Huron Consulting Group

Updated September 9, 2014
3.5

Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth
James H. (Jim) Roth

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is definitely one of the top in the nation (in 30 reviews)

• Met some great people at the entry level (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (challenge with many traveling consulting jobs I'm sure) (in 20 reviews)

• Which I feel is a reflection of poor upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

A unique opportunity

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive Salary and Benefits
    Generous PTO
    Opportunity to learn the in's and out's of the healthcare industry (revenue cycle in this case)
    Opportunity to build consulting skills and own real client-benefit driving initiatives (even for those who are fairly new to the company)
    Huron allows consultants to keep all travel benefits (airline miles, hotel points, they all go to your personal accounts)

Cons

Communication, in many ways, could be better. From Vision discussions down to day-to-day strategy, many times the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing.

Work to identify methods to improve communication between senior leadership and management, between engagements, between solution groups, and even between functional units on the same project

Find a more effective way to build a meritocracy. A few extra % points on a bonus, for an exceptional year, is not a strong motivator.

Huron Consulting Group

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group

Pros

Great experience & work life balance

Cons

100% travel Mon-Thurs every week.

Great

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group

Pros

Great place to work, great people

Cons

can't say anything that is bad

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Former Employee - Contract Attorney  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Contract Attorney in New York, NY

I worked at Huron Consulting Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I was a contract attorney for Huron. Great company. Good Management. Flexible hours.

Cons

There were no real cons.

A company with a fantastic set of values that they try to follow from top to bottom.

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company has top notch values, bright hardworking people at every level that do things by the book. Hard work is rewarded.

Cons

You must be a self-starter, despite being on a team and collaboration being valued you must be able to get along with little support at times.

Keep it up.

OK if you're a billable consultant, not so much for corp employees

Former Employee - IT Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have some nice benefits, such as work-life allowance (that's an extra $300 per year you can spend on gym memberships, bike purchase etc), they allow you to keep the bonus points accrued by your corporate credit card (which is kinda weird, as essentially this motivates employees to spend more in corporate expenses), you can get some retail discounts with their corporate program. Fairly nice career paths for billable consultants (or so I heard). Stock matching options. You may meet some nice and professional people over there and learn from them, if you're lucky.

Cons

If you're a corporate employee, there's virtually no career growth or professional development. During my time there, I obtained a number of professional certifications (like PMP etc.), and wasn't reimbursed a dime for training or certification fees. Oh, and no raise as well. Either I would be told that this isn't aligned to my career path at Huron, or my supervisor would just dodge the conversation. I knew some people there who've been an analysts for more than five years with no substantial raise or promotion. Ironically enough, they appear to promote PD and even have an online "Huron Academy", which is nothing but a big joke - it's mostly focused on anti-sexual harassment and anti-bribery training.

There's a lot of office politics involved, and quite often people who succeed there aren't the brightest, but the ones who kiss butts best/most. I met some IT managers over there with both technical and managerial skills of a grapefruit. As you can learn by reading the Wikipedia article about Huron, the company was formed by former Arthur Andersen partners and in addition to that was involved into a major scandal in 2009. Now, after I worked there, I think I know why.

Like any large company, there's lots of time wasted on all kinds of conference calls, most of them have no purpose whatsoever and are conducted simply because they are scheduled or to make managers happy. One example would be - when one of the practice leaders got fired, we had 4 (that is four, and I'm not exaggerating) calls about 20 minutes each where all of us had to listen how good it is that he's being kicked out and how better our life now would be (needless to say that most of us never seen this guy and didn't care at all). Weekly conference status call, monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly and semi-monthly with a senior assistant of an apprentice of a junior manager - we had to put most of them on mute while laughing, because the guy had to have a one hour call every week with his reports, but unfortunately had nothing to say at all. I feel bad for him now.

That being said, not everything above applies to billable consultants, as far as I know they enjoy regular tenure-based promotions and PD isn't an issue whatsoever. So it's pretty much like two different companies.

Think more of people who enable your consultants to do their job.

Let the good times roll, somewhere else....

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Healthcare benefits are great, very low out of pocket costs. Decent place to start a career out of college to learn the ropes of being a professional, but not for a long term career

Cons

Work life balance is never a company priority, career progression is limited with a flat structure and mgmt culture that puts you where they want you, not where you want to be. Promotions are based on popularity not skill and merit. Pay raises are rarely more than 3-4% a year.

Care about your employees and their careers, stop following the "old boys club" rules.

approach with caution

Former Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

-great pay and benefits for entry level position

Cons

-expected to work 24/7; poor work/life balance
    -very high turnover
    -quick to terminate if you are not producing results
    -very egotistical and elitist staff
    -cut throat
    -expected to know everything within one month
    -do not teach--expect you to know EVERYTHING
    -difficult to get promoted unless you know the right people
    -cookie cutter approach to implementation
    -expect lots and lots of feedback. You are ALWAYS being watched

start hiring people who actually embrace your mission and values.

Huron is one of the best companies to work for.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great working environment - professional, fun, lots of challenges and opportunities to grow.

Cons

There are no cons of working at Huron.

Awful atmosphere, drone like responsiiblities

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can learn extensively about formatting PowerPoint, Excel and Word documents. The travel benefits are decent, and they provide more vacation than some comparable companies.

Cons

90% of Huron healthcare are new graduates with little to no healthcare experience. As any healthcare professional will tell you, this is limited. Unfortunately, knowledge of the healthcare industry is not appreciated. The ideal candidate will like to work on repetitive, checklist based tasks.
    There is a lack of trust amongst employees, because everyone is trying to get ahead. Therefore, anything you say and do, will be used against you, especially during review time.
    No true development: The mark of a learning organization, is to help people learn from their mistakes. Not at Huron, if you make a mistake, it will be used against you for years. It is often cloaked as "feedback", and is mostly for documentation, not learning purposes.
    If you are experienced, the only way to get ahead is to kiss a lot of butt. If you didn't come right out of college and start at Huron you are often ostracized. It's extremely limiting as far as creativity and new ideas.
    Will churn and burn analysts, they are expendable employees.

Worked for Huron Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!