Hutton Communications

2.2

John C. Walker

MADMEN

I worked at Hutton Communications

Pros

There is a growing group of people who genuinely care about the company, and doing the right thing.

Cons

There is a select group of upper management that protect each other by down playing or overlooking some ridiculous actions from their peers.

There needs to be a large focus on business etiquette. While internally this is important, the external perception of the company is in need of repair.

24 YEARS IN DISTRIBUTION

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hutton Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When I discuss Hutton's future in distribution with the top people in the industry, the carriers, the top vendors and manufacturers, they all agree that Hutton has the basic infastructure to be a dynamic force. All of them seem to be perplexed at the incompetence and waste of talent and time. It is truly sad to watch such good, hard working people being churned into compost.

Cons

Hutton changed management in 1998 or 1999, and when Bill Mueller left, the company was at the top of it's game. I had been with the company for 8 years at that time, but after a taste of their new management, I left within a month. The new management put a software system in place, that does not function, slowing sales and opperations down to a train wreck. I returned in 2010, and the company is now termanally cancerous. Beyond comprehension.

ADVISE TO BOARD OF DIRECTORS....Your company is hemoraging. COMMSCOPE / ANDREW are now gone. Commscope felt TERRIBLE they had to terminate your contract. I tried at EVERY level to bring some common sense to management, but Johnny Walker conned you all, and it was really heartbreaking to those of us that VALUED our many years, and made us look like fools to our valued customers.

Overworked, under compensated

I worked at Hutton Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work environment, pop machine, lesser employees

Cons

Management does not care unless you are in the sales department.

N/a

Some Nice People, One Bad Company

I have been working at Hutton Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Once you can make it to full time, the benefits are decent. The insurance is expensive for families. There is 401(k) and EAP's for full time work. Pay is decent; one can live off it, if frugal. There are a few genuinely nice people despite many wolves in sheep's clothing.

Cons

Poor work/life balance. Pay isn't that great. Higher-ups don't care about employees as people but will work and drive them into the ground and let them go without a second thought. It's expected for your job to be your life. No raises or incentives to work harder. Just rewarded with more work if do well. Back-stabbing, insincere people. A lot of gossip and high school social levels. People just there to survive. Hardly anyone cares about the work itself, just how to get by. Negativity and complacency abound. People are kept as temps for too long and too quickly let go. It's a resource-poor company that barely gets by.

Treat your employees better. Take the time to understand that people are people and treat them as such. Be more upfront regarding reality and expectations. Give people raises and bonuses when they do well; don't keep them at the same pay rate for years and years. Value people and they will gladly work harder and better for you.

Accounting

I worked at Hutton Communications as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

it has a good future

Cons

too much of a Click attitude instead of business.

check why there is a great turnover rate in the Collections Dept.

Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carrollton, TX

I worked at Hutton Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working at Hutton. This was a totally new career path for me and I had much to learn. Most of the more seasoned staff were very willing to help the new people as they learned the product line. Hutton sold a wide array of items from many different manufacturers. Almost weekly we received factory training on various items sold by the company.

Cons

As a customer service rep we took telephone calls from people wishing to buy products sold by the company. Because of the customer contact I felt this was a very important position. However, there were some people there who looked down on us considering us the lowest rung on the company ladder so to speak.

Mid to upper management realized the importance of the CSR’s. They need to find a way to make sure everyone understands the role CSR’s play in the business dynamic.

Unrealized Potential

Current Employee - Withheld in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Withheld in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hutton Communications full-time

Pros

Nationwide footprint.
    Distributes for nearly all of the major wireless manufacturers.
    Work/life are well balanced.

Cons

Account Managers will have territories and/or segments that will overlap.
    Most Inside Sales Reps are unfamiliar with the industry, and it's technology and equipment.
    Sans commission, base salary is low.
    Employee's health insurance costs are exorbitant.

Acquire executive managers that have an actual and solid background in the wireless industry, and not just in sales.

Can't get out of its own way

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hutton Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great industry, good opportunity for a go getter

Cons

Saw too many talented people let go because they wanted to bring in new talent from other similar companies that proved out to be flops. . Seems like they are always looking to fix things that are not broken and ignoring the things that are.

New is not necessarily better