Huron Consulting Group

Updated September 19, 2014
3.6

Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth
James H. (Jim) Roth

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is definitely one of the top in the nation (in 30 reviews)

• Met some great people at the entry level (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (challenge with many traveling consulting jobs I'm sure) (in 20 reviews)

• Which I feel is a reflection of poor upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Not for me

I worked at Huron Consulting Group

Pros

I think the benefits are nice.

Cons

Promotion does not seem to be measured by contribution; it seems to be determined by if senior management likes the individual.

There are good times and bad.

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Some of the people make work enjoyable and relative to Big 4 consulting, you have much more flexibility.

Cons

Life Sciences Senior Leadership does not lead and most definitely does not work together...be prepared to deal with politics and games constantly.

Exceptional Consulting Firm

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Healthcare expertise & growth opportunities for professionals.

Cons

Ability of consultants to move across practices/transition to new industry within the firm.

Continue to ensure consultants are exposed to Senior Leadership (e.g., Jim Roth, CEO)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great culture and colleagues

I worked at Huron Consulting Group

Pros

The pros: Great work/life balance, working environment, not a ton of travel if in the right group, awesome colleagues, good amount of socials and community service activities to be involved in, fair compensation but not great, interesting work, a lot of responsibility early on in your career.

Cons

Tough to get in with the right group and do exactly what you want to be doing. That is the nature of a client driven industry though. Promotions, evaluations and in turn compensation can be somewhat political.

Director

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group

Pros

Great culture, challenging work, good benefits

Cons

Work life balance (challenge with many traveling consulting jobs I'm sure). Very limited international opportunities.

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very dynamic working environment. Very good exposure to technology and training. The compensation is adequate for the job.

Cons

Client work can sometimes be overwhelming (I guess its the same everywhere). This tips the work/life balance.

None for now.

Great for those who no real healthcare experience

Former Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working in different hospitals and team members. Great pay for a 60+ hour week. Great for college students with no knowledge of how a hospital works or the patient relationship.

Cons

Coming into Huron Consulting, leave any experience/knowledge behind and begin to learn something brand new. Past experience will not be valued and seen as a threat when recommending what was successful once... Process improvement is only based Hurons best practices and methodology, don't challenge it. It's a "club" work environment.

There needs to be a better way to bring the experienced hires into the consulting role. I was so lost with no help from my management.

Good culture and work/life balance, Difficult to grow and advance

Current Employee - Healthcare Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Healthcare Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Huron promotes a fair work/life balance and is respectful of vacation time. They also have excellent benefits (insurance, travel bonus, annual bonus, etc) and generous annual raises. Although you'll work late when you're traveling, they expect reasonable hours when you're off-site (I work on weekends occasionally, but it is always my choice to do so). The annual conference is in Las Vegas and is a grand experience. Analysts are encouraged to take on responsibility both with the client and internally, so there is always opportunity to get involved. They offer meaningful philanthropy and community involvement opportunities. They broadcast and genuinely support their values (integrity, passion, collaboration, pursuit of excellence, and accountability); employees are recognized constantly for exhibiting these values.

Cons

Career advancement is heavily dependent your coach and project assignments. Hard work often isn't rewarded; If you want to advance, it's most important to have support in high places and be on the right project at the right time. Furthermore, the work can become repetitive. Projects tend to be iterations of the same thing over and over again. It is difficult to switch into a different branch of the company (called solution groups) if you don't enjoy what you're doing. Huron's method is highly successful and effective, so you WILL become very good at the specific thing you do; however, if you're looking to work on a variety of healthcare-related issues, Huron may not be a good fit.

Provide clear feedback and expectations to employees, consider your employee's career goals and be more supportive of employee growth, continue to promote the Huron values

The IT Department management is bad and they should feel bad.

Former Employee - Analyst\IT Support  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst\IT Support in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They emphasize on training and give you options of what training you can take. Generous vacation/PTO days. Very friendly and super nice employees outside of IT.

Cons

The IT department is in disarray and divided.There is the network team and then everyone else.The network team is the worst group of people I've ever had the displeasure of working with. If you ask them question or go to them for help you get eye rolls and short, unhelpful answers.That group has a problem of keeping employees. Which I feel is a reflection of poor upper management.
    Another problem I had when I was working there is that management does not have your back. They will throw you under the bus so fast to make themselves look good to other management. Even the HR person for IT is a waste of office space.The times I went to HR with complaints they were ignored or I was brushed off.
    It was such a weight of my shoulders when I left Huron and found a place were IT management actually cares about you.

Take care of your regular employees rather than protecting management since your employees are the ones who actually do the work. Start fresh with the network/infrastructure team, starting with the top guy. He is the weak link in the Huron chain.

(Micro)Management , Culture is good.

Current Employee - Associate  in  Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Associate in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work culture which varies across teams.

Cons

No autonomy for individual employees, everything comes top down. Cant survive without an ' YES BOSS ' mentality, micro management is a set norm( pee breaks and coffee breaks are carefully observed not wether work done or not). Compensation is based on weaknesses.

Trust your Employees , plan better so everyone is set for sucess , not setting up agggressive goals and draining down employees physically and mentally

Worked for Huron Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!