Huron Consulting Group Reviews

Reset
3.5
Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth
James H. (Jim) Roth

Pros
  • Work life balance is variable depending on your group; here in Healthcare you can vary from 40-60 easily (in 34 reviews)

• Great place to work, great people (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance does not exist (in 24 reviews)

• Which I feel is a reflection of poor upper management (in 11 reviews)

1. Great company to work for

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group

Pros

Great company cultural; value work-life balance

Cons

90% traveling; some internal politics with moving up to the leadership role

2. Directors

Current Employee - Director in Warren, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Warren, NJ

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible environment, talented colleagues, interesting projects

Cons

Billable hours as primary metric for performance is reductionist, anti-collaborative, and doesn't allow for strategic growth.

Advice to Management

Move away from obsessions with utilization. Build a real collaboration culture. If individual practices find it more profitable to partner with outside vendors than internal practices, then there is a problem.

3. Great company with strong culture and work/life balance

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture. Lots of opportunity to get to know colleagues and grow personally and professionally.

Cons

Not as competitive with pay as competitors. Senior leadership is very male dominant.

Advice to Management

Offer more competitive pay packages to attract and retain top talent.

5. Openness, Communication and Accountability= Transparency

Former Employee - Administrative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative in New York, NY

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to start in the corporate world depending on which field you are interested in. 401(K) Matching program 22 PTO days given at the start of the year Wellness Program

Cons

1. No transparency: There is no openness, communication and accountability, you can easily be thrown under the boss 2. Don't ask, don't tell: A colleague leaves the firm and you find out when you try to email them and they are not listed in the system. 3. Go with the flow atmosphere: In various departments its slow and if you are not proactively hounds people for work you'll sit there for the day doing nothing. 4. No Structure: There is very little implementation of structure, if you want it you will have to create your own. 5. Micro-Management: When you are given a project you have a handful of people telling you to do the same thing five hundred different ways, some breathe down your neck and some just don't care after its said and done.

Advice to Management

When advise is given from support its okay to listen and give direct feedback! Reward your employees for their work that they do, something little goes a long way. You must implement ongoing mandatory training's for managers and directors, there are a lot of people who DO NOT know how to lead their groups.

I've had a great learning experience, but career opportunities depend heavily on your team

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cons

Bad track record of hiring experienced people. They only nail it about 1/4 the time, and they fail miserably 1/4 the time.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop yourselves as leaders. Invest in more training for experienced hires when necessary, and be more selective of those you choose.

7. Fun people, good work-life balance

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule if you're not on the road. Great office environment - very social!

Cons

Long-term travel can be hard, but that is true for any consulting gig.

8. Collegiate Culture with Peers but Excessive Formality with Management

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, I enjoyed my experience at Huron and thought my peers were great. It was a collegiate atmosphere where peers helped one another out. I worked with a lot of fun, smart people.

Cons

Easily can get stuck specializing in something you're not interested in - this happened to me. I didn't want to specialize but there was a need for someone with any of this expertise. I got put in this group - expressed interest in other work - but was not given much experience outside of this specialty. Interactions with management were so formal to the point where I felt I couldn't be myself. And disagreeing with management is not taken well. Junior staff is essentially encouraged to always say 'yes' in order to nurture favoritism. This is common throughout the organization and with every MD I worked with, management seems to foster this formality. The formality also extends into promotions. It seems like you get promoted only when they have really no choice but to promote you. You have been working on a higher level for maybe a year already, even two years. You don't get promoted because management knows you can perform at the next level. Instead you are slowly, very slowly given incremental responsibilities until you are actually performing at the next level for a while. The organization was very Manager level heavy at the time I left Huron. Too many Managers and not enough seasoned Associates. As a result the promotion to Manager for an Associate becomes that much more difficult, unless you have been with Huron and within the same Group since graduating from college. They do favor internal promotions over new hires who have to 'prove' themselves.

9. Great Company

Former Contractor - Contract Attorney in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Contract Attorney in New York, NY

I worked at Huron Consulting Group as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I was a contract attorney for Huron. Great company. Good Management. Flexible hours.

Cons

There were no real cons.

10. A company with a fantastic set of values that they try to follow from top to bottom.

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has top notch values, bright hardworking people at every level that do things by the book. Hard work is rewarded.

Cons

You must be a self-starter, despite being on a team and collaboration being valued you must be able to get along with little support at times.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

11. New York branch has terrible managers in legal consulting team

Current Contractor - Document Review Attorney in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Document Review Attorney in New York, NY

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group as a contractor

Pros

Location of the office on Wall Street; Not a lot of overtime work; Company culture itself seems pleasant. Company gets good clients and interesting projects.

Cons

"Managers" have zero management skills. Unbelievable micro-managing, extreme lack of professionalism among one or two 'managers' who have sudden moments of pure tyranny. One manager treats workers like 5 year olds, does not know how to talk to people, and makes for a tense environment that slows productivity. Absolutely no support or guidance, No idea how such people actually get hired-does not seem to fit with Huron's culture. Also, no room for advancement or permanency, and thus, no motivation to put up with the nonsense or to do a good job.

Advice to Management

Look closely and then replace some of those in management in the NY legal consulting team that handles document review because they alienate the true professionals who can give their best to your company, even if on a temporary basis, and instead, attract the less skilled just because they are complacent.

RSS Feed </> Embed