Huxley Reviews

Reset
3.3
Huxley CEO Gary Elden
Gary Elden

When I read these reviews I was worried, I shouldn't have been.

Current Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in New York, NY

Pros

I nearly didn't turn up for the interview based on what I read here then a friend pointed out that I was judging a company that was voted as one of the best places to work in New York on an anonymous site. A site where any one individual with an axe to grind can write whatever they want. I am glad I came along and interviewed, I think I would have missed an opportunity of a lifetime. I met nice people who were very honest about the work required and there have been no surprises so far. I met people who struggled at the beginning but then could show me pay checks for huge amounts and some of these people were pretty new. As for the basic salary, it seems in line with the other recruitment jobs I applied for and I interviewed for many sales jobs that offered no basic at all. The training is great and yes they have a very strict structure that they work to but it worked for me. The other people who joined around the same time seem to be also making deals. I had no recruitment background so I don't know what else to expect but I am happy. I would say give them a try, go see what they are about and most of all make a decision based on what you feel, not what you read!

Cons

The interview process is really tough and tiring, they are very honest about what to expect in the job and so don't think that the person is trying to test you, it is really like that. Expect to work long hours - its not that you are forced to but to be good at this job you will need to speak to candidates when they can speak to you, unfortunately that means often into the evenings and although I haven't had to yet, one of the girls had an urgent job and she came in for 3 hours on Saturday to find candidates.

Advice to Management

I am not sure I have enough experience to offer them any kind of advice, maybe they should write some sort of official comment on here.

Best career decision I ever made!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Career progression - this is a genuinely great opportunity for someone who is looking to progress based on their own merit/performance. During my time with the company (five years) I have been promoted 5 times, have absolute autonomy in my role and have had an opportunity to seed several new ventures within the firm. This isn't my first job and I cannot think of any other company that would allow for such rapid progression solely on merit. A huge plus that the company is expanding at a rapid rate. Money - I've always taken responsibility for my performance and as a result have earned fantastic commission year after year. Its a performance based compensation culture - if you perform well you are paid well. If you don't perform well you aren't paid well! Simple formula and one I have always been comfortable with. Fun - this is work hard play hard. That means go out and party by all means (with or without your colleagues) but be sure to turn up for work on time the next day. Punctuality is the mark of a good company to me and in five years I've yet to turn up to work late. I've travelled more during my time with this company than I would have imagined - Ski Trips, Vegas, Barcelona, Ibiza, Miami, The Bahamas etc etc. Again all merit based. Training - Huxley offer hands down the best training program in the industry. Awards - Huxley were voted as one of the best companies to work for in New York City! Internal Mobility - if you are successful in your role/team/office you are able to apply for future roles/development opportunities in other new locations (i.e Asia, Europe, Latin America or elsewhere in the States). Reputation - Huxley have a great reputation in the industry. The proof is in the results - you cannot quadruple an office in size in the space of 2 Years if you aren't developing and retaining clients. Incidentally you cannot expand across the Globe without a strong reputation either.

Cons

Career Progression - to reiterate this is a merit based environment. The interview process is designed to make sure that the culture and job the company has to offer genuinely matches what you are looking for. If you are not ambitious and prepared to go the extra mile for results this just isn't for you. You will find plenty of other jobs with a flat salary that would be a better fit. Accountability - the management team really do want people who can take ownership of their own day and generate consistent results. The quicker you are able to take responsibility for your own productivity the more autonomy you will have over your own day. If you are not self motivated and results oriented that day will never come. Misery does not love company! There isn't a place for negativity in this company - if the glass is always empty you certainly will not find many like minded individuals to moan at the water cooler with. This is a tough/competitive job - if you don't have the backbone or drive for this be honest with yourself before even starting the process and don't apply!!!!!

Advice to Management

The company and office continues to grow so something is going right!!!

Huxley - great for strong and motivated sales people

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

They offer strong and talented sales people or junior sales people a great career opportunity. This is a job for people who genuinely want to do a sales job and who are driven by success and reward. No the right job if you just want to be average. The company is growing and opening new offices and will have tons of opportunities for strong candidates. Have several examples around me of people who have had great success and continue to have great career opportunities. Love the chance to potentially work in other cities or countries. Great role models around me as well including a few of the best producers globally in the firm. They are all very approachable and really nice and helpful.

Cons

Not the right environment for people who just want to have a 9-5 job and think they can still make a lot of money. You get somewhere if you work hard and show that you can produce. It's a meritocratic environment and people who are really good get fast-tracked. Not the easiest job in the world, but if that was the case then it wouldn't pay you nearly as well either.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the business. I love the opportunity and I am looking forward to keep growing in this business. The more we grow the better the opportunities for me :-)

If you want a career in sales, you couldn't make a better decision than joining Huxley.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

A fantastic company to work for if you are looking for a career in a sales driven envrionment. They offer the opportunity for people without prior recruitment experience, and also without prior sales experience to go through an award winning training course and receive constant coaching and support to build on their skills. The office is a really fun environment to work in - everyone has a work hard play hard attitude, it is friendly competitive where everyone will help each other out, but equally there are always new sales competitions being rolled out to motivate people to win holidays, meals out, shopping sprees, bottles of champagne etc etc. People are really social and I always see work colleagues out on the weekends for drinks. The company is totally organically grown and 100% meritocratic, so everyone who joins has the same opportunity to progress and it is down to the individual as to how far you want to progress your career. The company has huge growth plans currently underway for the US so its a really exciting time to be joining and to be coming through the ranks. A lot of the recruitment companies I've looked into before I joined Huxley either don't offer a base salary, or you have a draw, or you have to be a resourcer for someone else first of all, all of which sounds awful. Huxley has a base salary and commission on everything you earn. The scheme is designed to motivate you to do more deals so you get a higher % with the more you bill. This is brilliant for driving your own sales.

Cons

If you are looking for an easy life, then this probably isn't for you. The company is fantastic to work for in every way, but it is a sales company and therefore if you are not doing the sales, you will feel the pressure. I noticed a few comments about the hours - they are 9-6 and lots of people leave the office at 6 or shortly after, however, there are also those who stay later and who come in at the weekend because they are motivated to bill more for their own paycheck and career progression. Its totally up to the individual. The environment is very structured and process driven so if you hate working in that sort of environment its probably not for you. Personally I love it. It give me the focus I need to stay on track and know where I am against my own targets and against my 'competition'.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! It is totally inspiring to see that you have all come through from a trainee position as well and I love the direction the company is going with all the growth opportunities across the US.

6. Have been offered opportunities as my career and skills have grown

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

Pros

I've had support throughout my career in order to get to where I want to be next in my career. The training, support and development is excellent and appropriate for the skills I have needed at each job I have been fortunate enough to have had here. I will say that some people don't get those opportunities but I like that as it's genuinely meritocratic. As soon as I've been able to prove myself, the next opportunity was ready and waiting. Not just a great place to learn sales but also to grow into a true businessperson in a fun environment.

Cons

It's hard work, there's no doubt about it but the reward makes it worthwhile. I've seen people who have lost their way and those are the people who haven't been promoted. You really get what you deserve.

Advice to Management

Keep the business growing so there are constantly more and more opportunities to go around

7. Great Training and Opportunity to progress if you want it

Current Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in New York, NY

Pros

I am here for a few month now, learning tons every day and getting great training and support from the people around me. Everyone is styraight forward with feedback and I know what I need to do to progress my career. Awesome opportunities for growth with new offices in Chicago this year. Tons of people around me just got promoted and get loads of responsibility after just two or three years. If you deliver and prove you can do the job then it seems opportunities are up for grabs.

Cons

Sales job that takes a lot of work with a steep learning curve. They give you good structure how to succeed and I really like that. as you progress and get better you get a lot more freedom. It's a sales job with rejection and a lot of the salary coming from commission, but ion return this means that you can make more than $100k in your second year out of school. Have seen the commission checks of some of the people on my desk and I am looking forward to learn as fast as possible to get those as well.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing me to be the best I can be.

8. So far so good....

Current Employee - Trainee Recruitment COnsultant in New York, NY

Pros

Joined Huxley about five months ago and have to say am so far very glad I did. The first few months were pretty crazy... I learnt a LOT!!! In the last few months though I'm really starting to see my work pay off, and have already done a few deals. When I have needed help my managers have always been very approachable and supportive. My coworkers have been great too ....really great bunch of people. Looking forward to my first promotion with the company!

Cons

I've seen a few people mention long hours on here..is that a con? I just assumed that was a given for any sales job where you actually intend to be successful!!!!

9. Great Company! Great Opportunity! Company has come along way since I have joined.

Current Employee - Sstm in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sstm in New York, NY

I have been working at Huxley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to make really good money! Great Culture and people! Great vacation and benefits. Great training and career path. Career path is transparent from day one. Meritocracy. I joined 6 years ago and the environment was very rigid and structured and now there is a lot of flexibility.

Cons

You have to work hard!

Advice to Management

Keep making the work environment bett for all the employees!

10. You get back what you put in!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Huxley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Huxley has always come through with what they have promised. That's hard to say about an employer. It's a work hard play hard environment and if you dedicate the time and hard work it will pay off. The company has strong financial backing of a larger parent company yet still retains an entreprenurial feel to the day to day work. If you identify an opportunity in the market, you are empowered to chase it and build a business around it. Great growth in the US and not stopping anytime soon!

Cons

Open floor plan - not the place to work if you want a cubicle and quiet setting. Relatively structured environment as well.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees and play to their strengths!

11. Exciting plans for growth in the Americas

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Huxley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm excited that the board has agreed to back huge growth in the Americas. We are about 140 ppl across the Americas right now and the plan is to grow to 500 by 2017. We only promote from within so there are opportunities for fast tracked career development into management and maybe even to open up new business areas

Cons

Not for the faint hearted or people who can't work in a loud, fast paced environment (not a con for me but I guess it's not right for some people)

Advice to Management

Continue to stretch people so they can take on more and more responsibility

RSS Feed </> Embed