Husky Energy

Be The First To
Add Photos

Husky Energy President, CEO, and Director Asim Ghosh

Asim Ghosh

Pros
  • Good work-life balance with family-oriented atmosphere(in 6 reviews)

• Met a lot of great people working for the company(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Verbally abusive behaviours at director levels, dishonesty, emotional/reactive/irrational decision-making, public berrating of subordinates(in 3 reviews)

• Every award, managed to award individuals that worked closely with Senior management(in 3 reviews)

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working as a Husky consultant

Tax Consultant (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsAs a mature worker no one is looking over my shoulder hounding me about something that needs to be done. I have hard deadlines that need to be met and I am given the latitude to meet those deadlines in the way I see fit to get the work done in a timely manner

ConsI have not experienced any cons in this position. All my interactions with permanent staff are positive and cooperative. The work is within the scope of my experience and just requires time to work on the problems and does not require any formal upgrading of my skills. As worker in his 44th year of working I am able to work independently.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice for management, I am satisfied with the work environment and the callaboration from my fellow workers.

Great place to work

Engineer (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsSalary and Compensation are top-notch.
    Opportunities for career growth plentiful as Husky Energy has a number of projects online and upcoming all over the world.
    Diversity is a core company value.

ConsDifficulty to attend courses / training not provided in-house.
    Difficult to be aware of what is going on with the rest of the rather large company.

Fairly Okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsFreehand to contribute, Information flow is fantastic

ConsHighly Politicised, slow decision making

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease always see to having a level playing ground for all candidate applying for a vacant positions

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

overall good company

Deskside Analyst (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Prospay is good for a new grad

Consa lot of walls in the management

Advice to Senior Managementreduce bureaucracy

Great place to work with lots of opportunities!

Lead (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsSo many great people, projects and opportunities - never a dull moment!

ConsThere are no significant cons to working at Husky.

Ok to work for

Engineer (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood sized company with some good opportunities.
    Average pay and benefits and improved training program.

ConsPending what business unit you work at , some leads and managers are not good at doing work but good at playing games.

great opportunity

Software Consultant (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Prosfriendly and great company to work for

Consnothing to comment on great company.....

Silos, silos, more silos and favouritism

IT Architect (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood hiring process. Smart coworkers

ConsManagement not in tune with its staff and promotions are based off of favouritism. Too many silos and the group's don't play nice with other groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some time to communicate with your staff more frequently. You might discover you have some pretty smart and sociable staff and not just "minions"

Generally good, but a culture of disempowerment impedes progress

IS Projecgt Manager (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsSeasoned, pragmatic and realistic business clients
    Some truly talented people in IS

ConsIS is very cheap - penny-wise and pound-foolish
    Most leaders use intimidation as their primary management tactic
    Most promotions based on back-door deals rather than merit

Advice to Senior ManagementPut a stop to the intimidation and bullying - it's driving the best people away
    Focus on fundamentals - get the basics right, THEN reach further
    Stop referring to yourselves as "Senior Management" - that's VPs, SVPs and the CEO

This is not the IT career you're looking for

IS Analyst (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsMost co-workers are nice and understanding of gripes with management.
    Relatively flexible schedule
    Employee pay and benefits are reasonable

ConsManagement focus was always directed upwards to the manger higher up in chain, as opposed to directed downward or neutrally on employee operation. Which meant that all managers were bogged down with meetings and reports. If you had a problem with your job or a project, then you would need to schedule a meeting with your manager, as they were never around to talk to.

Lack of management availability created a backlog of problems and issues that needed to be dealt with, thus creating an attitude of "deal with it yourself." This lack of management availability ultimately turned the workplace into a group of independent workers as opposed to a team of employees.

Lack of obvious direction. Goal cards, Management Employee reviews, etc. All are designed to create workplace objectives that constantly move the department in a forward direction. However many goals are set on objectives that are not quantifiable nor were measurable. So setting effective SMART goals on non SMART objectives rendered many objectives inneffective. This left many employees failing their objectives, and receiving generally negative or neutral reviews, and receiving non to little annual bonus. Those that did well on objectives were able to do so by shifting the reason for not succeeding goals as a "dependency" of another team or employee, more or less "Passing the buck."

I can't say this for other sub-departments within IS, but my department's senior manager had a reputation for swearing, belittling employees in meetings, and screaming. All things aside he managed to stay there for quite a while until I heard news that he was layed off and rumours because he was having an intimate relationship with a contractor he was trying to employ as a senior manager, how much of it is truth I don't know, but the fact that employees are spreading these rumours seems to indicate that the atmosphere is still negative.

Employee recognition awards, they were political and showed to all the employees how narrow Management's view was. Every award, managed to award individuals that worked closely with Senior management. The awards were meant to be unbiased, but still managed to be biased because of the way manager's focused their attention. They didn't see the work of employees at the front-line, because they wouldn't see past the work of the managers just below them.

Every failure was a success. Some way, some how, a project failure turned into a success. A failed production deployment with very little adopters, somehow turned into a succesful test pilot. This happened on one project for 3 years. The employees all knew it was a failure, but management always seemed to tout those things as a success. It created confusion, and a distrust of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep out of your office, cancel half of your meetings. Start talking with the employees on the floor. I could go on, but I don't actually think management knows about Glassdoor and even if they did, I doubt they would do anything at all to change it.

Worked for Husky Energy? Contribute to the Community!