Huron Consulting Group Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014

3.5

Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth
James H. (Jim) Roth

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is definitely one of the top in the nation (in 30 reviews)

• Met some great people at the entry level (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (challenge with many traveling consulting jobs I'm sure) (in 20 reviews)

• Which I feel is a reflection of poor upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Strings Alongs Temp-Hire Workers

Former Employee - Sales Support Analyst  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Support Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall, Huron (Healthcare division) was a friendly place to work.

Cons

My supervisor did not have effective training skills and I was left having to figure things out for myself and attempting to read people's minds - because what was communicated was contrary to what was actually wanted.

In addition, I was kept on as a full-time temp for nine months - waiting and expecting to be hired the whole time, while they expected me to work as if I were on staff. About seven months in, an additional temp was brought on board whom I had to help train. Then at nine months I was let go and discovered that I had been training my replacement temp.

It was a very frustrating experience being led on for nine months.

Don't make someone a supervisor unless they have proven training and communication skills.

Good start

I worked at Huron Consulting Group

Pros

Smart people. Lots of training.

Cons

If you are not part of the "in" crowd, you will be targeted to take the downfall for others.

Great people despite company growing pains

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Huron has great benefits and employs a lot of wonderful people. They have a flexible model that allows people to work from home. Their time off policy is robust if you choose to use it- otherwise you do not get paid for any time when you leave the company..

Cons

Huron is still working on figuring out who they want to be when they grow up. When they figure it out, and get the right leadership in place, I think they will do extraordinarily well.

A clear, consistent, voice and vision would make a world of difference to the employees who are trying to carry it forward.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a real consulting firn

Former Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

there was a lot of work and life balance. leadership also solicited feedback from staff to make project better.

Cons

Very petty culture. No autonomy at any level. Just as inefficient as the clients we served. Management does not understand how to be real leaders. Client results were never really measured and there was no client accountability for implemented projects.

Work at a real company and learn how to lead and manage staff…most importantly, understand there is a difference. Understand that most experienced hires have more consulting experience than leadership in place as leadership and management are not real consultants.

STAY AWAY! Bi polar leadership w/ napoleon complexes, no work life balance, shifting responsibilities.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good standard benefits and vacation time allocated. There are very limited pros. The corporate and healthcare people are very friendly and so is HR. The Legal people and Legal IT are another story. One of the only pros was having your own cubical till they started removing those as well to give you an area of about 5 feet x 5 feet where you literally butted up against your team mate. Another pro was the revolving door, new people would teach you new things, but wouldn't stay long enough because they grew tired of the environment.

Cons

Low pay grade comparative to industry standards. Work life balance is not even considered in Legal (as you constantly get alerts all day and all night). Since you are working with Legal, your uptime has to be 100 percent or you will be working from home, at night, in the morning, and on your weekends a lot with no reimbursement of time as comp. You will be on call every 4 weeks, along with having to serve one weekend a month for maintenance which means you really only get 2 weekends a month with your family (even when you are off, you get calls and are expected to respond within 15-30 minutes). Better plan your vacations ahead of time so you can get away from the weekend issues and make sure you have someone to cover you. If you are on projects and you go on vacation/medical leave (even if your manager has updates right before you go) be expected to work during your vacation or at least respond while you are gone. Training is very limited, and the training you do get is on proprietary technology that no one else uses. Tools and access required to fix real world problems are not provided or rather limited to even many Senior level guys.

Be transparent with your business owners along with your team members. Failures that happen is because managers/directors do not fix environment when they are notified, not because they don't have the right technology. Set manageable goals, quit making assumptions regarding what people do outside normal business hours (establish that work life balance that HR promotes in their manuals), most importantly treat every employee with respect. Offer training that is outside the proprietary element so that people can further their careers and allow themselves to grow. Get rid of the old way of thinking and the old leaders that do not bring fresh insight, and bring in fresh leadership with stronger values aligned to the Huron values (work life balance) and better execution.

The Stockamp Culture is slowly eroding....

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The management that began their career with the legacy Stockamp practice is doing their best to maintain the culture that made that organization so successful.
    - Strong training and development both institutionally and from individual supervisors.
    - Meaningful and consistent feedback.
    - Opportunity to supervise others at a very early stage in your career.
    - Opportunity to travel to exciting places if you are lucky enough.
    - Great exposure to enterprise management software solutions if you are lucky enough to be assigned to a legacy Stockamp solution group.
    - Young vibrant culture on most project teams.
    - Make life long friends that are smarter than everyone else you know.

Cons

The Ex-Arthur Andersen partners that comprise Huron and the legacy Wellspring practice are applying the soul-crushing management practices that make management consulting a death march.
    - Your experience is 100% dependent upon the solution group you are placed in. There appears to be little thought given to how these placements are determined. New hires regardless of background are all considered to be homogeneous embryos.
    - Huron wants specialists not generalists. If you are an inquisitive, adaptive, and creative individual (read: a CONSULTANT), you will be bored after your second project.
    - The travel, like with most consulting firms, will wear everyone down over time. Much of this is out of Huron's control as client expectation often drives the often unnecessary presence on site.
    - Poor handoffs from the sales team to the delivery team often result in tremendous re-work and team dissatisfaction.
    - Some people get promoted that should never have even gotten through the door. Because they miss so badly on experienced hires, they try to compensate by growing from within whenever possible. This can often lead to people with Asperger's leading teams of 10 or more people. That's not to say there aren't some brilliant managers, but its 50/50 whether you get a star or a nincompoop.

Retire and let what's left of the Stockamp practice transform the broken talent management model.

Solid Doc Review gig.

Former Employee - Document Review  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Document Review in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

The best thing about working at Huron was that the hours were extremely flexible and that I was vastly overpaid for how easy my work was. The atmosphere was pleasant enough, there was all the free tea I could drink, and I spent most of 6 months getting caught up on my books on tape.

Cons

There were a lot of really weird people here. The interview process was minimal and it shows.

Keep it up, honestly. I can't imagine a doc review job could have been much more low-key.

Interesting place to work, supportive upper management and very flexible

Current Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexible, internal opportunities are many

Cons

traveling to the client weekly sometimes take a toll

Great company, great people.

Current Employee - Director of Operations  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Growing business, lots of opportunity.

Cons

Lack of synergy between Practices.

The organization -- both Company and employees -- could benefit by providing staffing rotations in different parts of the business.

Passionate and Ethically Driven

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group

Pros

Everyone is extremely passionate and takes the companies core values very seriously

Cons

100% Travel - makes work/life balance challenging

Worked for Huron Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!