Hutchinson Technology

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hutchinson Technology President, CEO, and Director Wayne M. Fortun

Wayne M. Fortun

Another vicitim of the Recession, bad management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Eau Claire, WI

ProsGreat salary, benefits, personal improvement classes offered when I worked there.

ConsMany layoffs, hiring of temp workers that were unprofessional/ used foul language on occasion when I worked there.

Private cafeteria closed and hot water machine was removed. Had to walk to cafeteria area to get coffee.

Advice to Senior ManagementDump or sell the bio division and concentrate on gaining market share.

The factory in Thailand never should have been built on a flood prone area, would have been better to keep the assembly jobs in the U.S so they could purchase the hard drives we helped make...

Used to be a great place to work...

Engineer (Former Employee) Hutchinson, MN

ProsHTI was a great company -- spent 19 years there. In the later years, it got a little depressing with constant threats of layoffs. But speaking from just a company point of view: competive pay (with the cities), always treated with respect and integrity (as a woman engineer), challenging projects, great benefits. Always opportunities to move around within the company, training was supported and encouraged.

ConsNot sure the medical division was the right avenue for company growth.

Advice to Senior Management.

Started out good but has become very depressing and frustrating to work at HTI

Skilled Trade (Current Employee) Eau Claire, WI

ProsWages are fair and the benefits were good at one time. Very high tech equipment and clean work environment

Cons12 hour shifts, tracking overtime worked in case of a need to force someone to work, many benefits taken away, mandatory overtime enforced, poorly managed, supervisors not addressing issue when needed, letting good productive workers go and keeping ones who are a waste of space.

Advice to Senior ManagementHTI had 75% of the market at one time and now it is sitting at about 15%, this is not because of the people working and putting out the parts. Biomed division dump it because it has gone no where. Upper management having orientation and lunch with employees hired through an employment service, what a slap in the face how about the employees that have stuck with the company through all the hard times! Good people are leaving left and right wake up management and get your act together!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I think I now know how the people on the Titanic felt.

Engineering Technician (Former Employee) Hutchinson, MN

ProsThe engineers that you work with are some of the brightest people I know. The engineering challenges are cutting edge.

ConsCompany is imploding since many of the disk drive manufacturers have consolidated and taken business elsewhere or in-house. Solid state drives are already competitive on an IO basis and when their prices drop, they will decimate this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can no longer pretend this is an industry that will rebound or that the medical device division will ever materialize as a serious player after going nowhere for over a decade.

Great place to work twenty years ago, OK place to work now.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hutchinson, MN

ProsOverall this is a fairly decent place to work. The pay is excellent for skilled positions and the benefits are average.

ConsThe biggest issue now is the loss of market share and inability to reverse that trend in the near future, if at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep back and compare your company's current status compared to ten to fifteen years ago and take the necessary actions to turn this thing around. Make honest business decisions based on only business, not personal relationships.

Until the layoffs hit, it was a great place to work.

CM Administrator (Former Employee) Hutchinson, MN

ProsHad great internal, ongoing training system; middle management and below were great people; had great facilities (lunchroom, exercise room, work environment)

ConsUpper management's vision failed in moving into flash drive production. "Buddy" system counted more for who got laid off than did quality or knowledge/education. Also too much thought into making big bucks for the stock holders than doing what is right ... however, no understanding as to why upper management continues to post raises and bonuses received with no remorse for those who don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of CEO asap and his personal buddies! Many, many wrong decisions in who was laid off and who was kept ... it just might be too late to recover! Need to think QUALITY, need to go back and find the HUMAN quality again.

Unstable

Quality Engineer (Former Employee) Hutchinson, MN

ProsSound systems, good work life balance

ConsUnstable. Regular layoffs, arrogant management

Advice to Senior ManagementSell while you can

Working as an Engineer with HTI.

Process Development Engineer (Current Employee) Hutchinson, MN

ProsBreadth of skills and knowledge that you gain working at HTI is second to none. After, at least a year or two of working there, you will have gained experience in engineering tools and techniques that could be beneficial in future employment positions, should you seek to move to another company.
    The employees are all friendly and helpful and, for the most part, work together very well, keeping the focus on the common goal of making good produc t and minimizing scrap.

ConsThe downside is the current financial position of the company, which has led to multiple layoffs and corporate restructuring, leaving behind a wave of overworked employees with little incentive or motivation to stay with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe leadership is probably doing the best that they can, given the current financial position of the company.

Two words. Bad Management.

Manager (Former Employee) Hutchinson, MN

ProsI will say the benefits were good, I think that the salaries were probably fairly competitive at the time, not sure if that is still the case.

ConsAgain, Bad management. They really need to get some new blood. Whatever new ideas there are get quashed quickly. Just based on my experience with other companies, I'm shocked that the stockholders haven't kicked those guys to the curb.

Advice to Senior ManagementI seriously do not think this management team has the ability to turn things around but if they have any hope, its let go of the past. inbreeding causes the same damage to a company as it does to horses.

An under-diversified company that moves at the whim of the tech industry.

Process Development Engineer (Current Employee) Hutchinson, MN

ProsWhile working at HTI I had a great relationship with my manager and supervisor. Overall I really enjoyed my experience. This being my first job the company was helpful in bringing me up to speed and supporting me through my first few difficult projects.

ConsTechnology tends to be a boom and bust market; HTI is no exception to this, in down times there is very little job security in the company and this can make everything very stressful. The company has invested a lot of money in 2 ventures recently and has been disappointed in the payback on those investments. Both product timeliness were too aggressive and the company has struggled to capitalize on their investment during this rough economic time.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of the life time employees had seen this type of business cycle before, this one felt worse because it coincided with the recession in the general economy but as in the past this recent bust cycle for the company seems to have hit bottom. I believe HTI is here to stay though a greater diversification in product line is needed in order to stabilize the employment cycles that the company sees.

Worked for Hutchinson Technology? Contribute to the Community!