere,values, and compensation.

ProsExcellent sense of "team" and wonderful colleagues.

ConsDifferent groups can be very different within the same company

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Huron Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!