Huron Consulting Group

Updated December 2, 2014
3.4

Huron Consulting Group President, CEO and Director James H. (Jim) Roth
James H. (Jim) Roth

Pros
  • Huron promotes a fair work/life balance and is respectful of vacation time (in 34 reviews)

• Met some great people at the entry level (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance (challenge with many traveling consulting jobs I'm sure) (in 24 reviews)

• Which I feel is a reflection of poor upper management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not the Best Job in the world, but reasoanble

Former Employee - Document Review in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Document Review in Washington, DC

I worked at Huron Consulting Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

They offered a doc review experience while I was waiting to hear for my Bar Result. Pay was OK. Their D.C. location had clean facility. Great to earn your living while waiting to get a real permanent job.

Cons

The work can be really tedious. Some folks just cannot handle the constant eye strain they'd get by doing the review all day.

Flexible hours, zero accountability

Former Employee - Document Review Attorney/QC in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Document Review Attorney/QC in Washington, DC

I worked at Huron Consulting Group as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

At the doc review position in D.C., Huron has flexible hours and doesn't record every minute you take to get a drink or go to the bathroom. Many other doc review companies will do that.
    The staff is very friendly and great to work with.
    Huron provides a great introduction to Relativity for new reviewers and understands the learning curve sometimes associated with the program.
    They do accept those who are pending for a bar. So, if you've just taken the bar exam and need a job, apply here. I didn't realize that was an option when I took the bar. It's a great opportunity to take advantage of for three months while you wait for results.

Cons

Huron works specifically for the clients' needs, but this has a negative impact on contracting attorneys' work. As a contractor, the project you sign up for could be delayed for numerous weeks, most times without follow-ups on when it will start or if it will start. Cancellation of projects is really common after you've already signed up and been confirmed for the work.
    The pay is below market rate at 26/hour for attorneys reviewing documents and 32/hour for quality control attorneys who re-review docs and help manage the projects.
    They accept people waiting for bar results. This lowers the rate they pay for the work completed since half the people in the room aren't barred attorneys.

More transparency with contracting attorneys about project delays and cancellations. The third-party hiring model creates guess work and unclear communication for the contracting attorneys.

OK if you're a billable consultant, not so much for corp employees

Former Employee - IT Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - IT Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Huron Consulting Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have some nice benefits, such as work-life allowance (that's an extra $300 per year you can spend on gym memberships, bike purchase etc), they allow you to keep the bonus points accrued by your corporate credit card (which is kinda weird, as essentially this motivates employees to spend more in corporate expenses), you can get some retail discounts with their corporate program. Fairly nice career paths for billable consultants (or so I heard). Stock matching options. You may meet some nice and professional people over there and learn from them, if you're lucky.

Cons

If you're a corporate employee, there's virtually no career growth or professional development. During my time there, I obtained a number of professional certifications (like PMP etc.), and wasn't reimbursed a dime for training or certification fees. Oh, and no raise as well. Either I would be told that this isn't aligned to my career path at Huron, or my supervisor would just dodge the conversation. I knew some people there who've been an analysts for more than five years with no substantial raise or promotion. Ironically enough, they appear to promote PD and even have an online "Huron Academy", which is nothing but a big joke - it's mostly focused on anti-sexual harassment and anti-bribery training.

There's a lot of office politics involved, and quite often people who succeed there aren't the brightest, but the ones who kiss butts best/most. I met some IT managers over there with both technical and managerial skills of a grapefruit. As you can learn by reading the Wikipedia article about Huron, the company was formed by former Arthur Andersen partners and in addition to that was involved into a major scandal in 2009. Now, after I worked there, I think I know why.

Like any large company, there's lots of time wasted on all kinds of conference calls, most of them have no purpose whatsoever and are conducted simply because they are scheduled or to make managers happy. One example would be - when one of the practice leaders got fired, we had 4 (that is four, and I'm not exaggerating) calls about 20 minutes each where all of us had to listen how good it is that he's being kicked out and how better our life now would be (needless to say that most of us never seen this guy and didn't care at all). Weekly conference status call, monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly and semi-monthly with a senior assistant of an apprentice of a junior manager - we had to put most of them on mute while laughing, because the guy had to have a one hour call every week with his reports, but unfortunately had nothing to say at all. I feel bad for him now.

That being said, not everything above applies to billable consultants, as far as I know they enjoy regular tenure-based promotions and PD isn't an issue whatsoever. So it's pretty much like two different companies.

Think more of people who enable your consultants to do their job.

Worked as a contract attorney doing document review

Former Employee - Contract Attorney in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Contract Attorney in Washington, DC

I worked at Huron Consulting Group (less than a year)

Pros

Paid quickly, very organized, polite managers.

Cons

Extremely strict with billing the client, they watch you closely and monitor your output. This is not that uncommon on doc review but still not great conditions to work under.

New Employee's Review of Huron

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Huron Consulting Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company seems to have combined the top tier / large consulting firms' (Anderson, Accenture, Deloitte, etc.) polish while managing a smaller size and feel (approx 2500 employees)

Cons

TBD on cons - not sure what they are / would be (besides the usual consulting cons of travel wear, "business need" of assignments, and a typical, somewhat arrogant / "we are smarter than everyone" mentality of the staff). Either way, these are manageable and somewhat typical for the industry so nothing negative to say.

none for now

Consulting Hell

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Huron Consulting Group

Pros

Money and job-title inflation. You can get in and be assigned responsibilities far beyonf your experience

Cons

Money and work hours. Punishing deadlines. Lots of responsibility without the authority to execute or to push back.

You are going to burn this dump to the ground in another couple of years

Huron Consulting Group Photos