Huron Consulting Group

Huron Consulting Group Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth

James H. (Jim) Roth

Pros:
  • "Work/Life balance is definitely one of the top in the nation"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Met some great people at the entry level"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance (challenge with many traveling consulting jobs I'm sure)"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Which I feel is a reflection of poor upper management"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company great benefits

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGrowing company with lots to offer

ConsIdiot leaders who drag the company down

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and bring in new leadership

None

Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsHuron is a great place to work. Especially the talent in my coworkers and the dedication of my leadership encourages me to stay.

ConsThe compensation and rate of pay could be better and i would be happier if they matched industry standards.

White boys club

Associate (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGood work life benefits ,compensation and perks.

ConsTake a look at the board of directors (All white). Take a look at the schools they hire from(Southern Christian schools). This is a white boys club and no amount of pink ribbon, blue ribbon helps. As a POC there have been numerous instances when I have felt racism under the radar. Its not prominent enough to ring alarm bells but the whole attitude would make you understand.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire Mitt Romney and a few more old Arthur Andersen white boys.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've had a great learning experience, but career opportunities depend heavily on your team

Analyst (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsWork life balance is variable depending on your group; here in Healthcare you can vary from 40-60 easily

ConsBad track record of hiring experienced people. They only nail it about 1/4 the time, and they fail miserably 1/4 the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop yourselves as leaders. Invest in more training for experienced hires when necessary, and be more selective of those you choose.

Strings Alongs Temp-Hire Workers

Sales Support Analyst (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsOverall, Huron (Healthcare division) was a friendly place to work.

ConsMy supervisor did not have effective training skills and I was left having to figure things out for myself and attempting to read people's minds - because what was communicated was contrary to what was actually wanted.

In addition, I was kept on as a full-time temp for nine months - waiting and expecting to be hired the whole time, while they expected me to work as if I were on staff. About seven months in, an additional temp was brought on board whom I had to help train. Then at nine months I was let go and discovered that I had been training my replacement temp.

It was a very frustrating experience being led on for nine months.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make someone a supervisor unless they have proven training and communication skills.

Smart People, Difficulty integrating experienced hires

ProsPeople are smart, young and capable. Leadership is finding the right areas to expand to continue to grow. Great emphasis on training. Lots of opps to travel.

ConsGrowing pains of pushing out of typical methodology, some outdated tools. Promotion process can be pretty complex and you have to have the right people in your court.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing all the right things to keep the company moving in a positive direction poised for growth.

Not a real consulting firn

Associate (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Prosthere was a lot of work and life balance. leadership also solicited feedback from staff to make project better.

ConsVery petty culture. No autonomy at any level. Just as inefficient as the clients we served. Management does not understand how to be real leaders. Client results were never really measured and there was no client accountability for implemented projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork at a real company and learn how to lead and manage staff…most importantly, understand there is a difference. Understand that most experienced hires have more consulting experience than leadership in place as leadership and management are not real consultants.

Not the Best Job in the world, but reasoanble

Document Review (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThey offered a doc review experience while I was waiting to hear for my Bar Result. Pay was OK. Their D.C. location had clean facility. Great to earn your living while waiting to get a real permanent job.

ConsThe work can be really tedious. Some folks just cannot handle the constant eye strain they'd get by doing the review all day.

Good start

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart people. Lots of training.

ConsIf you are not part of the "in" crowd, you will be targeted to take the downfall for others.

Great place to work

ProsAlways stays market relevant to win work

ConsInsular cultures between service lines

Worked for Huron Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!

Huron Consulting Group Videos

Huron Consulting Group – Why Work for Us?

Huron Consulting Group helps clients in diverse industries improve performance, reduce costs, leverage technology, process and review large amounts of complex data, address regulatory changes, recover from distress and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Huron Consulting Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Huron Consulting Group CEO James H. (Jim) Roth. All 233 reviews posted anonymously by Huron Consulting Group employees.