Huron Consulting Group

Huron Consulting Group Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth

James H. (Jim) Roth

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is definitely one of the top in the nation (in 30 reviews)

• Met some great people at the entry level (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (challenge with many traveling consulting jobs I'm sure) (in 20 reviews)

• Which I feel is a reflection of poor upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, you learn a lot but work hard.

Healthcare Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsExperience you'll leverage throughout your career. They build strong work ethic, professionalism, and teach fundamental consulting skills. Although I didn't enjoy my time working there, i wouldn't change anything. Reflecting on what i learned was valuable and couldn't have been obtained any other way.

Cons-Long hours (especially during go-live. Go-live hours are typically 6 AM - 11 PM.)
    -They expect a ridiculous amount of work from you, at all levels
    -As an analyst, be ready to do a lotttt of busy work
    -Traveling gets very tiring after some time
    -Little to no work life balance
    -Pay is okay, compared to competitors
    -Many teams party hard (drinking, bars, etc.), if you enjoy the social scene then you'll be okay

Worked as a contract attorney doing document review

Contract Attorney (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsPaid quickly, very organized, polite managers.

ConsExtremely strict with billing the client, they watch you closely and monitor your output. This is not that uncommon on doc review but still not great conditions to work under.

Huron is one of the best companies to work for.

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGreat working environment - professional, fun, lots of challenges and opportunities to grow.

ConsThere are no cons of working at Huron.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Satisfied Director at Huron

Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSmart People; Inspirational
    Good Resources; Budgets to get what you need
    Organized & Methodical; seems to be a process for almost everything
    Collaborative; cross department work is pretty solid
    Good Communication; mostly within departments

ConsCan be difficult to get promoted
    HR can be difficult to work with
    Decent amount of turnover
    Communication down from Senior Management is spotty
    Vision is a bit ambiguous for Director level and below

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more about the vision for the coming year(s).

Not a place for Experienced Hires

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Travel bonus
    -Benefits
    - Some good people

Cons- 90% of Huron healthcare are new graduates with little to no healthcare experience. The ones with healthcare experience, gained it only through working at Huron. As any healthcare professional will tell you, this is limited
    - Gossip culture: There is a lack of trust amongst employees, because everyone is trying to get ahead. Therefore, anything you say and do, will be used against you, especially during review time.
    - No true development: The mark of a learning organization, is to help people learn from their mistakes. Not at Huron, if you make a mistake, it will be used against you for years. It is often cloaked as "feedback"
    - The solutions are not vetted. People cling onto methodology, which stunts creativity.
    - NO respect for clinical personnel. Clinicians or people with previous management experience outside of healthcare are not valued.
    - If you are experienced, the only way to get ahead is to kiss a lot of butt.
    - They sell more work, than the manpower to complete a quality project. Due to turnover, more new people are being placed on projects. This decrease the quality of the work being produced.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is all hat and no cattle. Create a true value add for your client. Look at your exit interviews.

1st round interview

Consultant (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsLaid back and I felt pretty comfortable. The interviewer was typing the whole time and engaged when needed. The questions were straight forward.

ConsSo far I have no cons. I really liked the company and I wish to move forward with them. Although since there was only 30 min I felt pretty rushed. I'm curious to see how the next one will go.

Good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat people to work with

Consamount of extra internal work

Great Internship Experience

Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat Work/Life balance
    Pays well

ConsConcentration in a specific field

Advice to Senior Managementnone

They are all about working 24/7 and getting those numbers. Not people friendly.

Director (Former Employee)

ProsSalary & great benefits - but when you broke it down to the hours I had to work, the salary wasn't worth it.

ConsNO WORK/LIFE BALANCE. They own you. Work grinder environment. If you aren't working on three engagements and not involved in 15 work groups you are not doing enough. 70% of work force is just out of college. They are willing to work 24/7 and prolong their college life, only now they have money and can travel. Not a work environment for the seasoned professional. Huron is not interested in new ideas or improving. They are interested in hitting their numbers and getting "quick hits." Upper management is clueless. They claim to have values but it is simply on paper to prevent law suits.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those out in the field. Engage in productive dialogue about what could be improved in your practice. It is not perfect despite what you are being told.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not great for experienced consultants

Pros- Great Benefits
    - Interesting Projects
    - Great for Entry Level Positions
    - A lot to learn if you are willing to put in the time and effort

Cons- High School popularity contest within each group
    - Horrible at Business Development
    - Lack of resources to move new projects forward
    - Executive team lacks vision for future growth / development of brand and services needed by clients

Advice to Senior Management- Give everyone you hire a chance before making decisions about them

Worked for Huron Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!